Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Who worked the hardest on the stage?

forum rss feed
Author

MamaQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 461 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First let me tell you that I'm no Queen expert. I have a lot of CDs, but have seen just a few concerts in videos.

I always thought that Freddie was the one who moved the most, sweat the most, and worked out like creazy while on stage.
But now I noticed Roger and how hard he worked to play those drums, he really put all his energy and passion in there and must have been exsosted at the end.
We all know that John and Brian didn't move much (but it doesn't mean that they didn't play with passion).
What makes me laugh is when Brian starts walking forward with the guitar and then walks back to his place. It looks like someone winde him up from the back.

Any comments about the guys physical efforts on the stage?

Freddie es como Carlos Gardel: cada dia canta mejor.
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was always sprinting across the stage, jumping over things, doing push-ups, etc. At the same time, he was always into the show, and seemed to be just having fun.

Brian tends to not run around too much--except during his guitar solo, when he takes off around the stage. That's just his personality onstage, but as technical as his guitar work is, I wouldn't be sprinting around the stage during "Hammer to Fall" and the ilk myself.

There are few things more impressive than watching Roger Taylor hit complex drum parts while singing. Not many other drummers can handle lead vocals while doing overly complex percussion--whenever Peter Criss took lead vocals at KISS shows, his already mediocre drumming would go down a notch again. Dave Grohl is a great drummer and a decent lead vocalist, but he's not very good at doing both at the same time (which is why Taylor Hawkins gets up to sing when Grohl goes to the drums).

Really, only John Deacon didn't always look like he was going nuts, but he got some of the more difficult bass parts in any rock band. Even still, he'd hop around some (as can be seen to great comedic effect during Wembley).

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian was the member that spend more time onstage.

Very few moments shows Brian offstage, maybe during the "day-o" moment or the Roger`s timpani solo.

P.

Queen rocks!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 07, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian had to work harder in the matter of switching instruments: in 'Races' tour he'd had to play electric guitar, acoustic guitar and ukelele and of course do the backing vocals. From 1979 to 1982 he had to play piano on 'Save Me' (and the occasional 'Flash' and 'Teo'), as well as acoustic and electric guitars: during 'Crazy' he had to play three different guitars (the acoustic, the Tele and the Red Special). Such switching of instruments isn't particularly taxing per se, but it surely takes more energy than what the others did.

Otoh, even touhgh Roger spent most of the concert at the drum-kit, it's possible that he had more phisical work considering that the tracks were very different from each other (e.g. 'Stone Cold Crazy' vs 'Leroy Brown') and he had to sing on nearly every song (and in several cases he actually sang more difficult parts than Freddie). Plus he had a bigger responsibility: if Brian missed one note (which happened several times), he simply took over later or whatever. Same for Freddie. But Roger had to be flawless (as much as possible) otherwise they all got lost.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they all did....

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deaky's sexy-ness worked the hardest in the 70's...and I know all :P

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
LadySonnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I often think if Roger got some extra-payment by the others for damages on the working place. I think he should. Poor soul! This drums-hitting is as hard as working in the mines.

Cheers,

Eliza

And eventhough the time did pass

and memories tired lied,

and we will all be turned to dust

your song shall never die!
lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say its between Freddie and Roger who exerted the most energy on stage. I would give a slight edge to Freddie though

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's relative. Apples and oranges. Can you compare frontmen/singers to drummer/singers to lead guitarist/singers to bassist/singers ...(oh, oops, ha ha).

How about Freddie's energy on stage as a frontman/singer compared to..oh..Jagger - or someone else?

Roger compared with whoever...

Brian compared with whoever...

and John compared with whoever...

I dunno. Just another angle to consider.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MamaQueen wrote:

What makes me laugh is when Brian starts walking forward with the guitar and then walks back to his place. It looks like someone winde him up from the back.

I think that's because he uses a footswitch/pedal to control the tune.

junketerQ2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, it would have to be John definitely. You see I dont think I ever saw John sitting down during a concert - but the other 3?

Roger was the laziest cos he sat on his arse for virtually the whole show, followed by Freddie who sat on his at the piano for quite a few numbers, & then finally Brian who sat on his on a stool for the acoustic stuff!!! But John? Cant remember ever seeing him sitting!!!

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

junketerQ2 wrote:

Oh, it would have to be John definitely. You see I dont think I ever saw John sitting down during a concert - but the other 3?

Roger was the laziest cos he sat on his arse for virtually the whole show, followed by Freddie who sat on his at the piano for quite a few numbers, & then finally Brian who sat on his on a stool for the acoustic stuff!!! But John? Cant remember ever seeing him sitting!!![/QUOTE

What an IDIOT

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. (:

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Got no sense of humour lyricalassasin?

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good reasoning about John, junketerQ2, but I always thought it was Spike who worked the hardest...

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

MamaQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 461 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, what I wanted to say is that it amazes me how he can be constantly hitting those drums and don't miss a beat and sing!. He sweats the bullet. I've never seen anybody work so hard while sitting on his ass. :-D

Freddie es como Carlos Gardel: cada dia canta mejor.

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, on a serious note, I would say that the most physically demanding job on stage would definitely be the drums, so Roger would have worked hardest in the physical sense.
But who gave it their "all" the most? That would have to be Freddie surely!

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You could probably estimate the physical exertion by counting the drink and towel moments that Freddie and Roger required during a show.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People act as if John isn't moving on stage and just stands there. I actually think he's moving quite a bit more than Brian.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

You could probably estimate the physical exertion by counting the drink and towel moments that Freddie and Roger required during a show.

Some people sweat more than others without neccesarily being working harder. And some get tired more easily too. Considering Roger and Freddie smoked during most of the 80s, it's obvious that their physical condition wouldn't be the best, so they probably got tired more than Brian, but it doesn't mean his physical activity was less exhausting than theirs.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.