Forums > Personal > What's the childhood toy you never got rid of... or wish you never did.

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still keep the teddy bear I've had since I was a toddler. I don't sleep with my bear, but it has a special meaning to me.

I'm very glad that my Super Nintendo still works. Once in a while I go back to play Super Mario, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat. Sometimes the cartridges don't work right away, but you just tap them a bit and they work. I'm very glad that video game stores sell used old school video games. It's funny how almost 18 years ago those video games cost 50-80 bucks, and now I can get them for 5 bucks or less.

I wish I never got rid of my legos. Although now that I have a niece, I look very forward to play legos with her.

So which ones are yours?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had two great toys as a kid and despite all the things my parents kept all these years, for some reason, these two toys were not among them.

Thimble City and Showboat.

Thimble City was this tiny town with movable cars and people. Each car and person had a magnet beneath it and the 'city' was on a four-footed platform. Magnetic wands were meant to be maneuvered along the underside of the platform to move the cars and people around their city. I LOVED Thimble City. Loved it.

Showboat was a stunning plastic old river paddle boat with one open side. The open side showed the 'stage', which was the entire body of the boat. It had a script book with different plays, small character figurines and different cardboard backgrounds to slide into a slot in the back of the stage. My sister and I put on a lot of plays for our parents when we were young.

If they make things like that today, they probably cost a fortune. I wish we still had those toys. It would be nice to look at them again and see if they're as I remember them.

Cool topic, Jingles. :)

==
EDIT - Fab. I found Showboat on ebay. Odd... it looks exactly the same as I remember, only smaller. :-/

http://cgi.ebay.com/boxed-1962-Remco-Showboat-stage-show-wizard-of-oz_W0QQitemZ190155115262QQihZ009QQcategoryZ727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Raststätte-Knödel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Eppiekleppie
Raststätte-Knödel
Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All.

Kunst-Raststätte
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i had a stuffed bunny named 'foof' :p and a lil toy bus i loved playing with ( dont know why)

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Gratzi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahhh... It's got to be the Barbies! As a matter of fact, I bought this one last week!: http://www.pdsoriginals.com/images_barbie/15646.jpg

What? It's an investment! (I hope...) ;)

'Known for the hugeness of my gong' - Roger
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My pink toy cat. =D

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've still got my teddy bear (whom I very creatively named Tan Bear when I was able to talk) (yes, he's tan!) but I wish I still had all my Matchbox / Hot Wheels cars. I would play with them in the driveway and yard, and lost several along the way. When I was going through my monster truck phase, I would place the cars in the tracks of my dad's car, so that whenever he'd come home from work, he'd crush my cars, giving them that authentic "crushed by Big Foot" look.

Also, I used to have pretty expensive scale (1/24) model cars that were heavy and metal. I bet they don't make them anymore -- too much of a risk. Anyway, I'd play with them a lot and damage them considerably -- doors missing, tires broken, etc.

One toy that I think was taken away from me (with good reason) was my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pizza shooter, which I had in my possession for about 15 minutes before it was taken from me. I chased my cats and sister around with that and shot little plastic pizzas at them. Parents weren't too happy about that...

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still have my Apple II computer and all the software I compiled during those years. Yeah, the wife bitched about living in the 80's blah blah blah, but when I sold ONE floppy diskette named "Akalabeth" for $600, she realized I had something worth keeping all these years.

A Hitchhiker's guide with the Red "Don't Panic" button can get anywhere from $50-$80 bucks.

Other things I'm glad I hung unto:
Kenner Star Wars toys
Mego Star Trek 8" toys
2-XL
My Prince Graphite Pro tennis racquet
Albums & 45s

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Argh, my Legos!!! Squeeee. Me mum threw them out so I KILLED HER MOTHER.

A fair trade, I think.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still kicking myself over this,
but I used to have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle blimp. I also had their house (which was pretty big when fully built) and a bunch of other stuff.... I still have the Turtle van.

Those were the days....

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome. Aklabeth. Richard Garriott ftw.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
.DeaconJohn. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 437 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never throw anything out. My SNES is still in tip top condition.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iGSM wrote:

Awesome. Aklabeth. Richard Garriott ftw.

Yep, his first work. Didn't realize the demand for this thing.

Nevermind user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Noddy teddy.

Me and JJ have decided. Roger Taylor's nipples are hot! http://bebo.com/NeVeRmInD1991 <---- Moi
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/_VinceNoir_/cat.jpg

^ Those 3 mainly. However, I'm a bit of a hoarder and a lot of my childhood stuff is kept in the roof in cardboard boxes. Including a life-sized barbie. Christ.

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still have 3 of my barbies back home :D.

My fav one got decapitated thanks t my sister -.-'

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still have all-my barbies(I will never forget how sick was playing with those barbies, my and my best friend Petra, we were really crazy :), teddy bears, cars...When I was little (for about 4 years old) I wanted to have toys of all Disney charecters, my parents bought my few of it, but they couldn't buy that much... So I asked my brother to draw some of the charecters on the paper and then I had cut them out with the scissors....hahahahahahahaha....I was actually playing with those papers XDDDDD when my parents saw that they were touched, they told all of their friends how creative I am..hahahahahaha...of course I still have my nintendo 64...my first game was mario 64-I remember that I watched my older brother playing it and I cried on that part when you need to bring baby penguin to her mom, but there was one fake baby so I was sad because that one does not have mom-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (A W E S O M E game), I was 6 when we bought it, I even finished Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time-amazing....great memories :D (I have all locked in my pirate chest:)

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Gratzi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF66FF><b>Marial-B wrote:

I still have 3 of my barbies back home :D.

*Killer Queen* wrote:

I still have all-my barbies(I will never forget how sick was playing with those barbies, my and my best friend Petra, we were really crazy :)

This calls for setting up a Barbie Appreciation Society! three members already. Any other amateurs? ;P

'Known for the hugeness of my gong' - Roger
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my, stop this Barbie talk, I'm starting to wish I hadn't chucked all mine away... and I fell an urge to but one.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 07, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=007788>?Freya? wrote:

I fell an urge to but one.

You feel the urge to BUTT fuck one? XDDDDD