Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Rock isn't the same

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It amazes me that 8 years into the 21st Century the first new material will come out that is Queen related, that it will be only half of Queen(Brian and Roger) with a veteran great on vocals(Paul) and that I would bet at 20 dollars to winning only 1 odds that it will absolutely smoke the best up to then album of the new millenium. This just as how Innuendo smoked the 90's, Made In Heaven right behind it. Nothing today can match Queen, nor come anywhere close.

Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden user not visiting Queenzone.com
Um...hi.
Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden
Royalty: 1009 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most modern music just sucks. That's final.

I find it difficult to navigate QZ at this very moment.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something tells me you need to start listening to other music that isn't Queen or what's considered popular in modern society. There's more music to be found in great indie bands like Yo La Tengo, Apostle of Hustle, Stars, The Decemberists, and so forth. There is excellent music out there - you just need to find it.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Something tells me you need to start listening to other music that isn't Queen or what's considered popular in modern society. There's more music to be found in great indie bands like Yo La Tengo, Apostle of Hustle, Stars, The Decemberists, and so forth. There is excellent music out there - you just need to find it.

There's QUEEN and NOTHING BUT QUEEN, you traitor! :-P

Um...hi.

Posted: 22 Jul 07, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Have you ever seen my music list? Yeah, I think I listen to enough. I have gone WAYYYYYYYYYY beyond Queen. And I did listen to modern music. It's all the same. It all sucks. Like you.

Matías user not visiting Queenzone.com
Matías
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should listen to LA RENGA ..

M.H user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There may be some good bands (Franz Ferdinand, Wolfmother, Nickleback, Jet etc.) but there are very few. It is all the same. There are particular songs that I like, but they cant compare with the older bands. Take Iron Maiden for instance, they'e been going for over twenty years, and they write better rock than a majority of modern stuff put together. And when Queen's album comes out, I rekon here in Western Oz, in my little dump of an area, they'll smash through the charts. The reason that so many bands of yesteryear are coming back together is because modern music fans are now looking back to the days when rock was king and not all this rap bolloks that clogs the airwaves. Yep, I rekon Queen's knew album will remind the world what they've been missing all these years. =)

M.H

A Kind of Magic
Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M.H wrote:

There may be some good bands (Franz Ferdinand, Wolfmother, Nickleback, Jet etc.) but there are very few. It is all the same. There are particular songs that I like, but they cant compare with the older bands. Take Iron Maiden for instance, they'e been going for over twenty years, and they write better rock than a majority of modern stuff put together. And when Queen's album comes out, I rekon here in Western Oz, in my little dump of an area, they'll smash through the charts. The reason that so many bands of yesteryear are coming back together is because modern music fans are now looking back to the days when rock was king and not all this rap bolloks that clogs the airwaves. Yep, I rekon Queen's knew album will remind the world what they've been missing all these years. =)

M.H

This guy has a good taste in music. I LOVE JET!!!!! The Peppers arent bad either....

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since nirvana, music has been shit

:)
Cedric6014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 02:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Oh my golly! I have actually seen Yo La Tengo! They came and played at my university like 8 years ago or something. Cant remember anything about them, just the name.

As for the topic poster, don't be dissing the nineties - that was a pretty good decade for rock music. Had a bit of a revival after the poppy danceness of the 80s.

Yes it would help if you listened to another band other than queen.

I recommend Queen's of the Stone Age - Song's for the Deaf as the definitive post 2000 rock album so far.

You might consider checking out Radiohead and Nirvana - Ive heard they're not too shabby (just quietly).

And there are tons of good indie bands that u never hear on the RNB-soaked radio. Explore.

Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jet!!! The Academy Is...!!! Green Day!!! Morningwood!!! The Peppers!!!

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And of course there's Wolfmother's copy of TYMD that's called "Mother" ;)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like AmeriQueen's threads. They always state the obvious; that is.. they offer the most obviously flawed statement available - you always know where you stand.

I can't abide the radio most days, there's shit all on... but you've got golf balls in your ears if you can say with a straight face that nothing good has been made in 8 years. Sheesh...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Raststätte-Knödel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Eppiekleppie
Raststätte-Knödel
Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To say all modern music sucks isn't quite true.

Pussycat dolls is a very good band for example :)

Kunst-Raststätte
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

It is true though, that it has become harder to come by than it used to be. Reason? Small labels are the only record companies that tend to invest in truly new talent, and they've nearly all been pushed from the market by big money-grubbing multinationals.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Um...hi.

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DonnyMars<br><h6>Ella's Other Roger</h6> wrote:

okay, same things that Ella said, but, just to add.

Temple Of The Dog

Pearl Jam

Foo Fighters

And to add to THAT (again), the usuals...

U2, Madonna, stuff like that. Mika, of course, uh....I'll think of some more later...My brain hurts.

Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel a little sheepish by agreeing that a large portion of todays music sucks compared to the 70's (because I'm 42 years old-once one starts saying "music today isn't as good as when I was 18" then you've officially become an old fart), but there were so many wonderful choices of great bands putting out good albums. Jethro Tull, Wings, Zeppelin, QUEEN...and no rap...I just can't imagine todays average 18 year old 34 years from now saying "Man, this music today sucks, just give some good old (insert a currently popular band like Coldplay)". Most of todays popular bands won't have the shelf life of Queen, Pink Floyd, the Who etc, you know what I mean?

"The things you have to do for money..."
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Most of todays popular bands won't have the shelf life of Queen, Pink Floyd, the Who etc, you know what I mean?"

I think I agree with that, Bob, but it's difficult to say. I remember my dad telling me in the 70s that artists like Queen, Elton John, etc. wouldn't be around like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. But they did make it that far. So a group like Green Day, 16 years in with their current line-up, is 2 or 3 albums away from a quarter of century, and still super popular. The good groups will stand the test of time, and will always make it. I believe that there is lots of goods music as Lester says, and it's harder to find these days, but overall, "popular" music is beyond woeful these days, and has been for about 15 years.

You know, good times are now.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=0>Angus's Maiden<h6>Oh Yeah! wrote:

Have you ever seen my music list? Yeah, I think I listen to enough. I have gone WAYYYYYYYYYY beyond Queen. And I did listen to modern music. It's all the same. It all sucks. Like you.

I don't recall even addressing you at all in my reply, which was directed toward the OP, not toward you, so thank you very much for playing, but please try again. However, you seemed so certain that all modern music sucks, and that's final, so if you want to live in your deep hole underground and continue to dismiss differing opinions, then more power to you. Just don't come crawling back to the surface to us normal people when you're laughed out of your hole, though.

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

It is true though, that it has become harder to come by than it used to be. Reason? Small labels are the only record companies that tend to invest in truly new talent, and they've nearly all been pushed from the market by big money-grubbing multinationals.

Absolutely. There's more care for the artist in the indie labels, whereas on the major labels, all they care about is money and figures: if you don't sell a certain amount, you're immediately dropped. It's hard to fault them for this, because they're in the business to make money, but this kind of approach also stifles artistic creativity, whereas indie labels thrive on it and encourage it.

olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 07, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

have a listen to us... we want to change rock to something like it was.
wwww.myspace.com/joonrock