Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Exactly What Queen Live Footage DOES Exist... Revisited

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jul 07, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the huge delay. Other than when I was working on the Freddie Boxed set in 1999, and the Rarities Boxed set before that (which never emerged, I know), I really don't think I have EVER been so busy as I have this past few months. It's been totally manic here... not least because in between all the usual Queen work and archiving, looking after tapes, protecting them, transfers, safety work, security, etc, I've been working seriously hard on logging Brian's Queen collection, photographing it, and learning in great detail exactly what is there. So many gaps in various puzzles have now slotted into place and various things suddenly make sense.

That stuff just eats away days and weeks and months, but unearths all kinds of data none of us knew. I love all that but I have tended to lose track of Queenzone activity.

OK, so.... I have already seen just by looking at page 16 of my original (Exactly What Queen Live Footage DOES Exist) posting, that there will be many people slagging me off again and accusing me of this and that, but that is to be expected here. I notice for the most part that people are polite and generally helpful and they've offered some great info, so it's those Queenzoners I will turn my attentions to first, in a minute.

Jim Beach has said I can indeed share certain info about our Queen Live concerts - footage, since you guys have been kind enough to share your info with us. It's only fair. We WILL do the same, as promised.

I'll be getting to that later this week, after answering as many of the questions as i can on that other related thread between now and then - starting in a minute. Please give me some time to get to it.

I will provide a list of what we have in the Queen Live archive, but I think you will all be shocked at how relatively little there is.

So... I'll go now and look at 16 pages of your comments and try to hone in on the most significant ones.

Thanks again (those of you who bothered) for all the great stuff so far.


GB
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jul 07, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any specific forthcoming release you're currently working on?

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jul 07, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the huge delay. Other than when I was working on the Freddie Boxed set in 1999, and the Rarities Boxed set before that (which never emerged, I know), I really don't think I have EVER been so busy as I have this past few months. It's been totally manic here... not least because in between all the usual Queen work and archiving, looking after tapes, protecting them, transfers, safety work, security, etc, I've been working seriously hard on logging Brian's Queen collection, photographing it, and learning in great detail exactly what is there. So many gaps in various puzzles have now slotted into place and various things suddenly make sense.

That stuff just eats away days and weeks and months, but unearths all kinds of data none of us knew. I love all that but I have tended to lose track of Queenzone activity.

OK, so.... I have already seen just by looking at page 16 of my original (Exactly What Queen Live Footage DOES Exist) posting, that there will be many people slagging me off again and accusing me of this and that, but that is to be expected here. I notice for the most part that people are polite and generally helpful and they've offered some great info, so it's those Queenzoners I will turn my attentions to first, in a minute.

Jim Beach has said I can indeed share certain info about our Queen Live concerts - footage, since you guys have been kind enough to share your info with us. It's only fair. We WILL do the same, as promised.

I'll be getting to that later this week, after answering as many of the questions as i can on that other related thread between now and then - starting in a minute. Please give me some time to get to it.

I will provide a list of what we have in the Queen Live archive, but I think you will all be shocked at how relatively little there is.

So... I'll go now and look at 16 pages of your comments and try to hone in on the most significant ones.

Thanks again (those of you who bothered) for all the great stuff so far.


Let's wait till next week then. I'm not sure how to interpretate what Jim said. That you can share CERTAIN info about your concerts. You mean the official broadcast like Budapest, Rock in Rio 1985, Hammersmith 75 and 79, Tokyo 79 and 82, Houston and Earls court 77 and the Rainbow 1974 .......or we have Auckland 1985, japan 1975, Paris 1979 (Three nights), Birmingham and more in our vaults.


You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jul 07, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was reading the old 16-page-long thread, and someone pointed out that Bob Harris was at the WATC video shoot because he was making a documentary... So I was wondering... Maybe he has some good unseen stuff? Have you already contacted him? He could be useful.

Sorry if you've already thought of this before - but in case you haven't... Well, I just wanna be useful somehow.


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jul 07, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pin Derks...

Any specific forthcoming release you're currently working on?




YES.


GB
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jul 07, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg - what are the chances of the Rainbow 74 (March & Nov) footage getting a DVD release?

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 07, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Pin Derks...

Any specific forthcoming release you're currently working on?

YES.


:D

Good one, Greg ;)


Flick of the wrist
freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 07, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can see that Queen DVDs are likely to be like the classic series Dr Who DVDs in that the BBC restoration team can't tell you what they're working on until it's finished and then when they do they get flooded with people saying "If only we knew, we could have provided such and such".
This is particularly the case with TV broadcast interviews etc - you get a ropey copy of something on the DVD because that's all the company possess and then someone pipes up with a "I've got an off air recording of that!"

That's propbably why Greg has asked us what is out there, but how many people have refused to help?



Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 07, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey There Negative Creep...

Firstly, you have the name that DARREN1977 should have.

Secondly.... Greg - what are the chances of the Rainbow 74 (March & Nov) footage getting a DVD release?


Yes I think this is likely. i think it would have to be part of something else, rather than a stand-alone dvd. i mean it/they only contain a very few titles anyone (other than us fans) would ever have heard of. It's not littered with 10 or 12 hits like wembley, milton keynes dvds... you get the idea.

i think it'll emerge for sure, yes. no idea when though.


GB
dobo user not visiting Queenzone.com
dobo
Bohemian: 899 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 07, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how much of this show exists? just wondering if any one could help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29MROM




Visit The Official Kings of Queen Myspace Which I Run: http://www.myspace.com/kingsofqueenfanpage



Trade List: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56176
Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dobo wrote:

how much of this show exists? just wondering if any one could help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29MROM


There is an audience shot film of the full show out there. (The sample om Youtube comes from that one), filmed partially from the big screens.

Imagine from the show has been officially filmed and officially released on the Return of the Champions DVD.

Sure more parts of the show - if not the entire show? - have been filmed officially. But that's something only Greg can confirm.


Roger AAAAAHHHH!
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

dobo wrote:

how much of this show exists? just wondering if any one could help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29MROM


There is an audience shot film of the full show out there. (The sample om Youtube comes from that one), filmed partially from the big screens.



Take a closer look.... This is not from the audience recording. This is pro shot. It was available as a download in the Queenonline shop.

I 'm as well curious to know what material from Queen + PR (pro shot) excists. Hyde Park, Arnhem, Budapest are all, partly, filmed. Maybe you could give us some more info on that footage Greg?

Ivan P. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Greg,

I'm a Queen fan from Argentina and I have been reading this pages for several years, but I would like you to know that after reading so many nasty comments towards you I have decided to join in and write some lines regarding what I feel about all this.

First of all, THANK YOU. I have bought your books and appreciate all your efforts on our behalf. I still consider "Queen live" and the Freedie Boxed Set as some of the best items in my collection.

I understand there are some things you are not able to talk about, and I DO TRUST you will come back with the concerts-footage list as soon as you can.

I hope you do not put all us fans into one same bag.

My only plead to you and Jim Beach would be for you to include such countries as Argentina (which has a strong Queen following) in the same league as Europe and the US regarding to product release and tour schedules. Sometimes we feel very "left out", and that's disappointing, considering the wonderful time Queen had over here in their 1981 tour and Brian later in 1993.

Hope all the hard work you're doing translates into beautiful Queen products for us.

if you ever need any info about Queen concerts or releases in Argentina, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,

Ivan




Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Jeroen wrote:

dobo wrote:

how much of this show exists? just wondering if any one could help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29MROM


There is an audience shot film of the full show out there. (The sample om Youtube comes from that one), filmed partially from the big screens.



Take a closer look.... This is not from the audience recording. This is pro shot. It was available as a download in the Queenonline shop.

I 'm as well curious to know what material from Queen + PR (pro shot) excists. Hyde Park, Arnhem, Budapest are all, partly, filmed. Maybe you could give us some more info on that footage Greg?

*Dung*
Yup, you're right of course. My mind was too quick again ;-)

Actually that was becuase I watched this at work (without sound that means ;-) just for a few seconds and did not even think *dork* this is BO RHAP - not Imagine! ;-)

Once again a lesson for me that should not post on QZ when at work. Quickies make me look stupid ;-)

-------------------------------------------------

But since we are a bit on topic:

It was mentioned back in the day that all the 'open air' shows (well, only 3 of them actually were 'open air') Lisboa, Cologne, Hyde Park and Arnhem would be filmed.

What happened to that Greg?
Did they actually film all the shows in their entirety?
Did they film parts?
I know that Arnhem was at least filmed from Say it's not True up untill Radio Gaga... But is there more?

*I'm not going to demand an official release! Just curious* ;-)

CMG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 146 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Greg, my question is:

Are there any plans for incomplete video recordings to be released altogether in some kind of compilation so we can see the high quality recorded parts of some shows?

Otherwise, if the recorded video pieces are not DVD bonus, they will never be released...

Thanks

John Deacon In Disguise user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 07, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah that would be cool. Something similar to the Led Zeppelin live DVD that came out a couple of years ago. It featured songs selected from various shows where the whole gig wasn't available.

You could do a 4 disc set featuring varios songs from Earls Court, Hammersmith, Houston, Rio, Knebworth etc + some sort of documentary charting their live career. That would be awsome - what do you reckon Greg?



Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jul 07, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:


I will provide a list of what we have in the Queen Live archive...


All right!!!!!!

You know, Greg, to some of us that's like saying "Ok, kids tomorrow we're going to Disneyland, make sure you get a good night's sleep."


Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jul 07, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like Birthday and X-Mas together :-))))

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 607 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jul 07, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live and alive in Fred's bedroom tour '83

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 07, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Queen Archivist wrote:


I will provide a list of what we have in the Queen Live archive...


All right!!!!!!

You know, Greg, to some of us that's like saying "Ok, kids tomorrow we're going to Disneyland, make sure you get a good night's sleep."


Yeah! Are we the kids?