Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > About The Show Must Go On

forum rss feed
Author

buderhin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 223 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey people

I heard some things about The Show Must Go On...(about the Session aso...) like: Freddie recorded it in One take...

Is it true?

What do you know about the recording of the song?

thanks ;) =P

I had a dream
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if he did then thats absolutely amazing because its the best vocal performance ever by ANY singer. Freddie was just in another league and made all the other singers sound like total crap in comparision

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

cakebox. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

if he did then thats absolutely amazing because its the best vocal performance ever by ANY singer. Freddie was just in another league and made all the other singers sound like total crap in comparision

Freddie was just an average singer in comparison to Montserrat Caballe, Bredlie or the bloke from Treasure Moment.

Back on-topic now.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bri's comment on his website (6th March 2006) suggest that was the case.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

That hasn't gotten old yet.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Bri's comment on his website (6th March 2006) suggest that was the case.

Are you shure about the date? I can´t find it in that date. Could you post a link in case you have one?

Thanks

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, sorry, it was 5th ... it's when good ol' Bri got brassed off because someone thought Fred had written the song ;)

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html - Jacksonville and Butterflies

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
vonkeil user not visiting Queenzone.com
vonkeil
Bohemian: 241 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's best vocal performance EVER

Guten Morgen, sie w√ľnschten geweckt zu werden.
QueenMercury46 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenMercury46
Royalty: 1097 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Don't you get tired of saying the same thing all the time? I mean Freddie was an absolutely amazing singer, we all know that. I also think he's the best. But to say that other singers compared to him are crap? I know there are a lot of good singers out there.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Treasure Moment wrote: [/QUOTENAME]The only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms.[/QUOTE]
sir vinou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fred recorded the song in one take, Brian told me a few years ago.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The Show Must Go On" was not recorded by Freddie in one take ...

Brian was only referring in his comment on his soapbox to the line "...I'll top de bill. I'll overkill ...O-on with the show"

From Brian's soapbox (5th of March 2006)

" I'll top the bill. I'll overkill" - very Freddie, I thought ! ha ha! So did he. But those impossibly high bits? "O-On with the show...." etc. I was already apologising but Freddie said, "No problem, Dear..." or something like that... maybe I'm falling into the usual trap of putting "dear" on the back of every Freddie quote... but no problem it was. He downed a shot of his favourite iced vodka (Stolichnaya!) and went for it. Got it first time. Ouch ! "

Stefan

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember reading that the 'face it with a grin' part was a Freddie addition, lyric-wise.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TRS-Romania wrote:

"The Show Must Go On" was not recorded by Freddie in one take ...

Brian was only referring in his comment on his soapbox to the line "...I'll top de bill. I'll overkill ...O-on with the show"

From Brian's soapbox (5th of March 2006)

" I'll top the bill. I'll overkill" - very Freddie, I thought ! ha ha! So did he. But those impossibly high bits? "O-On with the show...." etc. I was already apologising but Freddie said, "No problem, Dear..." or something like that... maybe I'm falling into the usual trap of putting "dear" on the back of every Freddie quote... but no problem it was. He downed a shot of his favourite iced vodka (Stolichnaya!) and went for it. Got it first time. Ouch ! "

Stefan

But if you look here:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/tv/cnn/cnn.html

This is the transcript of world beat. Brian says:

"MAY: When I sang the guide vocal for Freddie -- and most of it I had to sing falsetto because I couldn't sing that high -- and I was going to Freddie, is this OK? And he downs a vodka and goes into the studio and just nails it. And I think it's one of his finest performances ever, the original version of "The Show Must Go On."

i think that it´s a first take, but if it isn´t, at least it was made in one session. That´s good too ; )

Take care

cakebox. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*(azzadude)* ..GET DOWN MAKE LOVE! wrote:

cakebox. wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Freddie was just an average singer in comparison to Montserrat Caballe , Bredlie or the bloke from Treasure Moment.

Back on-topic now.

Hail NO was he just an average singer in comparsison... Unless yout talking one styele of music in this comparison. Id like to see any other rock singer who's voice can do opera and fuck, everything else that freddie done. Id like to see Montserrat Caballe run her ass accross the stage like Freddie then pump out Barcelona. Good on ya!

Well get back on topic when you get back of the acid.

It was a sarcastic remark in response to Treasure Moments predictable answer. Saying things that Freddie pales compared to the singer of Treasure Moment or innuendo1990 should have given that away... or do I have to put bloody ' ;) ' emoticons after every sarcastic remark?

Hope that clears a lot for you..

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 07, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pardon my ignorance(and, I am reading Purvis' Complete Works...just too tired to recall what I KNOW is in there), when was this song recorded?

Freddie sings beautifully, of course, but, I don't think this is my very favorite performance of Mr Mercury's.

It is all random
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 07, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good dramatic performance by Freddie. Great vocals. I would kill to listen to outtakes of his vocals. Sounds timeless and is very cool. I wished they hadn't used synth strings, though.

For a showcase of Freddie's vocal abilities listen to Let's Turn it On (a capella) from the Freddie Mercury Collection.

Wiley