Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why are Queen so noticeably disliked by many people?

forum rss feed
Author

vinny2256_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is something that I have let rot in the back of my mind for a long long time and I still remember asking my mum if we had any Queen albums in the house. Her reply was negative and very dismissive

"I don't want you listening to any of that."

Why is there such a subtle, malign view towards Queen by many people, especially the older generations ie 40-50 (relative to a 20 year old like me). How bad was Queen's press coverage back in the 80's and what made my mother behave in this way and later my other relatives who were told of my adoration for the band around dinner only to gesture me with a stony, embarrassed silence and a topic change immediately.

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, both my parents, mostly my mom, like queen (shes 50). she went to the queen+pr concert with me and keeps a look out for queen merchandise to buy. my dad likes pink floyd more and keeps comparing queen to them, but iv heard him talking at parties to other people about what an amazing voice freddie had. the people that i know in the 40-50 age group are happy to talk about queen (mostly freddie) and are always proud when they share facts. im actually surprised by how much they know, but then again, they grew up with them.

i have come across some middle-aged people who havent heard of queen and one or two people who scoffed at freddie bc of his lifestyle and the whole AIDS thing, but thats about it.

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because Freddie was gay. It's said, but true. To some idiots "listening to music written by a gay" means "to be gay".

Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am of the ‘older’ generation and I LOVE Queen—although I didn’t really discover them in a big way until about 7 years ago. I don’t understand your mother’s attitude toward them and don’t know why she would feel that way. Maybe you could ask her?

Frankly, it always amazes me (but pleasantly) that Queen has so many younger fans—that’s great! But being of the, ahem, ‘older’ generation, I have trouble finding Queen fans my age, especially on this site. I would love to find a guy who really likes Queen and would understand my addiction to their music. I know they are out there, but they just don’t have the time or inclination to post or chat on sites such as these, I guess.

We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm 46 and I've loved em since I was 15!

:-)

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

vinny2256_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These are nice, positive replies! I think it may just be my family then. Although I have that annoying feeling at the back of my mind that people where I come from simply read tabloid junk and did so back then during Freddie's wild moments back in the 80's.

Such a younger generation of Queen fans are now rising which I'm very happy about. I thought I was going mad when I couldn't stop listening to Queen songs back when I first found them and everyone else I knew passed idiotic comments about them.

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

really? among my friends its hard to find people who DONT like queen! the only thing ive heard among friends is 'we will rock you is overplayed'...yeah it is! and a few of their other songs. but my friends appreciate and enjoy music from queens era, and respect them.

as for others, ive only heard a handful of people who dont like them. whatever, its their opinion.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny, my son (21) just said yesterday that he has not heard anyone say that they don't like Queen. We were talking about bands we like and dislike. He's a drummer in a band and I've been nagging him to play Queen for years but he says their singer can not sing Queen songs.

Robin

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A grown man wearing leotards calling everyone "darling" does it for some.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I'd rather listen to some gothed up goofball with falsies like Marilyn Manson or something....

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vinny2256_ wrote:

This is something that I have let rot in the back of my mind for a long long time and I still remember asking my mum if we had any Queen albums in the house. Her reply was negative and very dismissive

"I don't want you listening to any of that."

Why is there such a subtle, malign view towards Queen by many people, especially the older generations ie 40-50 (relative to a 20 year old like me). How bad was Queen's press coverage back in the 80's and what made my mother behave in this way and later my other relatives who were told of my adoration for the band around dinner only to gesture me with a stony, embarrassed silence and a topic change immediately.

your mother and all your relative suck, they are low beings for not admiring the beauty of Queen

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Treasure Moment

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good_Company50 wrote:

I am of the ‘older’ generation and I LOVE Queen—although I didn’t really discover them in a big way until about 7 years ago. I don’t understand your mother’s attitude toward them and don’t know why she would feel that way. Maybe you could ask her?

Frankly, it always amazes me (but pleasantly) that Queen has so many younger fans—that’s great! But being of the, ahem, ‘older’ generation, I have trouble finding Queen fans my age, especially on this site. I would love to find a guy who really likes Queen and would understand my addiction to their music. I know they are out there, but they just don’t have the time or inclination to post or chat on sites such as these, I guess.

you cant find a bigger Queen fan than me, i think that no band comes close to them, they are by far the best band ever on this planet.

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Vincent. user not visiting Queenzone.com
What?
Vincent.
Deity: 2553 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ *rolls eyes*

And anyways...Most of my friends (my age) say they don't like Queen because Freddie was 'a fag'. I repeatedly tell them that being gay doesn't effect what your music sounds like...But they just roll their eyes and make fun of me for listening to the 'stupid queer Queens'. Ugh. :B

And all of the older people I know...pretty much all...like Queen. Except for my parents...they say they are tired of them because I 'Queen them to death'. :P Whenever I wear Queen shirts and such I always get compliments from older people. :B

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a huge stigma with Queen becuase of Freddie's sexuality. I wonder how big they would be if he were straight.......

Treasure Moment

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DavidRFuller wrote:

There is a huge stigma with Queen becuase of Freddie's sexuality. I wonder how big they would be if he were straight.......

Doesnt really matter since they sold 300 million albums and is the best band ever on this planet, They achieved more than any band ever will.

Freddie Mercury is God

FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My parents are both Queen fans :P My dad turned my mom on to Queen and then she liked them even more than he did! So my dad jokes that it's genetic that I'm a Queenie.

I have run into older people who dislike Queen or scoff at them, though. Generally teachers who go, "You DO know Freddie Mercury was GAY and died of AIDS (with emphasis!), RIGHT?" And I'll be like "ummmm... yeah." And I remember back in freshman year, in November I made this Freddie tribute book to commerate the... it must have been the 11-year anniversary of Freddie's death, and my principal wrote something fairly nice, but then said something like, "I can't write the other thing I'm thinking." WTF? Then again, I had teachers make snarky comments about Phil Collins' lifestyle to me as well, so I get used to it. Gah.

The other kids were worse. Like this bitchy girl came up to me in freshmen year and asked if I had AIDS o_O

"Brian May, Freddie will."
Queengirl47 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 87 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Atheist wrote:

DavidRFuller wrote:

Doesnt really matter since they sold 300 million albums and is the best band ever on this planet, They achieved more than any band ever will.

I AGREE WITH YOU 110%!!!

QUEEN ARE THE BEST BAND EVER... AND WILL ALWAYS BE! ........

GuitarMay user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ainda vale a pena viver !?
GuitarMay
Bohemian: 990 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does not give importance for the others.... One of the proposts of the band was to be polemic and QUEEN are greatest legends in the rock music, in the world music,
I really love the band :) :) :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for my bad english...

Keep QUEEN alive, yeah :-)

Viva o CLUBE ATLÉTICO MINEIRO (GALO)

Campeão da Copa Libertadores 2013 da Recopa Sul-Americana 2014 & agora Campeão da Copa do Brasil 2014
QueenMercury46 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenMercury46
Royalty: 1097 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm the obsessed Queen fan in the family. I actually came to like them by myself, it wasn't because my parents listened to them or anything.

There is one guy that I can't stand who is always dissing Queen and trying to piss me off by talking shit about them. He's a huge Led Zeppelin fan and he's always saying crap like "Led Zeppelin is 1000x better than that shitty band of fags blabla," and I get so mad. He's just trying to be cool it's really obvious. I mean to say that Queen "sucks"? How can you listen to Bohemian Rhapsody for example and be like "that was terrible." He's even pathetic enough to look up youtubes of Radio Gaga at Live Aid and say comments like "Freddie Mercury is such a fag, Queen can suck it." I made an account so I can reply to his comments saying FU and all this stuff. He didn't know it was me though haha.

So anyways my point is that a lot of people are really stupid and think that if they go around and call some of the greatest bands out there lame, people will think they're cool. I don't understand it but that is how it is sometimes. Some people just think they're all that.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Treasure Moment wrote: [/QUOTENAME]The only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms.[/QUOTE]
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see the point in dissing the bands that other people like--everyone has different tastes in music. If I don't like a band I just say I don't care for their music and leave it at that. People don't have to make disparaging comments about them just because they don't like them.

But it's great to find people who really love a band as much as you do and to share their experiences and opinions about them.

We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May