Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How did you *get into* Queen?

forum rss feed
Author

Bigbrotherbp user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a long story..When I was a kid, my neighbour had some Queen disks and I still dont know why I borowed some of her disks :D So my sister copied them to the computer: Bicycle Race, Flash and I want it all, but I didnt listen to. Then my sis played Bicycle race on the stereo then I started to love it :D But I only listened to it when I didnt have anything to do. I had a friend who liked Queen..and we sometimes talk about Bicycle race and Flash, and the only thing he told me was "uncle" Freddie died of AIDS =D. I also watched Small Soldiers movie much, then another one bites the dust came to my sister's ears. Then she told me what the songs's name, then played it on the stereo.
When it was 2 years ago, some friends of mine often sang: We will we will **** you! to insult someone. Then I tried to sing some other words that I remembered (because my sys played Five-WWRY on stereo before) but it sounded nonsense. They said: You sing it incorrectly! So I thought "they only know those words..why don't I know the whole REAL lyric?". When I listened to a mixed-content disk, I suddenly found out that the 100th song was WWRY :D. Then I tried to *write* the lyric myself. It wasn't correct but it sounded something like the correct one. Then I sang it with my friends. Then I searched for the correct lyric.
On that disk, there were some other Queen songs, and I was surprised because it had AOBTD. So I listened to it much...then the other songs...then all Queen songs (on the disk), then even bought another mixed-content disk for the other Queen songs..until NOW =D

*Brian Replied My Letter 5 times!*
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard ABTD on the radio and had my Mom drive me down to the record store to buy The Game. I was 10.

But I'm curious, and please don't take offense, how old are you? You said when you were a kid, my sister copied the "disks" onto the computer. That couldn't have been too long ago. Plus, with all the smiley faces and your verbiage, it sounds like not a lot of time has passed. Especially if only two years ago you were singing WWRY to other kids as an insult.

I'm just worried. You also listed your favorite beverage as Heineken.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked the songs.

Live Aid helped.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no one in their right mind drinks heineken.i brew a stronger cup of tea than that crap!

back on topic:
i saw the video for bohemian rhapsody on the christmas edition of "top of the pops" in 1975 when i was "knee high to a grasshopper" and became a fan right there and then.got my mother to buy the album and drove her mad playing Queen albums until i converted her to the cause too.
unfortunately,she wasnt so keen when i went through my punk phase and my ultravox/new romantics phase and threatened to put me in a home when i went through my yoko ono phase.she gave up all hope with me when i went through my sigue sigue sputnik phase and excepted the fact that i was beyond all reasoning ;-]
oh happy days!

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it may have been a few years ago (Possibly 2003?) when I happened to walk into the sitting room where my grandma was watching a documentary about Queen, and I was sort of walking in and out catching bits of it, then they showed a clip of Freddie and I remember saying "Is that Freddie Mercury? My god he's ugly." And then I promptly fell in love and the next thing I knew I had the albums.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Freddie in tights and the rest was history.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=007788>?Freya? wrote:

my grandma was watching a documentary about Queen

So we are officially becoming known as "Oldies" now, eh?

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

<b><font color=007788>?Freya? wrote:

my grandma was watching a documentary about Queen

So we are officially becoming known as "Oldies" now, eh?

maybe we should be called FOGS?
Freddies Old Gits ;-]

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My older brother took me to see Queen in 1982.

fatty.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fatty wrote:

fatty.

...what's the punchline?

I don't know if I can handle a serious response from fatty! Where's the punchline?!?!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

fatty wrote:

fatty.

...what's the punchline?

I don't know if I can handle a serious response from fatty! Where's the punchline?!?!

It must be one of those hidden jokes. Try rearranging the words and see if you come up with anything.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

It must be one of those hidden jokes. Try rearranging the words and see if you come up with anything.

That might be it. Let's see...

My 1,982 older fatty Queens took me to see brother... in.

...haha?

Sharon G.Queen Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

I saw Freddie in tights and the rest was history.

Same for me!!!!!

Sharon G.
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard Killer Queen on the radio, when I was about eleven. Then, I listened to ANATO, on vinyl, in my friends brothers bedroom, a year or so later, and, I had never imagined that anyone could make a guitar sound like that. Brian's guitar, and, Freddie's voice were a magical combination that came along at a time when I still believed magic was possible.

Life got in the way, for many years, of my appreciation for music, however, recently, YouTube has helped me to rediscover Queen.

It is all random
goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 27 Aug 07, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was 16, riding around in a friend's light blue VW bug, snow on the ground and no heater in March of '74, smokin and burnin, twistin and turnin, listnin' to Queen II.

In May, sat in the back of a van from Michigan to Harrisburg, PA, with the promise of meeting fatty and one of his 1,982 queens (although there were about 1,983 of us in attendance that night....hmmmm).

Instead, I got more s-faced than Brian and Joe Perry, left the concert halfway through Mott's opening number, dislocated my spine and my lunch before waking up hours later in Ohio.

Didn't meet a lass that satisfied those sweet lady needs for many years later.....Never met fatty either, but the dream lives on.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 07, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I opened it up and got into its stomach

:)
olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 07, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My grandma was a huge Queen fan and was getting rid of her record collection. She gave me Greatest hits 1 and Freddie's Mr Bad Guy. Never looked back since.

jcomber user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 07, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was first got into Queen following a Birthday Party at one of my neighbours at Airport Camp in Belize in 1981, All us kids had the usual Jelly in ice cream, once we scoffed till we were almost sick we then settled down to watch Flash Gordon.
Rockstars is a very loose label/title nowadays handed out like confetti to emerging artists, but these guys along with a few others Beatles, Elvis etc are the real deal.
Rock on!!

JAMES
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 07, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While I have vague recollections of hearing We are the Champions and Bicycle Race on the radio, it was the release of Don't Stop Me Now as a single that got me hooked.

Jeez, music in the first half of 1979 was amazing, wasn't it?

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 07, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to the recordstore for buying a beatlesrecord that was missing in my collection. That particular record I was looking for wasn't in the store at the moment so I bought Innuendo which I've heard from a teacher was a good record.. And then it went on....

John 3:16.....