Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > When First Synth On Stage ?

forum rss feed
Author

kombattivi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jul 07, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, i want to know when Queen used Synth On Stage ?

I See on Queenconcerts.com that Flash's theme not included in The Game Tour World but The Game Europe just, in the Europe Tour there's was a synth ?

Thanks

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jul 07, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was used from the Hot Space tour onwards.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first show where they used a synth was London 12-8-80. They tried out Flash for the first time two days before in Birmingham, with Brian playing the ostinato rhythm on the guitar. After that, they decided to have him on the synth instead.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

The first show where they used a synth was London 12-8-80. They tried out Flash for the first time two days before in Birmingham, with Brian playing the ostinato rhythm on the guitar. After that, they decided to have him on the synth instead.


Are you quite sure? I thought the '80/'81 shows were played synth-free. I seem to recall that the "5th member" was introduced in order to facilitate the use of a synth on-stage.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

The first show where they used a synth was London 12-8-80. They tried out Flash for the first time two days before in Birmingham, with Brian playing the ostinato rhythm on the guitar. After that, they decided to have him on the synth instead.


Are you quite sure? I thought the '80/'81 shows were played synth-free. I seem to recall that the "5th member" was introduced in order to facilitate the use of a synth on-stage.


Bob is right.

I think there is even video-evidence of Brian playing synths during the 1981 tour.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there any recording of Brian playing that on the guitar?


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Is there any recording of Brian playing that on the guitar?


Yep, the second night in Birmingham (12-6-60) was fortunately recorded. That's the only way I can know this stuff. :)



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 07, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Is there any recording of Brian playing that on the guitar?


Yep, the second night in Birmingham (12-6-60) was fortunately recorded. That's the only way I can know this stuff. :)


WOW 12-06-60 PLEASE SHARE IT WITH US BOBMEIßTER!!!

Madman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 206 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Worth to find this this recording, Queen in excellent shape.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3034 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jul 07, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

I've always been a bit confused by the "We Will Rock You" Montreal concert in 81; The is no trace of any 5th person playing, and tracks like 'Save Me' have no additional piano after Brian switches to guitar, yet on 'Another One Bites The Dust' there is clearly an extra synthesised snare type beat when the play the chorus with just drums and vocals just before the last verse.

Does anyone know if this is a backing track, and if so was Roger playing to a click track on that song?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jul 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good observation. It definitely is a backing track, but I don't think they played with a click. I just watched the DVD, and Roger's hair is covering his ears so you can't see any earplugs (did they even use the earplugs back then?).



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
kombattivi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jul 07, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone know why are not Flash in The DVD Montreal 81 (We Will Rock You) ?

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3034 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jul 07, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cheers for agreeing Sir GH - I think it must be a backing track, but as you rightly saym in ear monitoring wasn't invented then, so Roger must have had a really loud mix of it in his monitor speakers to keep in time.

I am bemused as to why they used a track simply on this song only and nothing on anything else - perhaps it was just as they were getting into the electonic side of things after The Game but before Hot Space, and wanted to just try this sort of thing out. It will be interesting to see how this backing track part stands out in the new surround and hi-def mixes when the concert is re-released in a couple of months.


The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jul 07, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kombattivi wrote:

Someone know why are not Flash in The DVD Montreal 81 (We Will Rock You) ?


The company who originally filmed the footage simply trashed the Flash/Hero footage, but thankfully they kept the audio, so they will be on the 2cd.

cmsdrums wrote:

It will be interesting to see how this backing track part stands out in the new surround and hi-def mixes when the concert is re-released in a couple of months.


Indeed, I'm looking forward to that too.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jul 07, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

kombattivi wrote:

Someone know why are not Flash in The DVD Montreal 81 (We Will Rock You) ?


The company who originally filmed the footage simply trashed the Flash/Hero footage, but thankfully they kept the audio, so they will be on the 2cd.


$50 Dollars says it was edited because it sounded like Donny Mars.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jul 07, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those synthesized drums aren't a backing track. They're triggered by the snare drum..
The microphone is fed into a sampling machine, which plays a sample when the drums are hit.


A lot of power drummers use this technique. It doesn't require a headphone or something..


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Those synthesized drums aren't a backing track. They're triggered by the snare drum..
The microphone is fed into a sampling machine, which plays a sample when the drums are hit.


A lot of power drummers use this technique. It doesn't require a headphone or something..


Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that... but in 1981??



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Those synthesized drums aren't a backing track. They're triggered by the snare drum..
The microphone is fed into a sampling machine, which plays a sample when the drums are hit.


A lot of power drummers use this technique. It doesn't require a headphone or something..


Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that... but in 1981??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi#History

MIDI was invented in 1983, so I don't think Roger could've used trigger pads in 1983... And in articles about trigger pads, I've never seen Roger being mentioned as an user. I wouldn't even see the point... The kind of music he play is "easy" enough and he's talented enough to play it all well. If he played something much faster, it would be necessary, but he doesn't, all his hits can be heard cleary.


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Those synthesized drums aren't a backing track. They're triggered by the snare drum..
The microphone is fed into a sampling machine, which plays a sample when the drums are hit.


A lot of power drummers use this technique. It doesn't require a headphone or something..


Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that... but in 1981??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi#History

MIDI was invented in 1983, so I don't think Roger could've used trigger pads in 1983... And in articles about trigger pads, I've never seen Roger being mentioned as an user. I wouldn't even see the point... The kind of music he play is "easy" enough and he's talented enough to play it all well. If he played something much faster, it would be necessary, but he doesn't, all his hits can be heard cleary.


MIDI wasn't the first triggering system, only the most effective one.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Those synthesized drums aren't a backing track. They're triggered by the snare drum..
The microphone is fed into a sampling machine, which plays a sample when the drums are hit.


A lot of power drummers use this technique. It doesn't require a headphone or something..


Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that... but in 1981??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi#History

MIDI was invented in 1983, so I don't think Roger could've used trigger pads in 1983... And in articles about trigger pads, I've never seen Roger being mentioned as an user. I wouldn't even see the point... The kind of music he play is "easy" enough and he's talented enough to play it all well. If he played something much faster, it would be necessary, but he doesn't, all his hits can be heard cleary.


MIDI wasn't the first triggering system, only the most effective one.


But still, I was under the impression trigger pads were pretty new... A couple of years ago I was buying magazines for drummers out of curiosity, as I was thinking of learning how to play the drums, and one of them was most about trigger pads, talking about how much prejudice drummers still face when using those, interviews with drummers who are for it and drummers who are against it...

So I thought it was a pretty new technology.

When was it first released? I tried to find info online, but I couldn't.


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!