Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > People on the same league as Freddie on piano

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone.

My piano abilities are very poor so it's more difficult for me to compare but I've always wondered: is there anybody in the rock/pop business whose piano skills are more or less the same as Freddie?

I'm asking because most of them are either notably inferior (e.g. Axl Rose, Paul McCartney) or much much much better (e.g. Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm... interesting topic if you really get into it. But first we need to seperate the organ and synth players right off the list.

I would say the top piano players would include the likes of:
Professor Longhair
Bruce Hornsby
Greg Philliganes
Herbie Hancock
Rick Wakeman
These are the type of guys that can have two seperate trains of thought going at once... prestidigitation.
----------

Next, I would have the great songwriter/players, they can't do the runs and arpeggios as well (without hitting a button), but they're damn fine players:
Elton John
Jonathan Cain
Donald Fagan
--------

Then there's your guys that can play, but it's their secondary skill:
Freddie
Alan Parsons
Danny Elfman
Peter Gabriel
--------

And the guys that can play, secondary skill, and really have to watch their hands and look nervous:
Brian May
Paul Rodgers
Eddie Van Halen
--------

Finally, there's the ones that should have their piano's taken away from them:
The guy from Maroon 5
The guy from Lincoln Park
84.7% of all current R&B players and rappers
Axl Rose

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tony Banks(Genesis), Nicky Hopkins(Session player all over alot of classic rock), Tony Kaye(Yes)listen to The Yes Album, Jon Lord?(Deep Purple) ground breaking Hammond player, John Paul Jone(Led Zep) never gets credit for his keys work.
YMMV

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Freddie could play the piano as well as Tony Banks. Just listen to Firth of Fifth or Mad Man Moon - no way Freddie could play that I think.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

Tony Kaye(Yes)listen to The Yes Album

I was keeping it to non-organ players, because get Tony away from the Hammond and he sucks. 90125, Big Generator, Talk... remember?

Tony Banks and Jon Lord, though, ah yes! But if you mention them, you have to mention the man... Jimmy Smith.

freddieparis user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freddie could had been a good keyboardist in many famous band, but don't forget his main skill is vocals...
However it's quite evident that keyboardist like Rick wakeman, Eddie jobson or Geoff downes have a higuer technical levels, it's their full time job..!

Mike Moran should play on next queen album!!
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton is/was a better Piano player then Freddie.
Billy Joel of course
There is not so many bands that really focus with Pianos, keyboards maybe, but keyboards you can always add so much to those sounds.
Hard to compare some bands, like maybe Toto or Jounrey, when they pretty much have piano/keyboards on all songs, towards the later stage Freddie was really not playing the Piano as much live.

MY GOD spell it write.
gmhmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are a lot of musicians that are or were better pianists than Freddie...

Freddie was a skillful pianist, he was really good indeed... but there are/were many out there better than him...

You should listen to keyboard players such as Wakeman, Emerson, etc...

I play the piano, and IN MY OPINION, when talking about Rock/Pop, Elton John is one of the best piano players in popular music... as well as Billy Joel (with a more classical style)

And there are many more, that are quite or a little bit more unknown...

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nigel Tufnel's "Lick My Lovepump" is a beautiful delicate peice.

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

teleman wrote:

Tony Kaye(Yes)listen to The Yes Album

I was keeping it to non-organ players, because get Tony away from the Hammond and he sucks. 90125, Big Generator, Talk... remember?

Tony Banks and Jon Lord, though, ah yes! But if you mention them, you have to mention the man... Jimmy Smith.

I've been on a B3 kick. Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Joey Defrancesco etc.

Pim,
I'm inclined to think Freddie could have played Firth of Fifth and Mad Man Moon among others on piano. Freddie was capable but didn't always apply himself strictly to piano(I wonder if Freddie had ADD)

Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ray Manzarek from the doors is a great player...even if the organs are a bit different that stuff is amazing...cmon baby light my fire!

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any of these answers about better and worse piano players are written by people who knows MUSIC or piano? just wandering.

P.

Queen rocks!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see mention of Elton John and Billy Joel... I reckon they're both probably better at piano than Freddie was, but Billy Joel is a bit more versatile in that he can sort of go out of his own style, a bit? Elton John, doesn't matter what he's playing... sounds like Elton John.
Of course, that's not a negative... just an observation.

I think it's prudent to mention Pete Townshend. People quite often overlook his piano/keyboard work, there's a couple of neat bits in there.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The piano bits from Supertramp sound a bit like Freddie's. Not too complicated technically, but with a lot of feeling for rhythm and melody.

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fredde's pianoplaying often reminds me of some classical piano tunes, because of tremolo or arpeggio he often used in his tunes and some melody parts. But moreover what impresses me especially is the way he played piano. Well, one of the best examples for that is Love Of My Life, especially, its interlude part: his pianoplaying of that part expresses his rising and settling emotion so well by using crescendo and decrescendo naturally and effectively.
I'm sure he was well trained classically. I remember classical piano teachers always said that you have to feel music and to play piano with feeling. And I often used to think how I should play. Without any feeling your playing will be monotonous and no good, however swiftly your fingers may move on the keys. The same thing is true for other arts, i.e. any composition made by only one's technique without feeling can hardly touch people's heartstrings really. And I think he was taught so in his young days while he was learning piano. I also think he understood that so well and he liked that so much as well. His instinct for the music talent might tell him to do so. So, surely his fingers naturally moved to express his feelings as he was taught by his music teachers.

At that point, his pianoplaying is superb like his vocal, even though there are many technically better players.
I think there are other versatile pianoplayers who might play as if they remind me of Freddie. But it would be more natural for Freddie to play piano "dolce" or "expressivo" or "cantabile" than some of them would do so.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
mercury20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie didn't consider himself to be a great piano/keyboard player,which is why Mike Moran was used for his Barcelona album.He wrote a lot of his songs on it but although his skills were good he knew he was not in the top league.Same with the guitar,he could strum a bit,but he obviously had the curly one to do that! On the other hand,as a frontman,for quality of voice and songwriting ability,there was NOBODY to touch him.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To those people who can play the piano: I remember on the director's commentary on the We Will Rock You DVD when Saul Swimmer said that when the band watched some of the show in the editing room, they all laughed at the way Freddie let his wrists drop down at the keyboard. Is this a common bad habit for pianists?

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@saltnvinegar:

Yes, it is, definitely. When I started to have piano lessons, my teacher told me not to do that. And it's obvious: If you play with your wrists in an angle like Freddie does, it's very straining to play fluently and fast. It soon starts to hurt. With straightened wrists you can play fast parts much better. Freddie must have had a lot of practice to get things done like the DOTL intro.

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

erm what about mike moran? he's alright aint he?

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

I've been on a B3 kick. Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Joey Defrancesco etc.

Check this out, you can find it at a lot of used bookstores, but is well worth the price for everything you ever wanted to know historically or internally.
http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ-Keyboard-Musicians-Library/dp/0879307056/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5831960-4940736?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131953&sr=8-1

masterstroke_84 wrote:

Any of these answers about better and worse piano players are written by people who knows MUSIC or piano? just wandering.

A lot more than you have to offer. Your profile says you're 22. I've played piano for ten years more than that, junior.