Forums > Personal > Another sick pet

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Back in October, we lost one of our cats - a 9-year-old - to cancer. Now my oldest, Slinky, who will be 13 on Friday, has two lumps on her hip.

The vet isn't sure what they are but said they could simply be fatty masses. However, these feel solid so the chance of that is slim... unless they've formed beneath the muscle.

We had four options. Do nothing. Needle aspiration. Biopsy. Or remove the masses completely.

I figure if I had to decide for me, I'd want those lumps removed. Period. So that's what I decided. I think it's the right thing, but I can't help be afraid for her.

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning. 9:30. The results, however, will take nearly 2 weeks.

This one is my baby. I found her way back when she was only 4 weeks old. She'd been abandoned by her mother. She weighed only 4 ounces and was near death due to a severe respiratory infection. At the time, the vet said to give her antibiotics "and pray". She's had a great 13 years since then but I'm greedy and want her to have yet another baker's dozen.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm so sorry to hear about this, MagicalFreddieMercury. I've got bad news to report on Boots too.
She was doing fine right after the surgery, and went I went home Saturday afternoon all was well. But I just came back today, and she's doing the throwing up/diarreah/not eating thing again. She goes in Thursday to get the stitches removed, but if she's like this they will want to keep her and do more things....but I'm out of money. That surgery she just had took away my living money for the next three weeks...I literally have nothing left to spend on her.
I'm looking around the internet right now to see what I can do, but I'm thinking not much. She's either going to pull through this if she wants to live, or she's not.
My best wishes to you and your cat....best of luck to you both

Formerly MHG
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

I've got bad news to report on Boots too.

Oh, no, no, no. I thought it was 'no news is good news' where Boots was concerned. Could it be her diet? Maybe she's allergic to the food? It might sound silly, but all of my cats needed a prescription diet and they've done incredibly well with it. Just a thought. I soooo hope things work out for the two of you. I'm so very sorry you have to go through this.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

='( All this about sick cats makes me sad. It reminds me of my cat, who sadly didn't make it because he had a cancer from a lump on his hip.
I really hope your cat gets better, MagicalFreddieMercury, and CMUHistorygirl too.

Back whenever
QueenTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3881 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aaaaww :( I love kitties!! I wish the best of luck to both of your cats-I hope they get better!!

"May you all have champagne for breakfast." (: http://theroyalqueenspad.queenzone.com/
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awww I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of her and hope for a speedy recovery! I'm sure it is not her time yet.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Magicalfreddiemercury, I am very sorry to hear about your furbaby. Hopefully she will pull through this and be back to herself very soon.

CMU, thats just awful about Boots. I hope sure hope she pulls out of this for you. :-(

Good luck to the four of you!

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 30 May 07, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Update - surgery went very well. Slinky will stay at the hospital overnight. Best part? The preliminary report is they were BOTH fatty masses - completely benign. No cancer. I can't wait until she's home to hug her. And I know, I have to wait for the official report, but I trust this vet and he was quite certain.

We're very happy in our house right now. :-)

CMU HistoryGirl... how's Boots doing? Let us hear good news...

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 30 May 07, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish there was good news to tell. I guess it is kinda good, in a way.
I called the vet this morning, and they said keep food away from her, and force feed her Pedialite until I could get into to my appointment tomorrow.
I went to work, after forcing some water into her, and she was lathargic, but OK.
I came home tonight with the Pedialite and went into the bedroom where I'd shut her to keep her out of the food. She is dead.
I'm driving back to my parents house tonight to bury her...if I can stop crying long enough to drive.

Formerly MHG
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 30 May 07, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG. I am so very, very sorry. This is shocking and so heartbreaking. I wish there were something I could say to make this at least a little less painful for you but I doubt if there is.

I am so sorry. <<hugs>>

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am sorry about your cat, CMU HistoryGirl :(. It's heart breaking to see how much worrying and suffering a pet can bring you. Loss and pain are always the price to pay for love. So at least you have had the love, even though it may not be aconsolation for you now. I hope you feel better soon.

I do not want any google ads here.

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am so sorry to hear about Boots. :-( That is just heartbreaking. I'm sure she knew you loved her very much and that you did all that for her.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So sorry, the post above was mine. Bob was logged in and I didn't realize.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 31 May 07, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm so sorry, CMUHistory Girl. :((

(I just edited out some stuff I had written about my dog...I'm just going to start a thread, and not hijack this one).

Hugs.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 31 May 07, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was really shocked to read that, CMU HistoryGirl. Hope the burial went well and that you are holding up OK. Very sad to lose a pet.

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 31 May 07, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
As this is Magical's thread (and her cat seems to be doing well) I will not write here any more...I don't want to hijack the thread. I might write more about it in my blog (in my signature line) once I can.
The next few days will be rough...and I will miss her terribly for a long time. But your kind words have helped...you guys rock

Formerly MHG
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 31 May 07, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that is sad news CMU....im sure you gave her an amazing life to live, and shes probably in freddies house of a million cats ;-)

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 31 May 07, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

As this is Magical's thread (and her cat seems to be doing to hijack the thread.

Please don't give that another thought. If you want to write here and share, please do, if not, no worries.

And you're right, you will miss her for a long time. Eventually, the pain will subside though and soon enough thinking of her will make you smile not cry.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 31 May 07, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

As this is Magical's thread (and her cat seems to be doing to hijack the thread.

Please don't give that another thought. If you want to write here and share, please do, if not, no worries.

Ditto, CMUHistoryGirl! And I never meant to imply that you were hijacking the thread in the post I made. I'm sorry that might have come out all wrong.

I'm afraid I have not been thinking too well today... :((

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 31 May 07, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No no no...that's not what I meant.
What I meant was, this thread is about Magical and her Slinky...this is not a thread for me to go blabbering on about myself and my loss.
I never thought you were hijacking, Beautiful Soup. When I made my reply, I simply meant that I would not hijack it with my stuff.
It was my worry.

Formerly MHG