Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Is there anyone left in the universe who does NOT know?

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there anyone left in the universe who does NOT know that in 2000, when I was working on the Freddie 'Solo' boxed set - of which I remain greatly proud, by the way - my old mucker John Sibelius Stuart sent me (us) an Ibex tape. This tape then went AWOL (that's Absent Without Leave) and later cropped up as a bootleg.

It was all rather regrettable and a bit embarrassing for me, to be honest. It was the first (and last) time that ever happened but it has been mentioned by John a few thousand times since.

John was not happy about this, reasonably so, and he said so. "I'm not happy about this" he said, quite a few times to everyone who would listen at Queen, and to their families, and their families' families. And to the people that supplied his coal and electricity, and the local cub scouts and their friends, in case they didn't know yet. And to the people next door to John who are not Queen fans and had no idea what he was going on about. "I AM NOT A HAPPY MAN" he said again, and then went to bed.

And then after telling everyone at Queen that he was not very happy, and everyone at EMI, and then at Virgin, Chrysalis, A&M, Rocket Records, Polydor and Arista, he rung me again to remind me he was not happy, in case I had forgotten - which I had not. Then he rang more people and repeated "I'm not happy about my tape going missing." Then he rang me at home again one afternoon. My mum was here at the time and John demanded to speak with her.

"Is that Mrs Brooks?"

"Yes dear."

"Your son lost my Ibex tape."

"Did he?"

"Aaaaye. He did."

"Hang on there dear....... Greg, did you lose this nice man's Ibex tape?"

"I did mum. I've said sorry."

"Did it have that Beatles cover of Rain on it, son?"

"Yes ma."

"You utter git. I am ashamed of you."

"Sorry mum."

"Unhappy John from Scotland... you must tell the world of this tradegy and calimitous disaster, and you must tell them LOUD and for the next SEVEN years, dear."

"I will Mrs Brooks."

"Goodbye Jonathon from Scotland."

"Goodbye Mrs Brooks. Did I tell you that your son lost my Ibex tape......."

My mum has never forgiven me for this, much like John, and I think she loves me a good deal less than she did before because of this, much like John, and I think it has caused such deep rooted scars that she will never ever be able to move on from it and will go on and on and on and on and on, until the Sun falls from the sky.

And then after that episode with my mum John told QZ he was not happy. Then he wrote to me again saying words to the effect "I'm still not very happy."

2 whole hours passed by and then...

John wrote to several other people who did not yet know that he was not very happy, to tell them he was not very happy. "I am John S. Stuart," he would impart, adding "and I am not very happy."

"Greg from Queen lost my Ibex tape. And life will never be the same again. Don't these people know this is my LIFE they are screwing with?" He would say, barely clinging to sanity and fighting back the tears. "This is my TAPE, my cassette, my..... Ibex live in liverpool recording."

John told every single human being that had ever lived, and a few that were dead as well, every breathing life form he could reach in any way imaginable, that the loss of his tape had upset him, and that was fair enough. I too would have got the hump had it been my most prized and cherished possession in the world.

But as I explained 106 times at the time, in 2000, and then 24 times in 2001, 33 times in 2002, 16 times in 2003, 47 more times in 2004, 28 times in 2005, 8 times last year, and 12 times so far this year, I am truly truly honestly and genuinely sorry that I lost the tape. What else can I say? Should I offer up

GB

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, the tape I lost was a COPY he made me, not John's master.

GB
Drowse1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So basically what you're trying to say is that you lost a tape of an Ibex gig and this bloke Jonathan isn't happy cos it was his? Did I get that right?

Mmmm. In truth I think you should apologise to him.

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right.
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fact John never said that YOU "lost" it, Greg. He always was very cautious about not blaming someone in particular. Your posts say so much more about you than about John Stuart...

I do not want any google ads here.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on Greg, this personal war between you and John is so incredibly boring .
Can't you just shake hands and close the file ?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait;
So John isn't happy?

Seriously, hatchets need burying. If y'all got hit by a bus tomorrow, would you want to go to Heaven knowing you spent so much time getting each others dukes up??

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, I think any proceeds made of the sale of the Freddie Box should be immediately turned over to John. The only reason I bought the box was for the lost ibex track. The rest of the stuff was just window dressing to me.

Somebody have a goat carrier they can loan?

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine...

In fact John never said that YOU "lost" it, Greg. He always was very cautious about not blaming someone in particular. Your posts say so much more about you than about John Stuart...

OH PLEASE! You surely do not believe for a second that anyone is remotely confused or in any doubt whatsoever that it is me and only me John is referring to in his numerous references to that incident? It's obvious to a blind man YV.

Come off it. Get real. EVERYONE knows it's me JSS refers to, and you know it too.

I have no problem with it, because I recognise that it's blatantly apparent to everyone including you, so I cannot see why on earth you would offer that comment. It seems totally redundant.

I have addressed this 2 or 3 times here on QZ, as YOU know very well YV, on 2 or 3 of the many ocassions that John mentioned it again. So is there anyone in your opinion that would be thinking... "Ooooh, I wonder who it could be at QPL that John is referring to?"

As if Greg Brooks would never occur to them. Like I say YV, come off it and get real - even though it is a minor point.

GB
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems like Greg fell in love...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So he is upset that Queen fans (who have never had the opportunity to do the awesome things he has)get to listen to and enjoy a rare Ibex performance.

Hmmmm............

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was unaware of this.

A million curses upon your loins Greg.

No, seriously. This dramatically alters my view of the world.

Whatever happened to "let bygones be bygones"? If this was the only known copy that had gone missing, ok, cause for concern, but it was a copy of the master, and this happened seven years ago. Can't we all just get along?

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A question for YV......

If it crossed your mind that John Stuart did actually tend to mention rather a lot the seven year old episode of the lost Ibex tape, and it was your personal opinion that mentioning it again in Justin Leiter's 'Open Letter' to Greg Brooks, though it is not relevant at all to his Mott The Hoople program, was rather out of place and repiticious, WOULD YOU ACTUALLY SAY SO HERE ON QZ?

Would you ever actually admit something like... to be honest John, you do keep on referring back to that thing, and perhaps it's time to move on??? Would you heck YV. Not in this life time.

It's a fair point YV, but conspicuously you will jump to defend John and his copious references to that episode, again, but never see (or at least comment on) the other side... that's because the other side is Greg Brooks' side, and that's because I do have a good and valid point which I know you can see. BUT, because I make it in a mocking piss-taking way that throws scorn on ENDLESS harping back to an ancient episode, you simply refuse to be impartial once again. Nothing changes with you.

Why don't you say ALL that you think. Express your ENTIRE feelings on the matter. It's fine that you have a go at me and point out the errors of my ways as you perceive it, but be fair and balanced, and have the courage too to tell John that you ALSO have noticed he does mention this thing at least every month or every other month. You know it to be true, so say it.

Try being fair. I've said this to you before when you expressed only one half of your views in order not to upset one of your friends. I believe that like me and others on QZ you should have the courage of your convictions.

Now, right now, you will have a further pop at me rather than say, "True, Greg, I recognise that John does go on and on about that lost tape. Fair cop. It is tedious, I agree. JOhn, please stop going on about it because it's really old news now. Thank you mate." That would be such a refreshing change; you being completely fair and expressing here on QZ (for JSS to see too) the WHOLE truth, not just edited parts of it.

Are you big enough to admit the truth in what I say YV? Or even to see it?

GB
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DavidRFuller wrote:

So he is upset that Queen fans (who have never had the opportunity to do the awesome things he has)get to listen to and enjoy a rare Ibex performance.

Hmmmm............

Actually David, nothing could be further from the truth, and I am a little surprised that you could be so easily duped.

I know - that you know - I just happened to share EXCLUSIVE material from my personal collection (which does NOT exist in the Queen vaults) over the weekend (especially as you provided the 'YouTube' video based on the download).

So what gives either you or Greg the right to be so judgemental - especially in the face of my continued generosity?

Three guesses as to who just lost himself a sweet little contact?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

By the way, the tape I lost was a COPY he made me, not John's master.

Actually, it was the MASTER casette which was lost - I kept my personal copy on mini-disc.

If I am not mistaken, what you actually needed was the master so that any further reproduction was the 'best possible available...', but I guess you have forgotten that too.

Anyway, as I have repeatedly said also, this has NOTHING to do with a cassette tape, but more to do with a philosophy or attitude. However I guess points of order or principle are lost on the materialistic.

Katicas..(L) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really need to start reading properly or wear glasses i thought it was john deacon you was talking about..lol
That would be funny if you had a arguement with him..:D:D

Signature??

I cant write on this can i??
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg - I do express my conviction. Only because you don't agree you think something is wrong with my views.

You want my entire feelings about the issue? here you go (apologies to everyone else)

I think it's an utter shame that a multi million organisation like QP borrowed a precious tape, allowed it to be stolen or get lost or whatever and did not have the courtesy to refund the owner, accordingly. If QP had done the right thing and if they had refunded the tape owner - nobody would even remember the affair. I have no knowledge about your role in the matter and I do not care. If you feel offended you may have your own good reasons. Truth is that John never held you personally responsible for the loss of the tape on this board. Certainly it was not your job to refund John, it was the job of QP who have more than enough money to repay a fan and collector for a lost/stolen item he kindly lent them.

If I were in John's shoes I would not shut up, either. Why should he? What in all the world would it have cost QP to pay him for his loss? Why should he be the one who lets the matter die when it's only in their interest to hush it up? If I were in his shoes I would keep complaining till the end of time, believe me. I am all for fairness and a peaceful solution but I do not see the fairness on the QP side and it would not cost them 1% of their annual income to settle the matter once and for all in a decent way.

John Stuart is not my friend, I am not biased because he sends me birthday greetings - he does not. I have never seen a photo, I do not know his age or any other personal data. He is a fan and respected member of this board, nothing more - and nothing less.

If you don't like my opinion that's really not my problem :)

I do not want any google ads here.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg - I'll express my ENTIRE feelings: you're idiot. But I did laugh with the "mum" story.

John - Are you really Sibelius?

Those asking John to let go - It's easy to say that when it's somebody else who's been offended. I don't think John is obsessively complaining or whining (I can't say the same about Greg), but even if he was, he's got the right to do it.

I think there are many people "left in the universe" not knowing about QP losing John's tape (and not even trying to compensate him for that); but there are very few people "left in the universe" not realising QP are a bunch of imbeciles, including (and starting off by) Mr Brooks himself.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the tape was genuinely lost, how did it end up being bootlegged?
Also, if it was indeed the master that was lost - couldn't QP atleast have given John a digital copy of the professional transfer of the tape? And as a side note John - it would make more sense to back up such recordings to DAT or as uncompressed audio files as MD is unreliable and below the quality of CD.

Victorvil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

"Greg from Queen lost my Ibex tape.

Am I the only one that haven't seen Greg in a stage WITH Queen between 1971-1986. Freddie, John, Brian, Roger.... but.. GREG??? Wasn't SPIKE???

Vic

love kills----
John S Stuart

Posted: 30 Aug 07, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

If the tape was genuinely lost, how did it end up being bootlegged?
Also, if it was indeed the master that was lost - couldn't QP at least have given John a digital copy of the professional transfer of the tape? And as a side note John - it would make more sense to back up such recordings to DAT or as uncompressed audio files as MD is unreliable and below the quality of CD.

I agree with you, but as hindsight is a perfect science, I (mistakenly) believed that the original cassette would be returned. Therefore, I also thought that a safety back-up, rather than an uncompressed audio file would suffice.

So hopefully I have learned at least one lesson!

Nevertheless, as I keep preaching, I have long accepted the loss of this cassette - and this issue has nothing more to do with a physical artefact.

Rather, my point is more about the abstract principles of attitude, morality and responsibility, but I guess there are those who miss these wider issues because they cannot see beyond their physical confines.