Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddies Voice Cracks

forum rss feed
Author

inmydefence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 07, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the UTMOST respect for the late legend Freddie, but to say "Noone have as much power as freddie live or in studio, NOONE
Bono, robert plant or whoever you like , you name them , they are all averge singers compared.
Freddie is on the top of the mountain
They are in the gutter somewhere"
(this little gem is courtesy of one of the treasure moment guys)
....Is just plain untrue! i mean, he was awesome in the studio... but live... often average! often he shouted or growled so much his voice cracked in a highly comical fashion! check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQX-U7tAepY

at 3:28 "overgrown Schoolboy!" i cracked up laughin when i heard this... i like it when the legends falter... its makes em seem more human!

if anyone else knows of any youtube vocal crack moments... please share... remember, im not doin this to put freddie down...i just find it quite amusing!

brian-harold-may 26643 user not visiting Queenzone.com
brian-harold-may 26643
Bohemian: 349 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 07, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont know if t is on youtube, butthe milton keens concert has a very bad note on fat bottomed girls. not on the dvd though, on the vhs or tv version.

this is not to say freddie wasnt great, thisis just to proove to some * coughcough atheist coughcough* that he is human and not perfect.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's rock and roll, nobody is supposed to be perfect. In fact, Freddie Mercury was not perfect. Hell, I could think of other vocalists who are just as amazing if not more amazing than the late great Freddie Mercury. Perhaps the following might qualify?

Billy Joel
Elton John
George Michael
Steve Perry
Paul Rodgers
Dennis DeYoung

Of course it's all a matter of personal preference, but for anybody to say Freddie Mercury is the greatest vocalist and everybody compared to him are "crap" is just obnoxiously wrong. That's not to say Freddie Mercury isn't a great singer either, he just wasn't "perfect." Nobody is perfect, remember that and we won't have to waste our time talking about Freddie's voice cracking.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HITLER!

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to "freddie"
the whole point of this thread was for fun! not to say freddie was bad because his voice cracked! did you even READ the opening post? it would appear not.... you said "Nobody is perfect, remember that and we won't have to waste our time talking about Freddie's voice cracking." which is exactly the point i made... subtley directed to the treasure moment guys! Ive been singing for five years, and in my current job i often have to sing queen material for three hours at a time. Its a very tall order for anyone to remain "Perfect" for that duration of time singing that material. from your list (i sincerely hope that was for atheists benefit) Steve Perry is the stand out vocalist for me. studio and live... he's normally flawless! i've hundreds of bootlegs from journey and have seldom heard a bad performance!
One Question: Because talking about freddies sometimes comical vocal fatigue may not interest you, doesn't mean its not of interest to other people, so its just a waste of time in YOUR opinion. all aspects of Freddies performance interest me... good or bad.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmydefence wrote:

I have the UTMOST respect for the late legend Freddie, but to say "Noone have as much power as freddie live or in studio, NOONE
Bono, robert plant or whoever you like , you name them , they are all averge singers compared.
....Is just plain untrue! i mean, he was awesome in the studio... but live... often average! often he shouted or growled so much his voice cracked in a highly comical fashion!

Just to point this out: Bono is a thoroughly mediocre singer. Plant is considerably better than him (and, on his good days, better than Freddie by a long run).

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i know what you mean. plants falsetto was MUCH better which suited the kind of songs they were doin. Freddies attempt at immigrant song was hilariously funny! compared to how it should sound! just didnt suit freddies voice. Roger however could make that sound great i think! Bono's...well Bono.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xo7nx47hvY

This version of Bohemian Rhapsody in Japan is another example of an off-night vocally for Freddie. I must admit, I rather like the clip even with the two or three voice cracks, as the OP said,it happens to everyone at some point. I think towards the end he messes up the piano a little too and actually laughs at himself.

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love those moments! there's a great moment at live aid when phil collins hits the wrong key during against all odds and laughs at himself... no sweet phil... only the largest live audience you'll ever play to! and he walks on the stage with a towel over his shoulder like he's just left the bathroom havin brushed his teeth... cool... down to earth... human!
and a great musician.

Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmydefence wrote:

to "freddie"
the whole point of this thread was for fun! not to say freddie was bad because his voice cracked! did you even READ the opening post? it would appear not.... you said "Nobody is perfect, remember that and we won't have to waste our time talking about Freddie's voice cracking." which is exactly the point i made... subtley directed to the treasure moment guys! Ive been singing for five years, and in my current job i often have to sing queen material for three hours at a time. Its a very tall order for anyone to remain "Perfect" for that duration of time singing that material. from your list (i sincerely hope that was for atheists benefit) Steve Perry is the stand out vocalist for me. studio and live... he's normally flawless! i've hundreds of bootlegs from journey and have seldom heard a bad performance!
One Question: Because talking about freddies sometimes comical vocal fatigue may not interest you, doesn't mean its not of interest to other people, so its just a waste of time in YOUR opinion. all aspects of Freddies performance interest me... good or bad.

I was agreeing with you and leaving my thoughts for all to read. There was no need to take a shit on me.

Oh, in regards to your question (which had no question mark by the way) the answer would have to be good. I don't give a damn if you want to talk about it, I never said I did. I was just giving out my opinion.

BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on.

wembley first nightn 11june on the dvd.

when you listen to a kind of magix.

you hear a lot of vocal cracks

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Oh, in regards to your question (which had no question mark by the way) the answer would have to be good. Yes, in my opinion discussing Freddie's off nights and all of his flaws are pointless because nobody is perfect because every major artist has screwed up at least once whether or not you're willing to admit it."

Fine, thats you opinion. the question didnt have question marks because it wasnt actually a question in the end... forgot to delete "one question" part. I must proof read next time! Nobodies perfect eh.

"However, I really don't mind it if you all want to talk amongst yourselves about it. Afterall, it wouldn't be the first time. Who am I to tell you that you can't?"

yes.. who are you to tell us what is a waste of time? exactly my thoughts after your first post hence my reply. i dont think i actually shit on you though... even in a virtual sense! and i dont see why i should have to defend my chosen of subject because you dont like it. You strike me as quite a grumpy person?

Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmydefence wrote:

"Oh, in regards to your question (which had no question mark by the way) the answer would have to be good. Yes, in my opinion discussing Freddie's off nights and all of his flaws are pointless because nobody is perfect because every major artist has screwed up at least once whether or not you're willing to admit it."

Fine, thats you opinion. the question didnt have question marks because it wasnt actually a question in the end... forgot to delete "one question" part. I must proof read next time! Nobodies perfect eh.

"However, I really don't mind it if you all want to talk amongst yourselves about it. Afterall, it wouldn't be the first time. Who am I to tell you that you can't?"

yes.. who are you to tell us what is a waste of time? exactly my thoughts after your first post hence my reply. i dont think i actually shit on you though... even in a virtual sense! and i dont see why i should have to defend my chosen of subject because you dont like it. You strike me as quite a grumpy person?

Nope, not at all. You're just a little slow.

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Slow. right. i was trying to be polite, because i personally dont like to judge people that i've only had a brief message board conversation with. yet you seem so happy to judge me and call me slow. that tells me a lot about you. I've nothing more to say to you! Bye

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is we will rock you and WATC from Japan 79
you can hear by the way freddie sings WWRY that his voice is alomst buggered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdj-KCdxpU

there are some funny cracks in WATC... and roger carrys all the high stuff.
bless 'im!

J R Deaky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most decent singers have off nights.Just ask Roger Daltrey.He has more than most these days.
Freddie was the most consummate performer that i have had the pleasure of seeing live on stage.I saw him 9 times on stage with the boys.If he were still alive i'd go and see him tomorrow if he were gigging.I dont think i'd be alone in that one.

Im happy at home

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If he were still alive i'd go and see him tomorrow if he were gigging.I dont think i'd be alone in that one."
i'll second that!!

Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmydefence wrote:

Slow. right. i was trying to be polite, because i personally dont like to judge people that i've only had a brief message board conversation with. yet you seem so happy to judge me and call me slow. that tells me a lot about you. I've nothing more to say to you! Bye

I didn't judge you very quickly, my first post on this thread was in no way against you. You're the one to judge me so irrationally. Your misinterpretations ruined what could have been a rational discussion between you and I, and for that I'm willing to put aside.

I was never against you. I was merely honest and opinionated.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmydefence wrote:

....Is just plain untrue! i mean, he was awesome in the studio... but live... often average! often he shouted or growled so much his voice cracked in a highly comical fashion! check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQX-U7tAepY

at 3:28 "overgrown Schoolboy!" i cracked up laughin when i heard this... i like it when the legends falter... its makes em seem more human!

if anyone else knows of any youtube vocal crack moments... please share... remember, im not doin this to put freddie down...i just find it quite amusing!

First of all you're a retarded freak who dont know shit about singing or anything about music in general if you think Freddie had an average voice live. You're just some retard who get caught up in the tone of a voice (i.e. preference over the studio) and your small lil' pea brain is incapable of comprehending or appreciating the actual musical notes a voice is capable of hitting. Retards like you disgust me.

Posted: 15 Jun 07, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hahaha! what a hilarious response! My god... i believe I've just Discovered a stepford fan!