forum rss feed
Author

Vincent. user not visiting Queenzone.com
What?
Vincent.
Deity: 2553 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Uhm...Okay. My family is sort of Religious, but not really...I mean, we go to church nearly every Sunday, but we're not exactly the most Christian family. But anyways, my best friend is getting baptised. And my parents keep talking to me about how I should be considering it.

But. I'm. Not. Sure. About. God. :B

I mean I'm really confused about religion and every time I try to talk to someone they are either like...SCREW RELIGION! Or they are like JESUS! FOLLOW JESUS OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELLL!!!! So...I'm asking for some help...What are your opinions on Christianity? :B

7 seas of Whatever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a Christian. I think you should read the bible and pay attention in church. Try to see if it is something you want to be part of. If you decide not to, that is your choice. But I think you should definetly give it a chance.

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
Vincent. user not visiting Queenzone.com
What?
Vincent.
Deity: 2553 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

7 seas of Whatever wrote:

I'm a Christian. I think you should read the bible and pay attention in church. Try to see if it is something you want to be part of. If you decide not to, that is your choice. But I think you should definetly give it a chance.

I do pay attention in church...sometimes. It's just...I can't hardly sit still that long and my mind wanders.

And I'm really...thinking about this. Really Really thinking about it. Hard. :B

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just do it. If it will satisfy your parents, why not? You can even bargain, "If I get baptized, you have to..." See? Effective bargaining chip.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Gratzi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=fire>Instant Karma! wrote:

SCREW RELIGION! Or they are like JESUS! FOLLOW JESUS OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELLL!!!! ?

Well, I believe the first thing you should do is avoid the extremes ( atheists and zealots ), and try to either get an objective point of view on this or do a little research; all in all this should be your own decision! Good luck with it, as this is a very important step! ;)

'Known for the hugeness of my gong' - Roger
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you feel comfortable going church every Sunday and having a faith towards God, then do it, no matter what anyone else says.

If you feel you aren't that close to God and you'd rather not, then you don't have to, you aren't a bad person.

Research on it.

Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden user not visiting Queenzone.com
Um...hi.
Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden
Royalty: 1009 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm half Christian, half Jewish. I'm not that religious, but we do celebrate holidays and stuff like that. I don't celebrate Christmas, even though i love Christmas cheer. I don't celebrate Hannukah,either, I just light the candles. But my whole family celebrates New Year. Well, whatever. I personally don't like to get into it much, and I have a choice of what I wanna be when I turn 16, and I've been thinking about it for years now, and I decided I'm not gonna choose. God is God, right?

I find it difficult to navigate QZ at this very moment.
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I am not religious at all. I don't think morality and religion are mutually exclusive. I'm a good person because I want to be and because it makes me feel good, not because of some fear that I might wind up in hell when I die. I'm also very anti-organized religion, since it leads to nothing but bad things. But I understand some people need religion to feel like they are balanced....that's fine. I'm not one of those people, but if you are, more power to you.
You need to do whatever you think is right in this matter. This is going to require a lot of thinking on your part. I personally got baptized at around age 10 because my parents made me, and confirmed at age 15 because "Everyone else was doing it." I don't necessarily regret either, but I haven't been to church in 3 years (even on Christmas) and I don't see myself as starting to go anytime in the future again.
If you really don't want to do this, then don't. But if you aren't sure, there is no harm in just doing it. It may sound like a cop out, but it's not really. This isn't a major, life or death decision....it's just baptism.

Formerly MHG
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was baptized as a baby, and i never really go to church. i have my own beliefs but i dont think im christian.

well, i guess it wouldnt hurt to do it, its not like that water will burn you XD unless someone poured acid in it...then umm...my bad. youd be 'safe' as a 'christian'.

ok now im just rambling, sorry.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 00:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I can tell you is this: remember that any religion is a man made institution, if you want truth, you must look in your heart, learn everything you can about god, but not religion, that way you wont be fooled by fanatics, if your way of thinking is anything like mine, youll find out God to be such a cool dude you can trust

:)
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

I personally got ... confirmed at age 15 because "Everyone else was doing it." I don't necessarily regret either, but I haven't been to church in 3 years (even on Christmas) and I don't see myself as starting to go anytime in the future again.
If you really don't want to do this, then don't. But if you aren't sure, there is no harm in just doing it. It may sound like a cop out, but it's not really. This isn't a major, life or death decision....it's just baptism.

"Getting confirmed"..."Going to church"..."baptism"? Is that what they're calling it these days? It seems I have to keep up to date with my sexual euphemisms.

When I got my "first holy communion," I was a little nervous and unsure of the logistics of it. But soon me and my girlfriend were "going to Church every Sunday," and we became rather proficient at it. Now I am confident that I can "anoint the sick" with the best of them.

What? You were being literal? Oops.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Religion tends to feed you ready-made answers, which is easier than dealing with the great questions in life (is there life after death? is there a meaning to life? is there some higher power? etc.) yourself. However, it is also a great trap: there is NOTHING worse than believing something you don't understand at all. When you do, you run the risk of becoming a fanatic, because you are in want of context: answers are only as valuable as the thoughts that led to them.

Therefore, I oppose organized religion. If you don't, that is your choice, but I urge you never to base your view of the world on what someone tells you to believe. And the Bible is no more than someone telling you to believe what other people wrote. There is definitely wisdom in the Bible, but it is often hidden under layer upon layer of folly caused by generations of theologians completely misunderstanding the texts due to their own fanaticism.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can only agree with ThomasQuinn.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Religion is a means of control. Don't fall for it.

Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freya, why were you gone so long!!!???

Meh.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Somebody actually missed me?

Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...no. But it seemed empty without your...evilness.

Meh.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm. I'll take that as a compliment.

Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should, cuz you're getting it from me.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will only belive in The Bible the day that God himself signs my Bible at Barnes & Noble.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]