Forums > Queen - General Discussion > a point or two about Body Language.....

forum rss feed
Author

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well here's just a few thoughts I had while recently listening to Hot Space and more specifically, the infamous Body Language....I've heard a lot of people saying its maybe the worst thing Queen ever released....but I dont know, I dont really mind it too much.........nothing of great consequence, but semi-enjoyable, I'd say....I just wonder what different reactions people would have from it if it was on Mr Bad Guy....I know that was 3 years later, but if you think about it, Body Language practically IS a Freddie Mercury solo song, save for a few guitar licks towards the very end.......and by the way, just WHAT is so 'gay' about this song? I dont really get it from the lyrics, unless theres some sort of reference to something that I dont get...not that I'd really have a big problem if there was......

Enough rambling for now :)

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's not the worst queen song. In my opinion the worst queen songs are "fun it' and "more of that jazz" but it's obviously not the best of tunes. I think the biggest problem with body language is that it was released as the first single from hot space. If it wasn't the first single I don't think it would have been such a big deal. I'm not sure if this song sounds like a gay anthem or not. I personally don't give a shit anyway. That's for the homophobes to talk about.

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ HEY! Fun It and More Of That Jazz are awesome songs!

I think Cool Cat is one of Queens worst songs...

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the jazz album, but those two songs didn't need to be on it. Fun it is alright, but more of that jazz?

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like a whole can of worms has been opened about which queen songs are the worst.In my opinion there are three including the above Jazz tracks and the hideous for me Dragon Attack, oh and Get Down Make Love.

Why not start a topic with the worst 10 Queen songs?

Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ Dragon Attack is cool, I like being able to hear Johnny play the bass!

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song was not popular among Queen fans and not among the "general public", either. I think the reason is that 1. there was nothing remotely Rock 'n Roll left and 2. it was too suggestive for the time - the video was never played anywhere. I don't believe it was perceived as "gay" - at least I don't remember that this was much of an issue. In fact, I don't even know what a "gay" song is supposed to sound like. The third reason is of course, that it's a bad song. A bad song does not stand the test of time. While real old songs like "Killer Queen" or "Seaside Rendezvous" still sound fresh and young, Body Language sounds old, tired and sordid imo.

I do not want any google ads here.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a big hit in the U.S. though, and was a bigger hit than Tie Your Mother Down here in the UK.

gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i would have to agree with darren. body language is ok and the whole hot space album is fun to listen to. dragon attack and get down make love i really don't like.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The King Of Rhye wrote:

well here's just a few thoughts I had while recently listening to Hot Space and more specifically, the infamous Body Language....I've heard a lot of people saying its maybe the worst thing Queen ever released....but I dont know, I dont really mind it too much.........nothing of great consequence, but semi-enjoyable, I'd say....I just wonder what different reactions people would have from it if it was on Mr Bad Guy....I know that was 3 years later, but if you think about it, Body Language practically IS a Freddie Mercury solo song, save for a few guitar licks towards the very end.......and by the way, just WHAT is so 'gay' about this song? I dont really get it from the lyrics, unless theres some sort of reference to something that I dont get...not that I'd really have a big problem if there was......

Enough rambling for now :)

"Staying Power" is more of a Freddie solo song than Body Language. Body Language was their last successful single in America it broke the top ten, did better than Under Pressure.

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Worst Queen song is "Bicycle Race" by far...You don't know what a gay song sounds like? Listen to "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" if that's not a gay song then there isn't such a thing then....Furthermore its very common knowledge that Freddie was inspired to write "Bicycle Race" when the Tour De France passed by his Hotel he was staying in and the site of all those men in tight lycra shorts got him fired up.....LoL.....So there ya have it, 2 GAY SONGS....Peace

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Body Language did not break the US top 10. It hit 11 on the Billboard Top 100, the definitive guide for singles back in the day.

2. Bicycle Race the worst song in the Queen catalogue? Oh dear. Sparse instrumentation, great vocals, changing melodies, complex time signatures, a bicycle bell interlude and a guitar solo mimicing the thrust and parry of a bicycle race? All in a 3 minute single? Classic Queen.

3. Unless I don't have the version about getting your cock sucked, GOFLB is ambiguous.

You know, good times are now.
Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Body Language is ok, but not a good Queen song. Cool Cat and Delilah are FAR worse. Dragon Attack is friggin' awesome and Get Down Make Love is also a great song.

Bicycle Race gay? WHAT? Freddie is bashing American culture there. Read the damn lyrics!

GOFLB is NOT a gay anthem. If anything it is a back and forth song between the LB and his homies. That's how I perceive it.

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everybody has there own interpretation on which Queen songs are the band's worst. Therefore, it would seem senseless for us to argue over it. But for heaven's sake, Bicycle Race and Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy being "gay" songs? I can see why some people might think that, for that has even crossed my mind at one point. However, now when I think about it I find it to be quite a foolish idea. First of all, who really cares if it was written with a "gay" theme by Freddie? Those are two of his greatest compositions, and furthermore they demonstrate his ability to write in more complex time signature transitions. Besides, where does it say "this is a gay themed song?" Give me a break. Take a listen at Justin Hawkin's tongue in cheek song "Gay in the eightees."

http://www.myspace.com/justinhawkinspanther

Now, that was a gay themed song.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

unfortunately HS is littered with songs that could be nominated for "worst queen song"
dancer / cool cat / body language / put out the fire

i agree with Mike about "more of that jazz" - very much a filler/reprise type track

other notable nominees?
you don't fool me
delilah
don't try so hard
my baby does me
one year of love
pain is so close to pleasure
machines
don;t try suicide

go deo na h√Čireann
Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden user not visiting Queenzone.com
Um...hi.
Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden
Royalty: 1009 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE Body Language! And I LOVE Fun It and More of That Jazz! But I really don't like Dragon Attack, All Dead, All Dead, Jesus, and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

I find it difficult to navigate QZ at this very moment.
M e user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are you guys talking about? Every song that Queen ever produced is the epitome of recorded music.

...Jeez

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Delilah is such a gay song, but I love it!!

:)
QueenTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3881 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley fan86 wrote:

I LOVE Body Language! And I LOVE Fun It and More of That Jazz! But I really don't like Dragon Attack, All Dead, All Dead, Jesus, and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

I love all of those except for Body Language. It's ok, but I don't like it that much.

"May you all have champagne for breakfast." (: http://theroyalqueenspad.queenzone.com/
gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 07, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All Dead All Dead is great. Pure Brian at his best. I love it.