Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How loud was Queen?

forum rss feed
Author

Fastidious and Precise user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 07, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just a curious question. How loud was Queen live in comparison to other live bands. How did they rate in the "Deafen you" category or did they just play at a similar decibel level to most other bands?

Cheers

"Guaranteed to blow your mind"
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does it matter?

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it's a good question actually.

You have to consider that anything louder than 85 decibels is harmful to the ears, so it would be interesting to find out just how dangerous Queen were when live.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
J R Deaky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fastidious and Precise wrote:

Just a curious question. How loud was Queen live in comparison to other live bands. How did they rate in the "Deafen you" category or did they just play at a similar decibel level to most other bands?

Cheers

Pretty loud.100 decibels i think.But not as loud Deep Purple or The Who.Both of whom i've saw.They were 120 decs and made your ears sizzle for a week.

Im happy at home
lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I couldn't imagine anybody being louder than AC/DC live.......

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Off the top of my head I would guess that Pantera or Metallica were/are louder than AC/DC. In fact, I recall hearing from somewhere that Pantera was as loud as it gets.

May I recommend that everybody plug up their ears before attending a rock concert, because even Queen could harm your ears. We're talking 'permanent' damage.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although The Who are recognized in the Guinness Book Of World Records as being the loudest live band, I know someone who went to a Motorhead concert and said their ears were literally bleeding after the first song.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was lucky to see Queen several times and I think the loudest was in 84, I think, at the Wembley arena. I was close to the stage and the opening chord to tear it up made my teeth rattle. My ears hummed for hours after the show. By comparison, the Queen and PR show in NJ and Jacksonville were like " turn it up". But the sound quality was very good.
I am sure the venue has a lot to do with this.
Perth in 1975 was loud. Hyde park was not so loud. Can't think of another band I have seen played that much louder.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The loudest show I've ever been was Guns and Roses about three weeks ago. Maybe it has to do to the fact that we had a huge speaker in front of us.

I think it's mostly relative. I saw Metallica with Pantera in an open air venue and it was loud, even though I was far from the stage. The Queen and Paul Rodgers shows I went to were damn loud for an arena (Brian's torture was painful) but GnR were twice as loud!

Wiley

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHAT?!

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well my dad said that he went to a pink floyd concert and after that he said his ears throbbed for about a week. i went to the queen+pr and that didnt happen to me. i thought the sound was perfect.

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Miss Multiples aka colfarrell1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Miss Multiples aka colfarrell1
Bohemian: 411 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

I was lucky to see Queen several times and I think the loudest was in 84, I think, at the Wembley arena. I was close to the stage and the opening chord to tear it up made my teeth rattle. My ears hummed for hours after the show. By comparison, the Queen and PR show in NJ and Jacksonville were like " turn it up". But the sound quality was very good.
I am sure the venue has a lot to do with this.
Perth in 1975 was loud. Hyde park was not so loud. Can't think of another band I have seen played that much louder.

joxer was at the same concert..Wembley 84

I love you,Beata!
~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, this is a VERY interesting topic. It's something I've never really thought about...but still, it's wonderful for me -- who has never been to a Queen concert -- to contemplate this. Coops, the teeth-rattling '84 concert sounds amazing. Damn I wish I could've experienced that. Still, thanks for this nice anectode. Seeing Queen on DVD is obviously totally different to having them rattle your teeth!!!

I was at the 46664 concerts...I guess the second one would be Queen+PR. The first one was just Brian+Roger. I was near the front and they were both "chest-thumpingly" loud (i.e. the bass reverberated through your chest). And a bit painful to the ears. But not worse than that.

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I saw them in 1980, 2005 and 2006 the sound was just right for me. I think by 1980 there was a law passed (because of The Who) about limits on how loud rock concerts could be.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's none louder than Spinal Tap.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Hooligan's Holiday user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hooligan's Holiday
Royalty: 1002 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, when I saw them last year, as Q+PR, they actually weren't that loud, in comparison to other bands I've seen, like Rush (who are pretty damn loud - I should know, I saw them two days ago.)

We are, we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

We are, we are the saints

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Although The Who are recognized in the Guinness Book Of World Records as being the loudest live band, I know someone who went to a Motorhead concert and said their ears were literally bleeding after the first song.

Let me just tell you that yesyerday i went to a Rock Show in Portugal and the last two acts were:

Joe Satriani and Metallica. It was heaven for guitar players. Satriani was on the top of his game and was really loud, but when Metallica got on stage with extra sound...man! Unbelievable!!

But the loudest live band are (were?) Manowar. These guys used to be on the Guiness World of records. They have the best sound equipment in the world and their sound, even though it´s very loud, doesn´t hurt your years because it´s balanced. Trylly amazing what this guys have acomplished with their live sound.

Check out their Hell on Earth DVD´s or their new "The day the earth shook". Trully the best live sound!

Take care

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Y prefer quality rather than loud sound...

For that reason, Roger Waters have the best sound on earth now, and quadraphonic...

12 out of 10.

P.

Queen rocks!
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lyricalassasin_77 wrote:

Well I couldn't imagine anybody being louder than AC/DC live.......

and motorhead and sabbs in the old days - now they were fucking loud...and motorhead were outdoor gig too

also (don;t laugh) INXS at NEC brum 1987 (kick tour) was deafening...could be because they had all the high-tone stuff up really loud

go deo na h√Čireann
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 07, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Who.

I don't know about Queen.