Forums > Personal > Journalist rips up Paris Hilton report

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC refused to acknowledge Paris Hilton freed from jail as being "news". She initially tried to burn it while on the air, but when her co-anchor took her lighter away, she crumpled the paper into a ball. Later she put another paper with the Paris story through a shredder. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdNcCcweL0

Will this jeopardize her career? Will other journalists follow her lead with other future "news"? Or will she fly over the heads of most?

Discuss.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The world needs more fucking newsreaders like this, it's just a damn shame people with half a brain are a minority.

It's the same over here at the moment, some loser called James Packer got married in France and his multi-million dollar wedding has been on all the news programs, all the 'current affairs' programs.... it's fucking insane. When the hell is the world going to get over this celebrity nonsense? There isn't a person I know who *gives a shit* about Paris "I can't keep my legs shut" Hilton.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I congratulate her, that was terrific! Paris Hilton hardly constitues as news, people go in and out of jail for driving offenses every day. Big whoop.
And if they fire the newsreader for doing that then I'm sure it will be met with some stong resistance, she was just voicing her (and most of the world's) opinion. We're all Paris-ed out right now.

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's one newsreader I'll have to remember if I ever start my own tv-channel.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These "celebrity" news are designed to distract people from the issues which are really important and affect our lives. As long as such boulevard news have a mass audience, nothing will change. We should support serious news papers and news channels or they won't survive at all. Simply not watching such crap is easy and a good start.

I do not want any google ads here.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, get this... Yesterday, my brother was talking about this same issue!

Basically, there's been a lot of flood areas in the UK and the news was reporting on this bank going to burst and there have been lives lost, etc. Then, suddenly, the guy who was all ready to report on this disaster is passed over while they cut over to the live pictures of Paris Hilton getting released from jail!

So, sometimes, when you're watching something legit, you can't get away from IT.

Adam.

EDIT: And what was with the other two guys?? Bloody annoying.

@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There will ALWAYS be a demand for celebrity news (although i don't understand why), and there are too many jobs out there dependant on the lives of celebrities, whether it be in journalism or photography etc. It's a system that will not go away, there's too much money involved.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is only one solution then. We must KILL all celebrities! And take over the world! A celebrity free world! All under MY COMMAND *muhahahaha*

But seriously, I know there's no getting around them, so why not use every opportunity we get to poke fun at them?

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The popular gossip magazine US Weekly has actually refused for once and for all to stop covering Paris Hilton stories and showing her pictures.

It seems like for once the media is finally starting to realize that Paris Hilton gets too much media exposure and for no reason.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

The popular gossip magazine US Weekly has actually refused for once and for all to stop covering Paris Hilton stories and showing her pictures.

It seems like for once the media is finally starting to realize that Paris Hilton gets too much media exposure and for no reason.

Oh COME on. We all now that she is an amazing singer, wonderful actress and all round talented person!!

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw that on the news, and I have to say I was thrilled for it. As far as what was with the other co-anchors...they were obviously scared to death of their editor, who was telling them that they had to do the story. She even mentions it herself at one point...saying that her editor was telling her that she had to do the story. You'd be surprised how little control the on-air people have over the stories they cover. They are just talking heads really, reading off a teleprompter. It's the editors and station managers who decide what is news and what gets told.
Joxer was telling me over e-mail that he was watching FOX yesterday, and they were covering Paris getting out of jail, and the reporter started comparing her to Ghandi and MLK. Joxer said he had to turn off the TV at that point, and I completely agree.
I wish that more journalists would follow this woman's courage, but sadly many won't. She herself will probably get demoted or fired because of her actions, which is completely sick.

Formerly MHG
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was a comedy bit (pre-planned) on the morning show (which used to be the time slot for Imus). They try to do a bit of comedy along with the news. Believe me, she was not in danger of being fired.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

I saw that on the news, and I have to say I was thrilled for it. As far as what was with the other co-anchors...they were obviously scared to death of their editor, who was telling them that they had to do the story. She even mentions it herself at one point...saying that her editor was telling her that she had to do the story. You'd be surprised how little control the on-air people have over the stories they cover. They are just talking heads really, reading off a teleprompter. It's the editors and station managers who decide what is news and what gets told.
Joxer was telling me over e-mail that he was watching FOX yesterday, and they were covering Paris getting out of jail, and the reporter started comparing her to Ghandi and MLK. Joxer said he had to turn off the TV at that point, and I completely agree.
I wish that more journalists would follow this woman's courage, but sadly many won't. She herself will probably get demoted or fired because of her actions, which is completely sick.

it was the "gandhi with cupcakes" statement that made me reach for the remote control..
here in the UK weve had some bad floods up north and GMTV were covering this story until the news broke that paris was being released and they left a major news story and went via sattelite for pix of the orange bimbo leaving jail.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, at least one good thing came of this all: all of the UK is now after Rupert Murdoch's blood, it seems. Hey, anyone opposing FOX news is on my side, so I'm not complaining :P

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yay for that reporter! If only more would follow her lead! If she gets in trouble for taking a stand, that would be a damn shame.

Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

Joxer was telling me over e-mail that he was watching FOX yesterday, and they were covering Paris getting out of jail, and the reporter started comparing her to Ghandi and MLK.

It's embarrassing that FOX News is shown in other countries. It's no wonder the world has negative views of Americans.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GMTV. That was the one.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Yay for that reporter! If only more would follow her lead! If she gets in trouble for taking a stand, that would be a damn shame.

It was just a comedy bit. They try to do comedy on that show. It was all set up to go that way. Notice how the guy had the lighter all ready to go. And the shredder happened to be also on camera. Notice how they are grinning and how Joe takes the wadded up paper and sniffs it.

Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

Gosh, now I'm really worried if you people cannot tell a real news report from a bit of attempted humor on a morning show.

I guess I'm just a dumbass...:-B
(oops..I see that quote was edited)

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

HistoryGirl wrote:

Joxer was telling me over e-mail that he was watching FOX yesterday, and they were covering Paris getting out of jail, and the reporter started comparing her to Ghandi and MLK.

It's embarrassing that FOX News is shown in other countries. It's no wonder the world has negative views of Americans.

It's an Australian scheme to ruin your reputation, I'm telling you!