Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > To Seb in particular and others in general :)

forum rss feed
Author

Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is specially for Sebastian but also for all the song-analysis aficionados:

Since we exchanged a couple of interesting mails a few months ago about songwriting, and “who-played-what” in studio and “all that jazz”...

I remembered something that I wanted to share. As you might know (or not) I have a tribute band to Queen (well, we tribute the music and the musicians, so we don’t go into that rubbish of dressing alike nor putting fake mustaches.. if you want to listen someday.. you tell me).

Anyway, during one rehearsal with a choir (yes, we did perform BohRhap once in its entirety), me and the keyboard player were giving the chords and notes for the choir to play (it was a SATB choir) and I come across a certain resemblance between the chord progression of the “no no no no no no no” (each “no” has a different chord) in the operatic section, and WA Mozart’s Lacrimosa (from the Requiem). Of course, you really must play those chords in a much slower tempo (with the Lacrimosa cadence)

So, for those you understand what I’m talking about, try it.

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 07, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember comparing it to Don Giovanni too, after a fellow musician's suggestion.

Thanks for the info, do you happen to have the exact chords in that bit of Lacrimosa?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not at the moment Seb, but I can try to get them. :)

As a side note, as far as "perfection" goes and subjective as that concept is, Lacrimosa is for me, perfection. I can't think of any other piece of music more... "perfect".

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... However I confess I haven't heard any of QZ's Atheist stuff, just as same he's not familiar with that Mozart's stuff... ;)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd name Debussy's "La Mer" and "Claire De Lune" as well, and also Rachmaninov's vocalise.

There is really quite a lot of stuff I'd rank a lot higher than Mozart myself...

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus