Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Roger's vocal range.

forum rss feed
Author

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most men can reach the whistle register, I think, but very few actually use it to sing.

?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think he used the whistle register. He did use falsetto several times though.

Roger's range was quite large, actually, since he could hit very high notes without falsetto (such as the high E in 'More Of That Jazz'), but he could get them quite low as well ('Strange Frontier', 'I Wanna Testify').

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roger's range is

A0 - Ad infinitum

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I know, is that within 10 minutes of playing 'In The Lap Of The Gods', half the neighborhood dogs would be on our front yard.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

All I know, is that within 10 minutes of playing 'In The Lap Of The Gods', half the neighborhood dogs would be on our front yard.

that song came to mind when i saw this thread! XD

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty sure Roger never used whistle register. Not on record, anyway!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian

Posted: 02 Jun 07, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Both Roger and Freddie sang higher notes than the 880 Hz A on recordings. And I'm quite sure they both could get higher than their recorded notes.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well.

i dont think so.

because you can hear freddie in japan doeing a d5 and i think that he cannot do higher.

maybe f5 but thats it.

and roger cannot go higher then his f4 on bohrap.

thats almost impossible

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

bobo the chimp

Posted: 04 Jun 07, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

innuendo1990 wrote stuff

Please don't. This thread was going fine.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 07, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

innuendo1990 wrote stuff

I'm surprised he didn't put GREETZ on the end of the message. xD

Back whenever
you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

innuendo1990 wrote stuff

LMAO!!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can sing about 13 octaves below the middle C.

The only thing is that I can't prove it, because you wouldn't be able to hear it

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
bobo the chimp

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was Freddie a baritone or a tenor?

:)

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was gay

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen to rainbow 74 in the lap of the gods roger owns that "aahhhhhh"

Sebastian

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed that's always been a neverending debate. I'm positive he was a tenor: neither his speaking voice nor his singing matched that of a baritone. Montserrat's comment could be a misquote or she simply didn't take enough time to study his voice and properly classify it.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Indeed that's always been a neverending debate. I'm positive he was a tenor: neither his speaking voice nor his singing matched that of a baritone. Montserrat's comment could be a misquote or she simply didn't take enough time to study his voice and properly classify it.

Well I was just trying to see if anyone would go for the bait (as this has been one of those muchly-argued topics over the years) but thanks for the food-for-thought.

I always rather figured that those definitions were more aimed at classical singing? I never found them very valid concerning Freddie, or other rock singers, who *really* don't do opera very well in the traditional sense.
I'm not bagging his work on Barcelona for a second; I loved it. However.... it really is just a rock singer singing prettier songs.

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[Average Queenzoner modus on]

NO! NO! NO!@!!!!!!
You go to hell and you die!

Freddie was a god he was a rock singer who could also sing opera very well, he is the best singer of all time and there never will be a better singer!!!!!!

[/Average Queenzone modus off]

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 07, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Sebastian

Posted: 12 Jun 07, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

Well I was just trying to see if anyone would go for the bait (as this has been one of those muchly-argued topics over the years) but thanks for the food-for-thought.

I always rather figured that those definitions were more aimed at classical singing? I never found them very valid concerning Freddie, or other rock singers, who *really* don't do opera very well in the traditional sense.
I'm not bagging his work on Barcelona for a second; I loved it. However.... it really is just a rock singer singing prettier songs.

I loved 'Barcelona' too, but I'm aware that it shows that Montserrat's technique goes light years beyond Freddie's. Since pop/rock singers usually employ head voice most of the time, rather than chest, indeed the ranges involved are different, and so are the tracks themselves. Freddie was an extraordinary vocalist but of course he'd got loads of flaws.