Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What do you guys on QZ think of Queenpedia.com

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Justin Shirley-Smith and I were having a detailed look at the Queenpedia.com site on friday and we were rather impressed, on many levels. It is effectively what we have been considering building ourselves in many regards.

Those behind it have done a superb job. Who was it that actually 'built' it, does anyone know?

It certainly has the feel of Wikipedia and that can only be a good thing. Our guess is that the two must be closely related. They seem too similar in too many ways not be linked in some way.

Anyway... can anyone throw any light on this for us?? I saw some names i know there, such as John Stuart and Lester B (Georg P, right?) and it seems that the right people are invloved.

Queenpedia.com is precisely the kind of thing Justin and I have been debating for several years, and indeed creating - that type of ALL-KNOWING and ALL-POWERFUL everything in the same place, definitive database - an evolving living breathing Queen data monster... compiled/maintained by the world's leading Queen expertise.

We have some very interesting databases ourselves, as you might imagine, and maybe we will contribute too at some point.

I have particular interest in Queen Live and Song Versions and I think this site may be the ideal place to host EVERYTHING we have and know, and everything you guys know collectively too. Thereafter we all just add and add and add info as it emerges.

What we need, for just one example, in our opinion, is a Queen Live area in which every gig ever performed exists; the date and venue, but also the setlist if known, support acts, whether it was recorded or filmed, in full or part, if any part of the show is available on official video or dvd, or unofficial, and details of tickets, tour passes, flyers, posters, tour programme, merchandise - info about ANY and EVERY aspect of every gig.

I realise much of this info already exists on the wonderful Queenconcerts.com site, but I think the massive power of this new site (relatively new anyway) is that in theory we all can add to it all the time.

This QZ site contains a MASSIVE volume of info about so many Queen gigs. My recent thread about WHAT EXACTLY EXISTS on Queen live footage now runs to 420 plus replies and MUCH info to wade through. So add that to the colossal volume elsewhere on QZ, and details of all the Youtube stuff, and you can see there is a ton of stuff to collate and sift and put into the relevant file... i.e. the corresponding concert.

Do you think this would work? I do.

The Qpedia site has been brilliantly devised and is intelligent in things such as NOT allowing just anyone to add data without challenge. People have to register first, I believe, and only if they are allowed in can they offer info - and even then it is, I think, considered before being ok'd. That's exactly how it will work best.

The same is true of Queen Versions. I have a database in which are detailed all known version of KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE, for example - all variants to have been released PROPERLY/OFFICIALLY on record/cd/video/dvd, etc. Not bootlegs. This database would be great if it were definitive, with several experts all around the world all contributing and all questioning each other's data where appropriate.

So... what do you lot think of that site and the concept of setting up Live Evolving databases there for everyone to hone and shape until everything is as tight as i can be... one day.

I guess Qpedia has already been debated here on QZ by you guys. Is that right? if so, what did you conclude?

GB
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg,

I'm really excited to read this from you. PieterMC and I had been throwing around the idea for a Queen wikipedia for a while before we finally started it up in April. I must admit that, while I was fairly hands-on in the formulative stages, various goings-on in my life have forced me to step back from the site -- so it's pretty much Pieter and his wife Erin who do most of the work now.

(Pieter will probably yell at me for false modesty right about now! But it's the truth...)

I don't speak for Pieter -- though he and I have been talking almost every day for the past four months about site updates and all that, and he ran the email from Justin Shirley-Smith by me -- but I think if someone from the official Queen camp were to contribute, it would be great. (As the site is owned by Pieter, I can only defer to his decision.)

As far as debating about Queenpedia here, we've only announced the site recently (within the past month or so), and it hasn't sparked a whole lot of controversy apart from praise. Our caveat is that submissions are limited, because we don't want people to turn it into a place where any old thing can be added, which is why Pieter, Erin, and myself do most of the work -- though we have people submit a lot of things, it's often tailored for the benefit of the site.

Our goal was always for Queenpedia to be the ultimate source for information about Queen, and I can only imagine that the information that you have will be supremely beneficial to our goal.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 07, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pieter and Erin (and Lester, too) have created a terrific site that was sorely lacking. I've said this before, but Queenpedia is one of the best Queen sites around and perhaps the best to come along in years (there are only about 7-8 handy Queen sites, the rest are all redundant). The fact that it is controlled by only a few, unlike wikipedia's user-edited content, increases its value.

Queen Archivist wrote:

What we need, for just one example, in our opinion, is a Queen Live area in which every gig ever performed exists; the date and venue, but also the setlist if known, support acts, whether it was recorded or filmed, in full or part, if any part of the show is available on official video or dvd, or unofficial, and details of tickets, tour passes, flyers, posters, tour programme, merchandise - info about ANY and EVERY aspect of every gig.

This is also a very good, though I imagine very time-consuming, idea. A show-by-show database with all of that info would be excellent. My only question is who would take the time to put it all together?

DJ's the man we love the most
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's almost impossible to have one website with everything. That's why there are several great websites with whatever each webmaster is particularly focused on and passionate about.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenpedia is a wonderful website and has been greatly appreciated by the fan community from the start like all quality websites have been gratefully welcomed by the fan community in the past. Pieter has a lot of experience from previous websites and Lester is of course the author of the best Queen related book. Erin's input cannot be overestimated, I cannot imagine the hours of patiently adding graphics and text.

Queen Archivist wrote:

I realise much of this info already exists on the wonderful Queenconcerts.com site, but I think the massive power of this new site (relatively new anyway) is that in theory we all can add to it all the time.

So... what do you lot think of that site and the concept of setting up Live Evolving databases there for everyone to hone and shape until everything is as tight as i can be... one day.

You can add information to Queenconcerts anytime. Hundreds of people have contributed to the website, I do not think there can be a better website about Queen concerts unless you copy/paste the content. Queenconcerts and previous versions have been on the net for many years now and newer websites can relate to the knowledge and experience of the older websites. It takes a lot of passion and patience to continue updating and improving a website like Queenconcerts over all these years.

There are other quality websites focussing on different aspects, for example Queen Museum, Queen Cuttings, Queen Archives, Queenonstage, Bob's recent Queenlive Canada, Bechstein Debauchery, Queen Songs and others. The variety of independent fan websites keeps the community alive. As much as I like the encyclopedia-like approach of Queenpedia, I would not like the idea that one website is the end-all and other websites are redundant.

I do not want any google ads here.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Queenpedia is a wonderful website and has been greatly appreciated by the fan community from the start like all quality websites have been gratefully welcomed by the fan community in the past. Pieter has a lot of experience from previous websites and Lester is of course the author of the best Queen related book. Erin's input cannot be overestimated, I canot imagine the hours of patiently adding graphics and text.

Queen Archivist wrote:

You can add information to Queenconcerts anytime. Hundreds of people have contributed to the website, I do not think there can be a better website about Queen concerts unless you copy/paste the content. Queenconcerts and previous versions have been on the net for many years now and newer websites can relate to the knowledge and experience of the older websites. It takes a lot of passion and patience to continue updating and improving a website like Queenconcerts over all these years.

There are other quality websites focussing on different aspects, for example Queen Museum, Queen Cuttings, Queen Archives, Queenonstage, Bob's recent Queenlive Canada, Bechstein Debauchery, Queen Songs and others. The variety of independent fan websites keeps the community alive. As much as I like the encyclopedia-like approach of Queenpedia, I would not like the idea that one website is the end-all and other websites are redundant.
I fully agree with you!There are some amazing websites.
The ones you name are fantastic:-)

You can't include all these in just 1 website.

on my way up
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, there's no way QueenConcerts could be moved to QueenPedia (or any other site :-) I have respect to every useful Queen site (because there are only a few such sites - and QueenPedia is one of them) but you have no idea what a huge project QueenConcerts is (in fact nobody has). Only Jen from BrianMay.com has put more effort into her website (not technically-wise but content-wise).

And also - to me it looks that your nice words about QueenPedia are just the typical "Queen Productions talk" - "we've been talking", "we've been discussing", "there's a huge project ahead of us" - with absolutely zero result. I can't count how many times you've been "impressed" by my website or wanted to use stuff from my website for some Queen-related release - but NOTHING has ever happened.

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

There are other quality websites focussing on different aspects, (...) The variety of independent fan websites keeps the community alive. As much as I like the encyclopedia-like approach of Queenpedia, I would not like the idea that one website is the end-all and other websites are redundant.
I fully agree with you! There are some amazing websites.(...) You can't include all these in just 1 website.
I agree too - when a website grows too big and omni-comprensive, it becomes difficult to appreciate its complexity and structure, and a lot of useful content is bound to get overlooked by the users.

IMHO it's best when they each focus on their respective favourite field of interest and competence, and cross-reference one another for other aspects.

That said, I see QueenPedia as a much needed "entry point" to the world of Queen for all those who want to learn more, because today if you have a question and you're Web-aware, you either Google it or Wiki it...

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed Queenpedia is brill. Congrats to the contributors!

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my mind Queenpedia really came about because I was tired of having to look at multiple websites to find information and the fact that many of the best Queen sites that are out there are just not updated anymore.

As Lester said we started this in April and developed it for several months before we launched. Yes, it's incomplete but I try and add something new to the site everyday.

Erin has spent a lot of time looking for images for the site. The most impressive being this page:

http://queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Brian_May_Guest_Appearances

Lester has contributed a huge amount of information to the site. He should take more credit that he is taking.

John S. Stuart is not an active member of the site, but he gave us his blessing to use information from any of the topics that he has posted online.

Lee Watkins has supplied some fantastic images for the site.

A need for a comprehensive live section is certainly an area that could be argued both ways. It was something that Lester, Erin and I felt was not worth attempting as we could not make it any better than Queenconcerts.

The one thing that Erin & I feel is missing is a price guide. Queen Picture Hall has this, but it is outdated and is missing many items.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the nature of a website that it's never complete, Pieter. Continuous updating is crucial and it's also the weak point of many websites. You have done an amazing job so far. In really very short time you have established a very comprehensive and reliable source of knowledge.

It needs a lot of staying power to keep updating such a huge website over the time. You get more criticism than anything and you do not sell a single copy;)

I do not want any google ads here.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

The one thing that Erin & I feel is missing is a price guide. Queen Picture Hall has this, but it is outdated and is missing many items.

Maybe you can contact this site for more information, he has a Queen (and related) priceguide.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kennethdrury/queenuk-pg.htm

p.s. my compliments to the queenpedia site. It's great.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

A need for a comprehensive live section is certainly an area that could be argued both ways. It was something that Lester, Erin and I felt was not worth attempting as we could not make it any better than Queenconcerts.

Yep, that's why the "live section" is basically just a link to QueenConcerts. :-)

PieterMC

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

It certainly has the feel of Wikipedia and that can only be a good thing. Our guess is that the two must be closely related. They seem too similar in too many ways not be linked in some way.

The site uses the exact same system as wikipedia. The code behind wikipedia is open source and free for anybody to use.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't see any difference between what Greg describes as the ideal Queen live website & queenconcerts.com

If QP are happy to contribute to a website, watermarked images of Brian's poster/ticket/pass archive (once the relevant book has been published) would be a great addition to queenconcerts. Ditto any setlists that may still exist.

The only thing I'd add to the Queenpedia discussion, is that the work involved in keeping a complete database of valuations up to date would be impossible to sustain, and would be the first aspect to become inaccurate.

And I'd like to apologise for contributing even less of late. Send me some email submissions guys and I'll get on to them, I promise.

PieterMC

Posted: 06 Aug 07, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would like to add a section for all radio shows such as BBC Rock Hour, Westwood One etc.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 07, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a shame Ron doesn't update his site anymore, it is a great source of info for collectors of records. I guess such a dead site could become part of QueenPedia but no idea if Ron would agree.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 07, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pieter i mailed a while ago about helping you out with the site. Have lots of scans of various releases. Mail me back: jimmy_kane82@hotmail.com

Killed by drones.
PieterMC

Posted: 07 Aug 07, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The one thing that we are trying very hard to achieve is to have good quality images of everything that we have in the discography.

If anybody has good quality scans of anything that they do not see featured on the site please send them to queenpedia@gmail.com

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 07, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

The one thing that we are trying very hard to achieve is to have good quality images of everything that we have in the discography.

If anybody has good quality scans of anything that they do not see featured on the site please send them to queenpedia@gmail.com

Do you have a minimum of dimensions and size?

Killed by drones.