Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > For Queen Archivist - Audio / Studio Sessions

forum rss feed
Author

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg,

Given the excellent news on what we now know to exist officially in the band's film archive, what can you tell us of the audio archive, both studio and live?

I fully appreciate that you may be bound by various NDAs etc, but if you have managed to come to an agreement with Jim Beach regarding the film material, could you possibly do the same for audio recordings?


Benn
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Benn. No chance

Details of the studio sessions and out-takes remain secret, not least so as to make the Anthology box set as exciting and surprising as possible... which it DEFINITELY will be, I assure you. But it wouldn't be if everyone already knew details of what exists.

It'll blow your mind one day, honestly.

That info is private and none of my or your or anyone's business, quite frankly. I am 'employed' don't forget. This is my job of work - no different to you and your job of work and how you are also expected to keep things to yourself rather than tell it all to whoever happens to be in the pub at the time. I do only what I'm asked to do.

Like i've said before, me giving details of the Queen sessions archive and content is no different to asking a doctor friend to tell you details of his/her patients, what they have wrong with them, etc.... or asking a person who works for a food manufacturer to disclose what they put in their secret recipes, or about details of what they have in their warehouse - details if stock and turnover. that is all private stuff. We should not expect to be told such things. Queen is not OBLIGED to make public any of that stuff no more than is the Coke company, or Woolworths or Boots or ICI or ESSO, or British Rail.

Sorry, those things are nothing to do with me.

No, I dunno when the Anthology will emerge. That's not my business either. It's up to the band.


GB
BradBjorkman5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

No Benn. No chance

Details of the studio sessions and out-takes remain secret, not least so as to make the Anthology box set as exciting and surprising as possible... which it DEFINITELY will be, I assure you. But it wouldn't be if everyone already knew details of what exists.

It'll blow your mind one day, honestly.

That info is private and none of my or your or anyone's business, quite frankly. I am 'employed' don't forget. This is my job of work - no different to you and your job of work and how you are also expected to keep things to yourself rather than tell it all to whoever happens to be in the pub at the time. I do only what I'm asked to do.

Like i've said before, me giving details of the Queen sessions archive and content is no different to asking a doctor friend to tell you details of his/her patients, what they have wrong with them, etc.... or asking a person who works for a food manufacturer to disclose what they put in their secret recipes, or about details of what they have in their warehouse - details if stock and turnover. that is all private stuff. We should not expect to be told such things. Queen is not OBLIGED to make public any of that stuff no more than is the Coke company, or Woolworths or Boots or ICI or ESSO, or British Rail.

Sorry, those things are nothing to do with me.

No, I dunno when the Anthology will emerge. That's not my business either. It's up to the band.


im guessing there is a studio version of Hangman in excellent quality

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, there isn't. That has been told many times before. John S. Stuart probably has it, but not QP

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg,

I have to agree that QPL / The Band are not obliged in any way whatsoever to tell us anything, but....

I find it hard to digest that this information is of such high security status. Does the organisation believe that by giving out a few song titles and descriptions to the fan base, that this will then significantly reduce demand for any subsequent box set?

I would have thought that it would do JUST the opposite - for example, confirming the existance of Hangman, a pre-edit Bohemian Rhapsody or additional material from the sessions with Bowie for example, would increase excitement and anticipation amongst the hard-core collectors and casual fans alike.

What do you think are the next steps in getting this material "out there"? Is it simply band approval holding it back?


Benn
CD user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That anthology box set will never or not for a very long, long time be released. No one in QP has a desire to make this happen and when they do it will be worthless because we will have most of the stuff. So if the boxset is to be a success they need effort and desire, none of which I think exists in QP.

eiricd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

with all the activity around Queen&PR thue box set will no doubt be postponed for several years

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Details of the studio sessions and out-takes remain secret, not least so as to make the Anthology box set as exciting and surprising as possible... which it DEFINITELY will be, I assure you. But it wouldn't be if everyone already knew details of what exists.



I disagree with this.

I reckon that if you said, for example, there are Brian/Roger vocals for every song they've written, an alternative lyric for We Will Rock You, and unreleased tracks named x, y, and z, it would make the anticipation even greater, not less!

The only reason not to post a tracklisting now is in case some track gets removed by the time it's actually released.

A little information creates publicity, awareness, demand.
Zero information creates none of these.

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.

The only reason not to post a tracklisting now is in case some track gets removed by the time it's actually released.


QUOTE]
Would not suprise me if there isn't much new or interesting at all to come, and so by keeping quite, we keep anticipating.


Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, but would you feel less anticipation if someone said that the track "Treasure" was included? If we haven't heard something, our anticipation of it is unaffected by knowing the title.

Another example - if someone let slip a couple of titles from the current QPR sessions, would the titles themselves put people off buying the thing when it eventually comes out? That's like walking into HMV, reading the tracklisting of a CD and deciding entirely based on the song titles not to buy it.

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no point in releasing info to create "hype" if we're several years away from the Anthology.

CD user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with penetration_guru. But GB also said that queen are not obliged to release anything well we are not either obliged to go to concerts, buy cds or anything like that. If we wanted we could get one person to buy a queen cd and then get them to share for free with us. We have not heard aby new Queen (Not QPR but Queen) for 13 years. Now, I know freddie is dead (RIP) but since there is some stuff of good quality yet to be released I think we should get it. Anyone else agree.

dont try suicide user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 131 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greg,
umm...keep at it buddy. i can call you buddy right? can you dig up a bickering session featuring john deacon and freddie in the studio circa 78 for me? just send it to my email.
thanks greg. i owe you one.

by the way, hows the sparks box set coming along?

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 07, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darren Robins wrote:

There's no point in releasing info to create "hype" if we're several years away from the Anthology.


Yeah, we are several years away from the release aren't we - wasn't it in about 1997?!!!!!!

In addition, Greg has continually in the past gone on about the fact that he truly believes that some of the unreleased material is so stunning that Queen will have anumber one single again. Well firstly, they won't if it never gets released, and secondly, who seriously (even in 2007) gives a shit about singles charts, let along in another 10 years or so if it ever comes out?!!???

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Darren Robins wrote:

There's no point in releasing info to create "hype" if we're several years away from the Anthology.


Yeah, we are several years away from the release aren't we - wasn't it in about 1997?!!!!!!

In addition, Greg has continually in the past gone on about the fact that he truly believes that some of the unreleased material is so stunning that Queen will have anumber one single again. Well firstly, they won't if it never gets released, and secondly, who seriously (even in 2007) gives a shit about singles charts, let along in another 10 years or so if it ever comes out?!!???


The Anthology was originally planned for 1995/6 -after Made In Heaven was released.

Still waiting.

Madman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 206 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When anthology will be released we will have gray hair and hump on back and we will be deaf and blind :)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

No, there isn't. That has been told many times before. John S. Stuart probably has it, but not QP


Not "probably". He does.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Bites The Dust.
1996 Was the year that the unreleased stuff was coming out and since then we have been fobbed off with re-releases of the same old shite.

Fair enough we have had the excellent Video Hits DVD'S and Wembley, but i mean come on QP surely we will get something better before the end of this decade?

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's stated that Queen is the only band who had number 1 hits in the 70', 80's, 90's and the 00's (of this millenium), so in 4 decades in a row. If there is stunning material in the vaults that will give Queen another number 1 hit single, then my guess is it's released after 2010 :-)

Number one hits in 5 decades... there can be only one :-D


Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One thing that is forgotten with the anthology is that Brian/Roger wish for that to be the final chapter with Queen...therefore when they have finished as Queen, it will be released I guess.

However, if Queen + whoever is not meant to be Queen, or replacing John/Freddie in any way, then surely the anthologies should be released?

Leaving aside sentiment, this is a band who have not released anything new for 12 years and are unable to produce anything brand new. Which leaves us with old concerts, b-sides, demos etc. in the vaults gathering dust. As Queen - the lineup as we know it - are not an active band, just what are the powers at be waiting for?

Regarding the releases since Made In Heaven - I appreciate QP was required to release 6 albums from 1990 onwards by Hollywood Records, but netherless it has been a wasted opportunity.

The release of the complete first night at Wembley in 1986 was excellent, as was Milton Keynes 1982 but other than that what have we had in audio? Numerous compliations and broken promises. (Remember the mooted "Queen At The BBC" cd in 1995? The complete BBC sessions have still yet to be released, 12 years on.)