Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "Queen Rock Montreal" - reviews

forum rss feed
Author

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 07, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apologies for the scattergun nature of these comments, but I just got back from the cinema and have a plane to catch, so the quicker I get this down the better...

1. It looks fucking phenomenal, as you'd expect from a show filmed in 70mm. Those of you with HD equipment will be knocked out by the clarity. I especially like the side view of RT during IILWMC.

2. Why is Jailhouse Rock still in the wrong place? It would fit perfectly well between bo Rhap & AOBTD and would give better continuity (clothing & equipment - Brian's clothing and Freddie's CLTCL mikestand, which can clearly be seen being carried off AFTER Jailhouse Rock (possibly twice)

3. All the encores are from the same night, as can be identified by the front row of the crowd 9once they're up and at the stage

4. The crowd sound was always going to be contentious. Queen will say that the new louder crowd is more representative, but there will be many who think it's been boosted beyond what actually happened - as it is now, it sounds as though plenty sing along with LOML, but Freddie still says "don't know it, huh" half way through, and sings it all. There is always applause and cheering to be heard, but when we see the audience (which happens more often than I remembered), many are sitting down, barely applauding and visibly making little noise. I dunno - instinctively I think it's MORE representative now, but still not quite "right"

5. It's hard to know whther the reverb on Freddie's voice throughout was a trick of me not sitting in the sweet spot of the surround (unless I fluked it, which seems unlikely), or a trick to beef up the sound. Hopefully it's the former as I think it's an excellent performance - the clarity of the softer vocals seemed much higher (stuff like Save Me)

6. If the band have multi channel audio form both nights, surely they therefore know pretty well which song is from which night, dropped in shots notwithstanding? It would be nice to know

7. how many drum solos can a man have and still decry them?

8. Ignoring Jailhouse Rock, there are two encores, yet the way it's cut it seems like they just ripped straight through all the tracks. It would have felt more natural to me if there had been a few more seconds before AOBTD, and before WWRY...just to give the impression of time passing - presumably they have audio (or could drop some crowd noise in - who'd know?), screen would be black at this point anyway...maybe that's a little controversial

I'm sure there were other points I wanted to make, but I can't remember them. See what others think...

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 07, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The main question I have is does it look much better than the last US DVD release?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And what about the sound quality and mix? That's really the only thing that may potentially make this "new".

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

The main question I have is does it look much better than the last US DVD release?

Honestly, how can you expect this to look better that the last release? thats as good as its gonna get.
Yep what about the sound???

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
write your letters in the sand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P_G wrote:

7. how many drum solos can a man have and still decry them?

Spot on!

Ready Freddie?
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank God for that quiet audience. I mean, it´s bad for the band, but we get to hear and see the best live performance of LOML, and in the right night. Frddie´s voice was on fire.

Take care

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't get it. He posted a review bigging up BOTH picture and audio from the HD version, it seems! Just note the part about Roger's bit. And he even highlighted audio examples where it's better, i.e. Save me.

Of course it's better than the last US release. How could it not be??

Adam.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 07, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't see how the picture could be much better than the last DVD.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 07, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

This DVD is so detailed you can see the KS, years before they started forming. Just like on Live Aid.

In some shots, you can also see the KY...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 07, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

This DVD is so detailed you can see the KS, years before they started forming. Just like on Live Aid.

O_o

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 07, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

Will I see this on my television as well, or do I need to watch it from a 50' screen?

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

You've obviously never heard of High def DVD then? This is what PG has based his review on, in fact it's based on the high def cinema release currently doing teh rounds in a few cinemas in the UK, so even this should blow away a domestic DVD AND HD-DVD/Blu Ray version.

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 07, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the review.

I have to ask, though...

In the back of my mind, I'm sure that Freddie was commenting on the fact that the audience didn't seem to know the words to LOML.
I wonder why no-one has ever mentioned the possibility of him, sort of, reinforcing the "You don't know what it means to me" line of the song.

Again, I'm not arguing that this is truth, but does anyone else think it could be a possibility - especially after this review of the new sound mix?

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 07, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kohuept wrote:

Thanks for the review.

I have to ask, though...

In the back of my mind, I'm sure that Freddie was commenting on the fact that the audience didn't seem to know the words to LOML.
I wonder why no-one has ever mentioned the possibility of him, sort of, reinforcing the "You don't know what it means to me" line of the song.

Again, I'm not arguing that this is truth, but does anyone else think it could be a possibility - especially after this review of the new sound mix?

When I first watched it, I only heard sarcasm and bitterness in his voice, I honestly don't think he was just reinforcing the lyrics. Besides, after he said it, he turns to Brian and does a kind of 'just you and me then?' gesture. The one plus point, as another poster has mentioned, is that we get to hear the most amazing performance of LOML, his voice was absolutely perfect on this one-just a shame the crowd probably didn't appreciate it.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kohuept wrote:

Thanks for the review.

I have to ask, though...

It's an argument you could make, *except* for one eensy-weensy little fact:

Queen never played LOML in North America again during Freddie's lifetime.

That, to me, says that people in North America genuinely did not know the song well enough to take over, and Freddie therefore didn't see the point in continuing to sing it.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
pow wow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watched it myself last night in Wigan.

Have to say the picture was truly phenomenal!! The detail was amazing.

I don't remember so many extreme close-ups as before, will check. It's as if they were able to zoom in to the reel because the quality of the picture will remain. I agree about the crowd close-ups, there wasnt as many before.

The more obvious overdubs have been removed which is a good thing.

The sound has been vastly improved, more of a full feeling to it and I don't think the additional crowd noises make the concert unbelievable. Brian's solo did sound a bit special with his delays echoing around the theatre.

Only complaint is that the theatre could have done with playing it louder. Also they wouldnt give me a promo poster when asked - they'll be rare!

Would love to see the HD version when it's out.

"....you don't get that on X-Factor do you"
Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I notice that in the UK it's only playing at "Empire Cinemas", all of which are in the blinkin south of the country!

The North/South divide still exists!

Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pow wow wrote:

Brian's solo did sound a bit special with his delays echoing around the theatre.

So is it a typical Queen release?
Dull surround sound (crowd etc) until Brian's guitar solo which suddenly blossoms from all speakers and once finished the surround sound becomes dull again? (Wembley, Milton keynes, Sheffield 05....)
Freddies voice drowned out by guitar is it?
Roger's drums relegated to the background?

There's a bit of standard going on isn't there: Brian's suddenly the dominant sound.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is "suddenly" the dominant sound?? What videos have you been watching over the years? If it's higher than previous video releases, then I might believe that claim.

I was amazed at the overall -sound- of the 2005 Q+PR dvd release. Every member of the band sounded great. Maybe Mr JSS' mixing style is just not to your liking. I know some here don't like what he does with Roger's snare sound.

Adam.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I definitely don't like the sound of Roger's snares. Don't know if that's how it's mixed or how the drums are tuned but the sound is sooo weak...