Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Masterplan DVD - Queen Live in Japan 1985

forum rss feed
Author

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bought this last Saturday at a record fair and the quality is pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone has more info about the source of the video.

http://www.tanieplyty.pl/product_info.php/products_id/3077

Killed by drones.
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This concert has been exclusive to the Japanese market for twenty years now, and as far as I know, any other dvd version available around the world besides this one

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ARE-CHAMPIONS-FINAL-LIVE-JAPAN/dp/B0001ZN8R6/ref=sr_1_2/249-9047911-1562726?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190619769&sr=1-2

is an unlicensed pirate copy made from the official Japanese "We Are the Champions - Final Live in Japan" release.

The Fairy King

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The guy i bought it from said it isn't from the official release, but from the Tv broadcast...

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

The guy i bought it from said it isn't from the official release, but from the Tv broadcast...

It IS from the 'official' release!

All tv broadcasts had slightly different edits.

ok! Thanks for the quick response! :D

Killed by drones.
Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It IS from the 'official' release!

All tv broadcasts had slightly different edits.

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw this DVD at Wal-Mart of all places for $15. I was very close to picking it up.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Same old shit with same shity keyboards above the guitars.

Queen rocks!
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is the masterplan DVD OFFICIAL ?
I've bought it, but it looks like a cheap bootleg to me

The Fairy King

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote:

Same old shit with same shity keyboards above the guitars.

The keyboards and electric drums are really horrible yeah. :( Freddie's voice wasn't great that night either.

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Well...it reminds me of the German concert dvd's(Like Metallica's San Diego '92 concert) who look VERY unprofessional but are sold at the Free Record Store's(Eq. of the Virgin Music stores) in the BeNeLux. So that's why i wasn't sure about how " official" this release is or was.

Killed by drones.
Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You get Masterplan DVD's in nearly all record shops in Germany (mostly at "big" ones like Saturn, Media Markt..) I bought a few so far, but they are all disapointing. "Black Sabbath" Live in Paris'70 looks horrible, like a very high gen VHS with distorted picture, "Nirvana" Live at Reeding is incomplete and with annoying song titles on screen through the whole concert and "Aerosmith" Texas Jam'78 comes with a horrible stereo mix; the right channel is loud as hell while the left is hardly heard..plus, they have their "logo" through the concerts on top left of the screen, which is annoying to.

All their (unofficial) releases are available at trading sites, often in much better quality. Don't waste your Money on this crap...

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cygnus X-1 wrote:

You get Masterplan DVD's in nearly all record shops in Germany (mostly at "big" ones like Saturn, Media Markt..) I bought a few so far, but they are all disapointing. "Black Sabbath" Live in Paris'70 looks horrible, like a very high gen VHS with distorted picture, "Nirvana" Live at Reeding is incomplete and with annoying song titles on screen through the whole concert and "Aerosmith" Texas Jam'78 comes with a horrible stereo mix; the right channel is loud as hell while the left is hardly heard..plus, they have their "logo" through the concerts on top left of the screen, which is annoying to.

All their (unofficial) releases are available at trading sites, often in much better quality. Don't waste your Money on this crap...

Nice that you write it NOW :)

willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Well...it reminds me of the German concert dvd's(Like Metallica's San Diego '92 concert) who look VERY unprofessional but are sold at the Free Record Store's(Eq. of the Virgin Music stores) in the BeNeLux. So that's why i wasn't sure about how " official" this release is or was.

That particular show was actually part of the Box set "live shit, Binge and Purge".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Shit:_Binge_&_Purge

How this show could be released simultaneously beats me, but I've also bought the 5 euro release, instead of the expensive box-set :)

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just bought the Masterplan DVD of Queen Live in Japan 1985 and was very impressed. If you set aside the fact that the drums and keyboards are, to say the very least, annoying, you have yourself a quality Queen rock concert. I might actually prefer this concert to their Wembley performance in 86', it's just that good to my eyes and ears. As for Freddie's vocals? Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Give the guy a break.

By the way, I bought my copy at an FYE store. It was the last one!

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Cygnus X-1 wrote:

Nice that you write it NOW :)

hehe, just seen this post today! I hope you don't payed too much, over here, they cost about 10 euro...

Nick Armstrong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brought my copy from Amazon.co.uk (follow the link) for 4 quid. It now costs around 6 quid, well worth the "small" investment in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000GCGDOY/ref=sr_1_olp_5/026-2310642-8443631?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190646056&sr=1-5

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't the Masterplan (MP) logo continous on the screen throughout the video?

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How can this guys from Masterplan be on the major retailers around the world selling bootleg DVD´s from Queen, and QueenProductions not doing anything against it?

Take care

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 07, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David Jones wrote:

Isn't the Masterplan (MP) logo continous on the screen throughout the video?

Yes.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 07, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_brown wrote:

How can this guys from Masterplan be on the major retailers around the world selling bootleg DVD´s from Queen, and QueenProductions not doing anything against it?

Take care

I'd assume it's a mixture of shops wanting to sell more products no matter how dodgy they are, EMI ignoring them because there is never going to be an official release, and Queen letting it happen just to spite the Japanese company who doesn't want to let go of the exclusive release.