Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Zoroastrianism... o_O

forum rss feed
Author

FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was at the Museum of Natural History, and there was an exhibit on Zoroastrianism. Well, apparently, in traditional Zoroastrianism, they don't believe in cremation or burying, because they feel that fire and Earth are "pure elements" that shouldn't be "contaminated" with dead flesh. So, what do they generally do? They put the person up on this pillar and have vultures eat them o_O

Anyone else real glad Freddie specifically requested cremation? I mean, I figure it makes sense, but that'd be kinda unusual.

"Brian May, Freddie will."

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, Freddie specifically says cremation in his will, so it was never really up for debate.

I don't really find it WEIRD, just unusual. It would be good for the animals, they'd get food :P But then you know all kinds of strange people would go around saying their dog ate Freddie or something... like that chick who wrote Innuendos o_O

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just found it interesting. They even had Zoroastrian wedding ceremony text, I think. It was quite neat :)

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not that unusual. It's just not from the Judeo-Christian mold that we are used to.

DJ's the man we love the most

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maz wrote:

It's not that unusual. It's just not from the Judeo-Christian mold that we are used to.

And Zoroastrianism strongly influenced Judeo-Christianity, as it was the first religion that had a battle between pure good and pure evil. Hence Nietzsche calling one of his books Thus Spoke Zarathrustra, as Zarathrustra is Zoroaster :)

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

I was at the Museum of Natural History, and there was an exhibit on Zoroastrianism. Well, apparently, in traditional Zoroastrianism, they don't believe in cremation or burying, because they feel that fire and Earth are "pure elements" that shouldn't be "contaminated" with dead flesh. So, what do they generally do? They put the person up on this pillar and have vultures eat them o_O

Anyone else real glad Freddie specifically requested cremation? I mean, I figure it makes sense, but that'd be kinda unusual.

Woah, you mentioned death again.

But usually they put them in one of those things, too bad I forget the name, sort of like where mummies are. And they leave them there.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.*.Messenger: Jake Pyndle.*. wrote:

Woah, you mentioned death again.

But usually they put them in one of those things, too bad I forget the name, sort of like where mummies are. And they leave them there.

Ooh, slick. Interesting.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 07, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maz wrote:

And Zoroastrianism strongly influenced Judeo-Christianity, as it was the first religion that had a battle between pure good and pure evil. Hence Nietzsche calling one of his books Thus Spoke Zarathrustra, as Zarathrustra is Zoroaster :)

Or you could just read up on the funeral practices of many native people of North America, including those who practiced native customs into the early-20th century.

DJ's the man we love the most
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18616 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 07, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And Zoroastrianism strongly influenced Judeo-Christianity

Absolutely correct. That's where Christianity got the idea of the star from. The story says the wisemen were from "the east", and they worshipped light. It's just a tale, paying its homage to Zoroastrianism... not actual history.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 07, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not really paying homage, or tribute or whatever.
Cultures take stuff out of other cultures. Language, religion, food, clothings et cetera.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jul 07, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a way it is... if you take something from someone else, that means you actually like it and were influenced by it... which is essentially the definition of paying homage.. :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 07, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

personally i think cremation is the most beautiful way for remains to go... think about it, the body in life is a leash, in death, the spirit is free, and the body when burned, the ashes can go wherever they please (with a nudge from wind).

graves/sarcophagi/mausoleums can be elaborate and beautiful, but easily defaced, and time weathers it away and the body of the person is eventually forgotten. i guess that goes for every type of respect of the dead...

cannibalism in some cultures is a way of respecting the body of the dead, by having a 'part of them with them for life'...but due to disease and forceful missionaries most cultures no longer practice this.

as for vultures eating the remains, natives believed that they were simply going back to where they came from, and that is the cycle of nature.

there, some nice perspectives on death, i guess. sorry to rant about it, i just did a project on this kind of thing XD

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
The Real Wizard

Posted: 05 Jul 07, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice post, Sparrow. Not to mention, being cremated is much cheaper than a burial... and it doesn't waste land. Graveyards and golf courses are using up waaaaay too much land!