Forums > Queen - General Discussion > 39

forum rss feed
Author

Elizabeth Knightson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry if that question sounds stupid to some of you, but why does the '39 tab specifies that you need a capo, when Brian doesn't seem to use any when playing the song?

Little Delilah
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because Dr Mop plays it in another key.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
cakebox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does mr May ever use a capo? Never seen him with a capoed guitar...

People like Pete Townshend have written half of their songs with a capo somewhere but May doesn't seem to do that, I believe..

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]innuendo1990 wrote: [/QUOTENAME]I can play about 20-25 chords. so im good[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]innuendo1990 wrote: [/QUOTENAME]no i think NOT[/QUOTE]
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Brian believes in capo-ing. It's essentially a folk-technique, and I believe he looks down on that a bit.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

cakebox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

I don't think Brian believes in capo-ing. It's essentially a folk-technique, and I believe he looks down on that a bit.

Yeah, you could be right.
That also reminds me of a remark he makes on the Making Of ANATO DVD, where he says that 'he wouldn't go as far to say he was the first, but it was rarely done in those days to play in Drop D' or something like that. I think that's rather a stupid remark as half of Dylans catalogue until that time had Drop D tuning and it was rather normal in the folk scene. Even in the rock scene it was quite common..

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]innuendo1990 wrote: [/QUOTENAME]I can play about 20-25 chords. so im good[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]innuendo1990 wrote: [/QUOTENAME]no i think NOT[/QUOTE]
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drop-D is extremely popular, and has always been, in acoustic blues, which is probably where Bri picked it up in the first place. Second only in popularity to Open D (DADF#AD) in the world of country blues.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Elizabeth Knightson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks guys!

Little Delilah
Sebastian

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyway, isn't the song speeded up on the album and that's why it's a semitone higher?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Wiley user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, I think that Brian prefers playing mostly open chords and avoids barred chords because of the richer sound and sustain. I imagine that he doesn't play with a capo for similar reasongs, perhaps?

cakebox. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Also, I think that Brian prefers playing mostly open chords and avoids barred chords because of the richer sound and sustain. I imagine that he doesn't play with a capo for similar reasongs, perhaps?

Well, the big joke of the capo seems to be that you can play open chords in places where you normally have to play barre chords...
For example if you want to play Ab, you can't play that open unless you have your guitar tuned a step lower, so you have to play that as a barre. But if you place, for example, a capo on the 4th fret and you play an open E, you also get the Ab, plus a rich sound and open strings ringing. Same goes of course if you have a guitar capoed at 1 and play an open G (there are a lot more of course)
So I don't think that is his motivation..

Wiley user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cakebox. wrote:

Well, the big joke of the capo seems to be that you can play open chords in places where you normally have to play barre chords...

I know, hehe :), but my experience says that it doesn't sound quite the same and the strings feel somewhat tighter.

I can totally imagine Brian being too picky about this, hehe :), but it is just a guess, of course.

Sebastian

Posted: 30 Jul 07, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm nearly sure that 'Someday One Day' must have been done with capo. So 1 song out of 150+ is fair enough.

stephane begin user not visiting Queenzone.com
believe in yourself and do it
stephane begin
Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe it s bad partition you have, i play the original way without a capo you can watch the way i play it on that link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Rey1YTweA

Stephane Begin , Quebec city Canada

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Anyway, isn't the song speeded up on the album and that's why it's a semitone higher?

Yeah, it is sped up. He did use one on Someday One Day

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)