Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Program to check if FLAC files are Lossless or Lossy

forum rss feed
Author

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jun 07, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found this while browsing through Google and thought that this might be of some use for checking whether FLAC files that are shared here are truly lossless. Sorry I didn't know where else to post this.

Brief description about the software:
The software checks the origin of APE, FLAC, SHN, WAV and LPAC files. The software can decide in most cases, whether the encoding is lossless or not (transcoded from other lossy, for example MP3 audio source). If not, the 'lossless' file is fake. The software uses an outside method called auCDtect, developed by True-Audio Software. The percents given by Audiochecker are the result of the analysis of their software.

This software is FREEWARE.

http://www.dester.hu/English/main_e.html

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 07, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the tip, it's definitely time to check how much from my lossless collection actually IS lossless :)

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 07, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah it works pretty good, it's not really fast but it is certainly accurate so far. :-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 07, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This should be a sticky, or at least, included in a sticky thread about lossless vs. lossy.

Fantastic. Good job, Jay.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
ern2150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 303 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As much as I love QueenHub, it would be great if this was a mandatory filter before files would appear in the search results, with a sortable flag like "Audio Quality doesn't match bitrate."

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think dimeadozen.org has already instated something like that. It's a very good idea!

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus