Forums > Personal > What are the odds - three sick cats in one year

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The last surviving of my three cats is sick. We lost one last October and one this past June. Now the last one - who just turned 10 - is not eating. I noticed it Friday evening but thought it was due to attitude regarding kittens I just adopted from a local shelter.

Saturday, he was chewing funny, so I thought it was a problem with his teeth. But then he started vomiting - even though he hadn't eaten. Saturday night and yesterday it was more of the same. He's interested in his food - wakes me the same way at the same time every morning, circles my feet as I fill the bowls then runs to his food. Only problem is once he gets there, he simply stares at it for a few seconds then walks away. He won't even eat his treats. He starts to eat them then leaves them on the floor.

I took him to the vet this morning and he's lost 1/2 pound since his annual exam less than a month ago. The blood test results will be in tomorrow, but as of now, the vet said it looks like liver disease.

I can't believe this is happening. All three of my babies so sick so suddenly. I lost two. I can't imagine losing this one also. I just can't.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my last 3 cats i had all died within 2 weeks of each other,kidney failure,stroke and poisoning by a neighbour,which is why i refuse to get any more.
sorry to hear of your cats illness,i hope it gets better soon.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh no :-( I can't believe this is happening to you again! Sending good positive thoughts to you and your baby...

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am very sorry about this ongoing worry and grief you go through :-( I hope your cat recovers.

I do not want any google ads here.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh No!!!
Magical, I'm so sorry to hear about this!!!!
**Hugs** My best thoughts to you and your cat for a speedy and full recovery! Please keep us posted

Formerly MHG
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dude man that is awful!!!!! :-(

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Positive thoughts for you and the cat. I'm so sorry you're going through this again - and I'll hope for THE BEST!

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for all your positive thoughts. It means a lot to both of us.

I just spoke with the vet and it seems Ansel's blood work was all good except that he's dehydrated.

On the surface, that sounds great but the vet cautioned me, saying that all that means is whatever he has - if it isn't behavioral - has not yet entered his blood. He said if he doesn't come around in a day or two, then we'll start with X-rays and go from there. Right now, he's on a new, very wet prescription food that should help with his dehydration IF he eats it. Fingers crossed.

I did find something very interesting online. It's about 'fatty liver disease' in cats. Apparently, when they stop eating for a long time, the body stores fat, like humans. However, a cat's liver can't break down the fat and so it just sits there, slowly stopping the liver from functioning. The site also said, if it's caught early enough, it can be corrected with a change in diet. This is important because after Slinky passed away in June, Ansel barely ate for two weeks. It sounds like a possibility to me. I just found this out now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to ask my vet more about it.

Thanks again for all your good thoughts. I was a wreck before but I do feel a little more optimistic now. I'll keep you posted.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

do you think maybe your kitty has a virus? is it an outdoor one?

i do hope it will be ok!

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sparrow wrote:

i do hope it will be ok!

Thank you, Sparrow. I hope so, too. He's an indoor cat. Strictly indoor.

I suppose a virus is possible but the vet didn't mention that - or if he did I didn't hear it because the words "liver disease" were echoing in my head.

After losing my other two cats so suddenly, it's hard to think past the panic, you know? For all I know, my cat is simply still depressed and further distressed by having new kittens in the house. I'd hate to think he's that sad, but I'd prefer that over some of the other options.

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I hope he gets better. ;__;

Back whenever
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Magical,
I would only give it one day....trust me on that one. One day is all it takes sometimes, that's what happened with Boots.
If he won't eat the food, another way to get liquids into him is something I tried with Boots when she was sick. Though she ultimately died, the vet sugguested this to help her out and it works. He said that sometimes if they get a little dehydrated they'll stop drinking, but if you can get your cat hydrated just a little they'll start drinking again. All you need is an eye dropper and some Pedialite or Water. Hold the cat in your lap on his back and force the liquids down his throat. That will help with the dehydration.
My continued best wishes and please keep in touch with us!

Formerly MHG
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 07, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

i do hope it will be ok!

Thank you, Sparrow. I hope so, too. He's an indoor cat. Strictly indoor.

I suppose a virus is possible but the vet didn't mention that - or if he did I didn't hear it because the words "liver disease" were echoing in my head.

After losing my other two cats so suddenly, it's hard to think past the panic, you know? For all I know, my cat is simply still depressed and further distressed by having new kittens in the house. I'd hate to think he's that sad, but I'd prefer that over some of the other options.

oh i didnt know you had new kittens in the house! i think thats possible. i can understand feeling distressed about losing him tho.

my aunt's cat was really sick last week, almost died. it turned out he was just really dehydrated and had a virus (he is an outdoor cat and has been sick in all his 3 years of life) but is a fighter, and with some medicine and rest he feels for the most part, normal again.

usually cats tend to be drama queens when it comes to sicknesses (at least mine do, they are indoor divas) so they make the smaller sickenesses seem like its terminal, then a few days later theyre ok. i hope your kitty is just doing some silly things for attention like mine tend to do, and with new kittens, i imagine thats exactly what hes doing, just trying to keep your attention on him. but im no doctor. i hope for your sake, that he is definitely ok.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 14 Aug 07, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

Hey Magical,
I would only give it one day....trust me on that one.

I thought about you and your baby when this started happening. And I agree - one day certainly is enough.

I took him back to the vet this morning. Between yesterday and today he had maybe a tablespoon of food - and today I had to literally force it into his mouth.

They did X-rays and oddly enough it showed a completely full colon. I mean FULL. Could all this fuss be due to simple constipation? Can you imagine??? From liver disease to this? Gross but also quite a relief. They gave my poor little guy an enema and now we're home... you can guess what fun we're having.

They also gave him an appetite stimulant, so hopefully, we'll see some progress there, too. The vet did say that this 'backup' would certainly cause the symptoms I'd described. So, as of now, things seem a million times better than they did yesterday.

Tomorrow we go back for a follow-up exam and hopefully find out why this happened in the first place. He is on prescription food and I didn't introduce anything else into his diet so I don't know why all of a sudden he'd have trouble like this, but hopefully the vet will have a simple answer and not say something horrible was the cause.

Thank you all again for your well wishes. And my apologies for the panicked thread. I really and truly thought the worst was happening yet again. Thankfully, that seems not to be the case.

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 14 Aug 07, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow....someone actually thinks about me and the stuff I write here? I take that as a compliment, as it means I've made an impression on someone, and that is enough for me for right now. :-)
I'm SO glad to hear that you and your baby are doing better. Hopefully it was just constipation...maybe he's got a virus or something (even indoor cats can get them) or maybe it was a bad can of food.
Please don't apologize for the panicked post, Magical. Everyone who has responded to this thread is a cat lover/pet owner and unfortunately some of us here know what it is like to loose a pet. Someone once told me that it can be harder on a person to loose a pet than a family member, because animals can't back talk and they do nothing but are there for you and give you love, without doing anything that can hurt you. Loosing something like that is incredibly painful, and leaves a scar. I teared up the other day when I was going through some pictures of mine on the computer and found a picture of Boots on it, and I don't think I'll be past that point for a while. We all understand what you were going through when your cat first showed symptoms, and with pets it's worse because you can't ask them what's wrong and they can't communicate to you the problem...it's like a giant guessing game, with steaks that are incredibly high.
Here's wishing your problem has been solved, and please keep us posted on any improvements!

Formerly MHG
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 14 Aug 07, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

Wow....someone actually thinks about me and the stuff I write here? I take that as a compliment, as it means I've made an impression on someone, and that is enough for me for right now. :-)

LOL. As a matter of fact, you are among the few here whose posts I actively seek out. :-)

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 14 Aug 07, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

HistoryGirl wrote:

LOL. As a matter of fact, you are among the few here whose posts I actively seek out. :-)

Awww!!! That's so sweet Magical! :-) Nice to know that I've made some friends on this board.
**Hugs**

Formerly MHG
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 15 Aug 07, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it's not that either.

I took him in for a follow-up X-ray and it showed his colon is better (from the enema), but his bladder still very enlarged - at capacity, actually. For some reason, he's not peeing so the organs there are distended and pressing against his stomach - giving little to no room for it to expand with food.

They kept him today and catheterized him, thinking he had a blockage - which he's had in the past and is the reason he's on prescription food to begin with. However, there was no obstruction. They sent a urine sample out for a culture but right now, we don't have any answers as to why he's not eating.

Friday or Monday, depending when the technician comes in, he'll have an ultrasound where they'll check for acute tumors. This is going from bad to ridiculous to the worst imaginable.

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 15 Aug 07, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, Magical!!
I'm so sorry to hear this!!! Here's hoping it's just an infection. At least they know what's causing the not eating problem though, so the immediate danger is over.
Chin up!! We're all still pulling for you and your baby!

Formerly MHG
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 17 Aug 07, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO TUMORS!! :-D

Ansel just had his ultrasound and there are no apparent tumors. That means when his urine culture is complete, it will no doubt show a bug of some sort. Logic says that bug will be easily treated - or at least treated easier than if a tumor was found, which... did I mention... NO TUMORS!!! <sniff> I'm so relieved!