Forums > Personal > Rolling Stones tickets do not sell

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Only a few days before the concert in Frankfurt on June 13th, the Stones offer considerably cheaper general admission tickets and move the stage from the smaller end to the long side of the stadium thus removing 10 000 unsold seats. They simply do not sell 35 000 tickets between 84 and 190 euros, now they offer general admission tickets for 59 euros hoping to sell 25 000. It's great that people finally stop paying these exaggerated prices, I hope it becomes a trend.


I do not want any google ads here.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seriously hope this becomes a trend as well. Too often in the past have I stopped going to gigs because of the over-bloated ticket price. As much as I like the Stones, I would never pay their exorbitant ticket prices. 190 euro's is scandalous.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roughly, how much is 1 euro compared to 1 pound?


"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1 euro is about 0,67 pounds or 1,35 US dollars
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Amazingly, the first ever and only Barbra Streisand concert in Germany, Berlin June 30th is not sold out yet, either. There are loads of categoy 2 tickets left. Ticket price category 2: 391 euro!

Like you, Mr. Mercury, I have passed many concerts in the last years because I would not enjoy them feeling ripped off. Many tours are in the hands of international agencies now, so the local promoters have no say in the pricing anymore. Only if big artists must fear to play to half empty stadiums the situation will change.


I do not want any google ads here.

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^Thanks YV

Wow, thats about $340 NZD. I'd rather pay $11 to see Keith Richards in POTC3 quite frankly.


"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best concerts I've ever been to have been the cheapest ones.

Green Day $35
Muse $30

This is the reason why I did not want to pay over $100 to see U2 on their Vertigo Tour. Lame setlist with mellow songs are just quite simply not worth the money I'm paying.

Legendary bands who have been around for decades should learn a couple of things from the newcomers.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

The best concerts I've ever been to have been the cheapest ones.

Green Day $35
Muse $30

This is the reason why I did not want to pay over $100 to see U2 on their Vertigo Tour. Lame setlist with mellow songs are just quite simply not worth the money I'm paying.

Legendary bands who have been around for decades should learn a couple of things from the newcomers.


Muse and Green Day aren't newcomers Dan. :)

But i agree with you that artists like U2, Stones and Madonna should really reconsider the expences they make to put on a good show. Muse put on a great show with ditto lights and pyrotechnics and sell tickets for less than 40 Dollar/Euro...and they're not losing any money in the process.


Killed by drones.
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you ask the artists, they say that prices are going up because they are required to have such a show. They can't just play anymore, they argue...since the invention of music videos and things the audience demands a visual show, with fireworks and complex sets and all kinds of art stuff that is expensive.
OK...maybe I buy that argument, but what they don't realize is what we have all said here...there is a limit to what we are willing to pay to see a show. Entertainment is good, but you can, and it appears that some do, price themselves right out of the market. Why bother paying upwards of $100 per ticket for nosebleed seats when you can buy a CD for less than $20?
Personally, I'd rather they go back to the days when they just sat and played, and did a little more interaction with the audience....a much cooler experience than trying to make a music video come to life on stage, IMHO.



Formerly MHG
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

If you ask the artists, they say that prices are going up because they are required to have such a show. They can't just play anymore, they argue...since the invention of music videos and things the audience demands a visual show, with fireworks and complex sets and all kinds of art stuff that is expensive.
OK...maybe I buy that argument, but what they don't realize is what we have all said here...there is a limit to what we are willing to pay to see a show. Entertainment is good, but you can, and it appears that some do, price themselves right out of the market. Why bother paying upwards of $100 per ticket for nosebleed seats when you can buy a CD for less than $20?
Personally, I'd rather they go back to the days when they just sat and played, and did a little more interaction with the audience....a much cooler experience than trying to make a music video come to life on stage, IMHO.


In those days bands made a living by selling CD's. The shows were to support the CD sales. With everybody downloading CD's for free, they need to get some money from shows. At least, for "new" bands, I can see where the high prices are coming from. The Stones (and other huge names) on the other hand don't need to make that much money any more I would say. They just follow the trend of increasing prices and see how much money you can grab (I'd do the same though).

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the 1970s, when touring really started, the bands actually supported their records by touring. Today they want to be paid big money for playing to their audience. It does not mean that they do not make money from selling records and getting royalties from airplay etc. It has turned into a matter of reputation: who gets the most money from a tour seems to be the biggest star. As a result the audience changes: while in the 1970s, 80s and 90s mostly young people went to Rock concerts today the best tickets are not even for public sale. The "business" really has changed from a culture of the youth to big corporate money. We see a similar development in football with all the expensive VIP packages. However - should the masses be fed up some day, the whole hype will collapse. Why should young people pay so much for greedy old millionaires when there are still small festivals with genuine music and fair prices...


I do not want any google ads here.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

If you ask the artists, they say that prices are going up because they are required to have such a show. They can't just play anymore, they argue...since the invention of music videos and things the audience demands a visual show, with fireworks and complex sets and all kinds of art stuff that is expensive.
OK...maybe I buy that argument, but what they don't realize is what we have all said here...there is a limit to what we are willing to pay to see a show. Entertainment is good, but you can, and it appears that some do, price themselves right out of the market. Why bother paying upwards of $100 per ticket for nosebleed seats when you can buy a CD for less than $20?
Personally, I'd rather they go back to the days when they just sat and played, and did a little more interaction with the audience....a much cooler experience than trying to make a music video come to life on stage, IMHO.


In those days bands made a living by selling CD's. The shows were to support the CD sales. With everybody downloading CD's for free, they need to get some money from shows. At least, for "new" bands, I can see where the high prices are coming from. The Stones (and other huge names) on the other hand don't need to make that much money any more I would say. They just follow the trend of increasing prices and see how much money you can grab (I'd do the same though).


You bring up a good point, but I think the free downloading thing is hurting the record companies more than the artists...But that's another issue.
Bottom line is that they need to give the audiences a different experience than just a re-hash of their latest and greatest CD's. They decided to go about it the expensive way, with flashy lights, sets, and all kinds of other bells and whistles. That's fine...but eventually they will price themselves out of interest.
A cheaper way they could do it, that would provoke more people to buy their CD's, I think, is to make the shows smaller, but more intimate. More audience interaction, different songs, acoustic versions even if you have to. People will willingly pay for the experience if they feel the experience is worthwhile, instead of artists lip synching to their latest CD and hiding behind fireworks and movie screens. Been there, done that...and it's not worth the price.


Formerly MHG
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

In the 1970s, when touring really started, the bands actually supported their records by touring. Today they want to be paid big money for playing to their audience. It does not mean that they do not make money from selling records and getting royalties from airplay etc. It has turned into a matter of reputation: who gets the most money from a tour seems to be the biggest star. As a result the audience changes: while in the 1970s, 80s and 90s mostly young people went to Rock concerts today the best tickets are not even for public sale. The "business" really has changed from a culture of the youth to big corporate money. We see a similar development in football with all the expensive VIP packages. However - should the masses be fed up some day, the whole hype will collapse. Why should young people pay so much for greedy old millionaires when there are still small festivals with genuine music and fair prices...


Excellent response, Barb! That is why I admire artists who have "made it" by popular music standards, but still refuse to play the bigger venues. There are a few who will still play the little, local festivals and events. Granted, the big ones won't "lower themselves" like this...but the bands who do this earn a lot more respect, because you know with them that it's all about the music, not the money.


Formerly MHG
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:


Muse and Green Day aren't newcomers Dan. :)


LOL! I know, but compared to the Stones, the Police, U2, and Genesis they sort of are.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Woodie user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'm with the band.
Woodie
Bohemian: 551 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Id pay 200 euros to get to see them if i could! I have no one to go with though and my parents wont let me either ;________;


The colours that you bring are the basis of everything.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fairness, I saw the Stones 4 years ago and although the tickets were £50 I felt that the production values justified it.

Obviously they want to make a profit and they have the right to do so, but I felt that 8 movable screens, animations, inflatables, a second stage, changing backdrops and the fireworks at the end combined with the performance was WORTH IT.

I'd also dispute that they can change the orientation of the stadium at short notice - YV is usually right, but I'm suprised that the stadium is flexible enough to allow the staging to be loaded in either further or from a different entry point, and to have appropriate backstage facilities.

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... maybe they sell them like if one of them is gonna die on stage. Just think about that... Keith Richards died of a heart attack on stage...



Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While I agree with Barb I am guilty of paying the high prices so I can't say much. The strongest point Barb makes is how the best seats are not even available to the "common folk" anymore until maybe the day before the show and that's only when the "important people" don't want the seats. Erin, Pieter, and I snatched front and center seats at the Queen+PR concert in Jacksonville bc we watched them and no one ever showed up to claim them so we moved over and took them!!! Were those on sale? Bet not but I sure as hell paid $200 US dollars each for my Queen+PR tickets that night.

Queen+PR is not the only concert I'm guilty of paying "the man" for an over priced seat but I'm a spoiled brat and if I want something I get it although I do wish that what I wanted were cheaper. Who wouldn't.

I do hope this trend ends though. I also hope that there is ice water in hell and that the price of gas drops.

:)


Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!



NJ!!!























sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 07, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i believe the more intamite (or smaller) venues are better. more chances of meeting the band 8-)


and i think when a band has too many gimmicks, theyre compensating for the shit music they have. its not always the case, but it hasnt been proven wrong that often. lights are cool, but im there for the music, to forget reality for a while nad just rock out. not pay a buttload of money for a nosebleed seat.


why pay the visit when the visit is free?



"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty unfair of you to accuse the artists of trying to squeeze us out of more money. You're forgetting the promotors and record label execs who are wanting to make as much money as possible.

According to Barb, touring started in the 70s, but it was really getting rolling in the late 50s. The artists weren't making piddly poo of the tour, except in record sales. It's a well known fact that James Brown made more money dealing dope in the 50s then the actually shows he performed on his southern tours.

While the more established artists of today can get a much bigger piece of the pie, be mad at Bill Graham Presents before you jump down the band's throat.

And to think the musicians are making a lot more off of album sales today than the 70s is absurd. The producer, promotor, and sometimes agent are usually all making a lot more than the artist.

By the way, Prince gave out his new CD when you attended his last tour. $75 US dollars total for show and CD. What a deal. The thong was $38, but I wanted to treat myself.

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 07, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was shocked that we all got CDs. Total bonus. Great show too.


Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!



NJ!!!