Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Queen Live Archive List... FINALLY. sorry for the delay

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello patient people, and the not so patient abusive people too...

As promised, and as authorised by Jim Beach, and with genuine apologies for the big delay that annoyed some QZ-ers, here at last is what we have in the archive pertaining to Queen Live. It is, as I pre-warned you, not anywhere near as extensive as you might think or hope. We definitely do not, as you can see, have hundreds of recordings from the mix desk. It’s roughly 40 shows.

A fair exchange is no robbery, they say, and as I said before I am offering these details in reply to the greatly informative response many of you participated in here on QZ, so it’s only fair that we do the same, as agreed. The info you gave us was really good stuuf, a lot of it, and has provided MANY leads to follow up - not just me, but fellow fans/researchers too.

None of this info is hugely significant I'm afraid (there are no big shocks or revelations) because alas there is nothing profound in the archive… as you will probably have anticipated from knowing the content of all the products out there… Rare Live, Magic Years, Milton Keynes and Wembley DVD bonus material, etc, etc.

Bear in mind before you look at this that, yes, there are some oddments on cassettes too, from other shows – such as from 74, 77, 78, 81, 82, 84, 86, but those shows are not listed here coz there is no point in doing that. I’m talking here only about PROPER formats, not amateur stuff – poor recording we all have copies of, and have had for years. That’s why Golders Green isn’t on here, for example… because we do not have that show on a serious format - only bits of it, like you have, on cassette. We don't even have an LP, or CD or DAT. The same is true of gigs from 1978 and several other things you will probably have expected to make the list.

As I told you, the studio sessions and out-take audio archive is significantly more extensive, but thats not part of what we're discussing here, and it's not part of the 'deal'... obviously. The live recording are VERY limited, and the live footage is even MORE limited.

We have….

Argentina 81
Brazil 81
Budapest 86
Earls Court 77
Hammy Odeon 79
Hyde Park 76
Houston 77
Japan Seibu 82
Japan Tokyo 85
Japan 79 (bits)
Knebworth 86
Live Aid 85
Maine Road 86
Mannheim 86
Milton Keynes 82
Montreal 81
Munich 79
Newcastle 86
Paris 79
Rainbow 74 (March) plus some of the Nov gig
Rio 85
Slane Castle 86
Wembley 86 x 2.
Paris 97 – Queen & Elton

(some of the above tapes are 2” but most are stereo only)

Just because I wrote 'bits' after Japan 79, do not assume the rest are all FULL shows. That is NOT the case.

We also have various pieces of various shows from Europe 79 (obviously, because they were used for Live Killers) which are the ONLY things I can’t go into detail with here, because at this moment we do not know exactly what we have and what precisely is on all tapes – until we get to transfer them and work with them, which we will do sooner than later, I think.

Only when we play every tape all the way through will we know exact details. I will then discover precisely which segments were used for the Killers LP, and I’m looking forward to confirming all that stuff. It looks like we might have 13 shows represented but this does NOT mean they are entire shows, neither does it mean that what does exist will be great quality which will ALL be usable at some point. That presumption would be naive.

Most of what was discarded for Live Killers was probably left for good reasons – not least technical ones. I don’t know, none of us do, but we will soon. At the moment LK details are rather vague because we have never had reason to go into them in great detail like we did with the Freddie tapes for the 2000 ‘Solo’ box, for example. I’m talking about audio recordings only here, not footage. You guys already know what footage from this LK period exists and we do not even have all that you have seen – such as Japan 79.

Yes, I k

GB
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Greg.

I would love to have some more info about:

* Queen on FILM and VIDEO.

Pro shot or not / complete or bits and pieces:
Doesn't matter. Quality is not important.
for example:

-Pro shot bits and pieces. Shot by TV stations or Queen. (for example Mannheim 86, Knebworth 86, Milan 1984, Cologne 1979, Rotteram 1979, Brussels 1979)
-Footage wich was cut out of official releases: still in the vaults? (Budapest 86, Rio 85, Montreal 81 both nights,Q+PR Sheffield 05, etc.)
-Pro shot Queen + Paul Rodgers gigs: Cologne, Arnhem, Budapest,Hyde Park.
-ANY fan shot master tapes in the vaults. For example:
Queen + Paul Rodgers live in Worchester. (shot by fan on HiDef minidv camera from tripod, master tapes given / sold to Queen productions)
(Q+PR Dortmund 2005. 1 hour mini dv shot by fan,mini dv taken by head of security.)
-ANY 8mm /16 mm audience shot movies. For example New York 1977. Rumoured to be shot by a fan, taken by security at the gig, given to the band, now in the Queen vaults?

AUDIO:

-I would like to know more about audio recordings wich are NOT circulating amongst traders you are in contact with (people like Frank Palstra) but wich ARE in the Queen vaults. Audience, or pro recorded. Quality is not important.

-How about the Queen + Paul Rodgers gigs recorded from the soundboard? The ones wich Queen used to record for download purposes. Are the full shows still there? Must be the case I suppose. Would be great if they where released for fans like for example bands like Genesis/ Metallica/ Pearl Jam are doing.

Thanks for informing us. Hope this is the start of a new era: dialogue between Queen productions and Queen fans.

Ale_Pisa user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ale_Pisa
Bohemian: 901 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

We have….

Argentina 81
Brazil 81
Budapest 86
Earls Court 77
Hammy Odeon 79
Hyde Park 76
Houston 77
Japan Seibu 82
Japan Tokyo 85
Japan 79 (bits)
Knebworth 86
Live Aid 85
Maine Road 86
Mannheim 86
Milton Keynes 82
Montreal 81
Munich 79
Newcastle 86
Paris 79
Rio 85
Slane Castle 86
Wembley 86 x 2.
Paris 97 – Queen & Elton

?????

ONLY THIS???????? i can't believe it... :(

Thanks for the info!

Sorry for my english! :(
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks very much for this Greg. It really is truly appreciated by all decent people here, however late the response.

What matters is that you maintained a dialogue and a bargain with the fans here. Let's hope this benefits both parties.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Greg -- glad you were able to keep up your part of the deal.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob Hoskins - It's good to talk.

People really need to learn patience and just hold their frustrations back sometimes. I'm glad to see this news as it's something new, i.e. a public link between QZ and someone from QP. Thanks Greg.

Adam.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

We definitely do not, as you can see, have hundreds of recordings from the mix desk. It’s roughly 40 shows.

Could you tell us wich one you have?

Queen Archivist wrote:

We do ‘know’ of many other shows, of course, like you guys do, but when we chase them up they nearly always turn out to be partial bits and pieces, never entire shows and never in a condition we could use for much.

Yes they ARE interesting. Even if only partial bits and pieces. Quality is NOT important. Really! I'd rather see a couple of unknown crappy quality bits and pieces of footage than Queen at Saturday Night Live as a bonus on a forthcoming DVD. I think most die hard queen collectors / fans think about it the same way.

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Greg. Hopefully we can finally start seeing some of the 70's material before the rest of Queen is dead (all joking aside). Appreciate your work!

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 07, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kind of feel that if you aren't sure of anything being in its entirety you should go ahead and say "bits" beside it so that that list does not mislead people. The only reason to say you have the full show of something from that list otherwise is when you have confirmed it and that would then allow there to be a pleasent surprise for everyone. Otherwise I think if you all don't know what you have of a show you should modify this list and say "bits" beside it.

...and thanks for the work and letting us know about all of this...even though I can't provide you with anything!

Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How much of March 74 Rainbow exists?

Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are the 1986 shows complete? What about Paris '79?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for being a man of your word, Greg. Even if you only get a handful of replies, it will NOT go unnoticed!

Queen Archivist wrote:

We definitely do not, as you can see, have hundreds of recordings from the mix desk. It’s roughly 40 shows.

Any chance of you listing these off? Particularly, those ones that aren't already on video? The three shows in London 78 spring to mind, as well as various 1979 shows, and Los Angeles 1977 (Christmas show).

We do ‘know’ of many other shows, of course, like you guys do, but when we chase them up they nearly always turn out to be partial bits and pieces, never entire shows and never in a condition we could use for much.

But these are the ones we're most interested in - even if the quality isn't great. I'd just love to know what's out there... especially if it's from the 70s.

Munich 79
Hammy Odeon 79
Japan Seibu 82
Mannheim 86
Slane Castle 86
Newcastle 86
Maine Road 86

Are these the entire shows? Newcastle footage showed up on a TV report, but I've never seen any pro footage from Slane or Manchester... very interesting!

Earls Court 77

Both nights, or just the first night? We've heard the whole first night and 2 songs from the second.

Paris 79

Is this all three nights? About how much of each?

Knebworth 86

Is there any footage aside from the clips of One Vision, Is This The World We Created, and Radio Ga Ga?

Does any November footage still exist aside from what was officially released on the "Box of Trix" in 1991?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks for the reply. But i'm a bit confused. This list is about video recordings, not?

In your book we can see that there are several crazy tour shows in the vaults and also 12-22-77(on audio).

What I would say is: if the archive has a good enough show from each tour , why not make a box set whith audio-recording ?I would love it!

Nice to see knebworth on the list:how much is there? some other interesting things aswell.
thanks

on my way up
Wet Willie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not even Hammy Christmas '75... sniff...
what about the first Japan gig? Wasn't this recorded by a TV station?

So by this list, I presume, these are full shows and we could/might/maybe-if-QP-want-to see these as live albums/DVDs?

with fish and bacon, please
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much for this list, it's highly appreciated. This is the first time that a representative of QP shares some serious information with the fan base, many thanks.

I do not want any google ads here.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Queen Archivist wrote:

Any chance of you listing these off? Particularly, those ones that aren't already on video? The three shows in London 78 spring to mind, as well as various 1979 shows, and Los Angeles 1977 (Christmas show).
yeah, that's what i would like to know too.I know there isn't much footage but there must be a good enough recording on audio from each tour. And tours like the crazy tour and NOTW were some of their best! Imagine a release with the best shows not available on bootleg. Collectors of Queen live would be thrilled(certainly with seventies stuff)!

on my way up
Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks so much for the info Greg. It's greatly appreciated!

There's definitely some interesting footage in the list that will hopefully find it's way onto the shelves.

I noticed a few posts on some other topics here stating that the multi tracks were missing for Hammersmith 79. Can I assume that since it is included in the above list that it was just a rumour?

A shame there is no Fort Worth, TX 1977 footage in the vault.

djcamper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much.

P.S. Does video from 1988 Freddie&Cliff Time musical exist ? I know it's not 100% in topic, but very interesting.

eiricd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what exists from Maine Road, Newcastle & Slane 86...

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the update, Would any of these shows be released at some point do you think?