forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biggest Queen rip-off?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Valensia

At least The Darkness and Mika write original songs

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Valensia

At least The Darkness and Mika write original songs

Ditto.

Killed by drones.
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Valensia's the only one that can actually sound like Queen.

But then again, Mika is not a Queen ripoff. The Darkness just stole a few riffs, and Valensia stole the sound.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Check out Justin's myspace page....

Got 4 new tunes on there, all of them pretty darn good.

http://www.myspace.com/justinhawkinspanther

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gay in the 80's!!!! XD
Luv it!

Killed by drones.
runy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika :P

Saule pasaulis :D

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Valensian Sky Surveillance wrote:

But then again, Mika is not a Queen ripoff. The Darkness just stole a few riffs, and Valensia stole the sound.

Why do you want to sound like Queen? Isn't it more challanging to make your own sound?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why do you want to sound like Queen? Isn't it more challanging to make your own sound?

HA HA! Brilliant!!!
And so true, by the way. This is why Valensia is not a complex artists, though his songs may be technically complex...it's still just a copy in the end, which makes it simple.

Formerly MHG
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not want to sound like Queen. But saying IT'S A RIP-OFF it's so easy. Have you ever tried to sound like Queen? It's no walk in the park.

Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

HA HA! Brilliant!!!
And so true, by the way. This is why Valensia is not a complex artists, though his songs may be technically complex...it's still just a copy in the end, which makes it simple.
That makes no sense.

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's so complicated about it? Seems pretty easy to understand to me.
Since all Valensia does is copy Queen, he is not a complex artist. Complex performer, maybe. But not a complex artist. Half of the difficulty of being an artist is coming up with new material...which this guy clearly doesn't do...he cops out and copies other art forms that blazed the trail before him. He may choose complex stuff to copy, but it's still a copy, ergo, not original. Ergo, he is merely a performer, not an artist in the true sense of the word.
If he wanted to be a truly great performer, which he seems capable of being, he needs to stop copying other people's stuff and come up with new things on his own.

Formerly MHG
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, now we're talking bullshit. A performer but not an artist?? WHAT AN INSULT!! Elvis never wrote a single fucking song in his life, then he is not an artist? For fuck's sake!!

And I must ask, what did you listen of Valens' stuff? Did you listen to all of his 9 records plus the 2 V albums? I don't think so.

So go to listen, and then come back and tell me if he always copies Queen. Can't think of a Queen song like The Polka or Thunderbolt.

runy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I listened to some various songs Valensia sings (queen covers including) and I must agree that his voice sounds nice in Queen songs and he has similar to Freddie's voice timbre, maybe just not that strong.
But I wouldn't listen to him for his own stuff. Just didn't like the style.

This is why I choose Mika. I like both his voice and music. And I like his whole album, not just a single song.

Saule pasaulis :D

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, now we're talking bullshit. A performer but not an artist?? WHAT AN INSULT!! Elvis never wrote a single fucking song in his life, then he is not an artist? For fuck's sake!!

And I must ask, what did you listen of Valens' stuff? Did you listen to all of his 9 records plus the 2 V albums? I don't think so.

So go to listen, and then come back and tell me if he always copies Queen. Can't think of a Queen song like The Polka or Thunderbolt.

Yes, a performer...not an artist. Elvis wasn't one either. I realize I'll probably be flamed for saying that, but oh well. Performers are amazing, but if you can't come up with one creative song that is completely your own, no "borrowing" from anyone else, then you are merely a performer, though you may write songs.
It was a stretch to say that he "always" copies Queen..."always" is a dangerous word to use. But since he has copied them in the past, then, at best he is a good performer, and a mediocre artist.
Be original, for once, and come up with something original that is all your own. That's what makes a great artist.

Formerly MHG
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Yes, a performer...not an artist. Elvis wasn't one either. I realize I'll probably be flamed for saying that, but oh well. Performers are amazing, but if you can't come up with one creative song that is completely your own, no "borrowing" from anyone else, then you are merely a performer, though you may write songs.
It was a stretch to say that he "always" copies Queen..."always" is a dangerous word to use. But since he has copied them in the past, then, at best he is a good performer, and a mediocre artist.
Be original, for once, and come up with something original that is all your own. That's what makes a great artist.
Did you just read what you wrote?

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

**wonders why she bothers**
In the end, it is a matter of opinion. I happen to think that if you rely on other bands for your music, then you aren't an artist...merely a performer...on the same scale as cover bands.
An artist by definition is something that creates something new, a performer can create things, but uses something that has been given to them, and thus creates on only a surface level.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Neither is more valid than the other. Let's just leave it at that.

Formerly MHG
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmph to all this, I'm not even going to read it. How's that for diplomacy

There doesn't need to be all that much negativity in this thread because on principle alone I'd stand by any of the artists discussed. If bluegrass musicians, or jazz musicians, or whoever... all quit their jobs when they thought the genre had been pushed as far as it could be, then we wouldn't HAVE that music anymore.
Music needs to be alive. Having it as a recorded legacy is not enough. It needs to continue to grow, to have things done to it.... even a cover is not a bad thing, when done creatively.

While I do think Valensia sails too close to being derivative, it's something that has to be admired because he's at least trying to keep a kind of music alive. It's not *bad* music.... in my opinion it's a little too much like copying. But hell, either you like his music on it's own, or you hate it, hear someone say "that's ripping off Queen" and then go and investigate. Boom - another Queen fan. No one loses. Least of all Valensia - debate all you want about his originality, but he's actually pretty good at what he does. Fine voice. Good player.

As for Mika and the Darkness.... people need not get so worked up, again. The Darkness were fine if you took them as a joke band (which I did). And Mika... well fuck. Good at what he does, and only very young... give him a chance to develop.

(salutes all)

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"And Mika... well fuck. Good at what he does, and only very young... give him a chance to develop."

Well put, Zebonka. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people hear who have flamed Mika have done so because of the line "so I tried a little Freddie", and thought "Freddie clone!" Actually, the song is about the difficulty of trying to establish yourself in the bullshit world of music, and he "tried a little Freddie" because he was unsure of what he should be to people in the industry. The song is a total fuck you to the music industry, so good on him for that. I think that Mika obviously is heavily influenced by Freddie, and that shows in his playing and the affectation on his vocals, but I'm pretty sure Freddie was influenced by people like Liza Minelli and Robert Plant so it's not like Freddie was Freddie on the first Queen album. Give Mika time, he may suck, he may have a great career, but let him stand on his own without having to slam him for trying to be like someone else.

You know, good times are now.
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy Thomas Raker wrote:

"And Mika... well fuck. Good at what he does, and only very young... give him a chance to develop."

Well put, Zebonka. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people hear who have flamed Mika have done so because of the line "so I tried a little Freddie", and thought "Freddie clone!" Actually, the song is about the difficulty of trying to establish yourself in the bullshit world of music, and he "tried a little Freddie" because he was unsure of what he should be to people in the industry. The song is a total fuck you to the music industry, so good on him for that. I think that Mika obviously is heavily influenced by Freddie, and that shows in his playing and the affectation on his vocals, but I'm pretty sure Freddie was influenced by people like Liza Minelli and Robert Plant so it's not like Freddie was Freddie on the first Queen album. Give Mika time, he may suck, he may have a great career, but let him stand on his own without having to slam him for trying to be like someone else.

Agree completely!

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.