Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Boston Music Hall 1975 - possible new "bootleg" release

forum rss feed
Author

james123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have digitally transferred a 1st generation tape of Queen that was taped from the audience in December 1975 at the Boston Music Hall. It has never been copied or distributed. I came across the master tape purely by accident – which had been missing for years. I gasped when I found the tape.

What makes this unique and valuable are 2 factors:

1) This is the only taped concert of Queen playing in Boston
2) Queen has always had a large fanbase in Boston, as Brian says himself from the stage during the show

I have already done all the technical legwork of transferring the master tape to digital and carefully editing it to a group of high-quality MP3s.

The original recording was done from the balcony with a reel-to-reel player, there also were also 2 high quality microphones used so there is a hint of “stereo effect”.

Overall, the sound quality I would describe as a high-end audience recording. This may be perhaps one of the best audience-based recordings to come to light.

Contains the full, per-usual Queen setlist from the 1975 US Tour. Freddie mentions “the Boston Fire Marshal – Merry Christmas to him” to prove the authenticity of this recording.

There is virtually no distortion despite the high sound pressure. There is some occasional nearby audience chatter and clapping, but it is not excessively intrusive at all. You also hear the good acoustics of the Boston Music Hall, and as Queen live sound mixes always pushed the low-end hard there is some “boominess”, but this was the reality of the live show and the equipment used.

Every song in the set is included in this possible submission of MP3s, the only thing that is missing is the first 2 minutes of “Sweet Lady” which opened the show, due to some last moment problems engaging the reel-to-reel. Everything else is there besides the usual lively banter from Freddie and Brian.

I await permission from the Queen online store at

http://www.7digital.com/stores/default.aspx?shop=14

to submit the group of MP3s - I will post here when/if they are released.

Keep tuned!

james / south of Boston

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mp3?

permission from Queenonline store?

*more ???'s*

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

December 1975?I really doubt it cos Queen were on a tour in the UK by then.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am corrected. Apologies!

Thank you.

The date on the tape is January 29, 1976

The band also signed copies of NATO at the Strawberries near the Prudential Center earlier that day. I have some slides from the session.

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MP3 - standard compressed file containing a song. Playable on computers and thru other media.

I will not be uploading this concert to a BitTorrent - rather to the Official Queen Website. That is if they accept the recording (collection of MP3s).

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who cares about Queenonline???

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

james123 wrote:

MP3 - standard compressed file containing a song. Playable on computers and thru other media.

No way, I don't believe you. Really, tell me.

josedequeso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 277 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This one seems kind of funny to me. We've all been told that people don't want to share their new tape sources because they are afraid that they will be encoded to mp3, while here he only wants to share his show in mp3. Am I in a twilight zone?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you're here, then you must know that this is the place to share recordings. Why bother going through the hassle of dealing with QOL, where people would be forced to pay to hear your recording? And if you went through all the trouble to "carefully" transfer the tape to the computer, why bother undoing much the effort by encoding to mp3, where quality is lost?

In the case that what you're saying is completely true, then I'd be surprised if these "bootleg experts" actually released your recording, rather than keep it for themselves and continue to release shows that collectors have had for years. But if it pops up, then great. Keeping in mind that the ratio of stories about new tapes to actual new tapes is pretty disproportionate, let's see what happens next. That said, I can't wait to hear Freddie wishing the Boston Fire Marshall a Merry Christmas... at the end of January.

Hmm, I'm in the mood for some 1982 Queen... I think I'll put on the Boston recording.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, James.
Please ...

1) Don't encode it to mp3, encode it to wav and then to some lossless compressed format, like flac or ape.
2) Don't sell the recording to Queen Productions or whoever owns queenonline.com . That's the worst thing you can do to the recording.
3) Either share it here or keep it for personal trades

And SirGH is of course right, it's NOT the only taped show from Boston

The Loser In The End user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Loser In The End
Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...I'll respect every tapers wish...It has nothing to do with my own opinions, merley a form of tollerance. It's great to work with music and working with Queen music might even be greater.
Especially when it's high-end audience recording.
I'm not sure if I understand the reason for sharing in mp3...although I did a lot of remastering on recorings from a band called U2. We shared it only in 256 wma, to prevent it from being released by bootleggers on silvers.
However, not every bootleg label is intrested in a long term relationship with their customers so lossy silvers came to exist...
256 wma has a way of compressing that is hard to distinct from lossless in spectrum analysis because it compresses smoothly over the 6k to 22k range. Not as in mp3 which seem to just cut off anything above 16K (or 14K or 12K etc...depending on the bitrate). 256kb/s wma were also good for REAL gap-less burning with some programms (e.g. Nero 6)

Anyway, I spoke of respecting peoples wishes...even if I'm not sure whether I understand them but I sense that you are afraid of being bootlegged. That I can understand.
But I condemn lying. I can understand Sir GH his reluctance. First see (and hear) before we start cheering. To put this message of yours in the 'Sharing The Music - Announce' threat implies that you are willing to share... If you just want to tease us...you're playing with fire...
You might even risk the change of being 'not let in'...

Wisdom to you and honour to the ones who are bringing Queen music to the fans. True Queen fans are loyal for all their lives and very powerfull because of that.

"...she washed and fed and clothed and cared, for nearly twenty years..."
rschoorl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Times have certainly changed. When I taped the Boston '82 show, I proceeded to make copies for all my friends, then over the years I sent cassette copies all over the world to total strangers (but all Queen fans) who in good faith sent me tapes of shows that I didn't have. We all amassed collections and lists of hundreds of shows. It was organic, I made a ton of new friends, and that is the way it really ought to work. I know my show(s) have ended up being bootlegged and are not "rare" anymore, but who cares.....it is about sharing the music.
All this other stuff is just static. Get the music out there so that all can enjoy.

rschoorl
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

That said, I can't wait to hear Freddie wishing the Boston Fire Marshall a Merry Christmas... at the end of January.

LOL! I think this one is busted.

Rik&Roll user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R. wrote:

That said, I can't wait to hear Freddie wishing the Boston Fire Marshall a Merry Christmas... at the end of January.

That was my thought as well, when I read the 'correction' he made of the date. Lack of attention can make people do the strangest things....

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

August R. wrote:

I imagine this kind of situation:

"Hello Boston, Merry Christmas!"

"It's January, you fag!"

"Oh yes, of course, of course. Time flies when you have fun, ey?" "Had a nice Christmas?"

The whole audience: "NO! Now sing, you twat!"

"Oh, oh well, I got some cock, as always!"

Sorry, it's weekend.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a sad sad little man...

Arse.

cexycy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 241 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

james123 wrote:

I have digitally transferred a 1st generation tape of Queen that was taped from the audience in December 1975 at the Boston Music Hall. It has never been copied or distributed. I came across the master tape purely by accident – which had been missing for years. I gasped when I found the tape.

What makes this unique and valuable are 2 factors:

1) This is the only taped concert of Queen playing in Boston
2) Queen has always had a large fanbase in Boston, as Brian says himself from the stage during the show

I have already done all the technical legwork of transferring the master tape to digital and carefully editing it to a group of high-quality MP3s.

The original recording was done from the balcony with a reel-to-reel player, there also were also 2 high quality microphones used so there is a hint of “stereo effect”.

Overall, the sound quality I would describe as a high-end audience recording. This may be perhaps one of the best audience-based recordings to come to light.

Contains the full, per-usual Queen setlist from the 1975 US Tour. Freddie mentions “the Boston Fire Marshal – Merry Christmas to him” to prove the authenticity of this recording.

There is virtually no distortion despite the high sound pressure. There is some occasional nearby audience chatter and clapping, but it is not excessively intrusive at all. You also hear the good acoustics of the Boston Music Hall, and as Queen live sound mixes always pushed the low-end hard there is some “boominess”, but this was the reality of the live show and the equipment used.

Every song in the set is included in this possible submission of MP3s, the only thing that is missing is the first 2 minutes of “Sweet Lady” which opened the show, due to some last moment problems engaging the reel-to-reel. Everything else is there besides the usual lively banter from Freddie and Brian.

I await permission from the Queen online store at

http://www.7digital.com/stores/default.aspx?shop=14

to submit the group of MP3s - I will post here when/if they are released.

Keep tuned!

james / south of Boston

You don't need permission to share it as long as you're not making money out of it and the people who download it from you are on the understanding that they can't make money from it either.

The whole purpose of Queen Online selling bootlegs is to stop bootleggers making money from their recordings.

They have stated before that they do not mind if you share what you have already bought from them as opposed to other people buying from them. Probably because either way the illegal bootleggers don't get any money.

This is why many people have shared bootlegs on this site and there has been no word of complaint by anyone.

One more thing, please share in Flac, that way no quality will be lost or if you have to share in MP3, please offer both if possible.

You will be making many, many Queen fans very happy, I promise you.

Once upon a time a wise man told me a fable...........
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Almost a year ago, james123 already mentioned his Boston tape.

In the thread at http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=9&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen+Tour+2005&TOPIC_SUBJECT=Boston%2FWorcester+Queen+Fans+Unite!!&Q=676839&page=9
he says: "Actually I have a cassette tape somewhere of Queen at the Music Hall in Boston in '76. ..."

He never mentioned it again till now. That doesn't sound like a hoax, does it? And the "Christmas" lapse could be just bad memory.

So give him a chance, there might be a fantastic new Queen show for us fans!

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, would be wonderful ...
but all that effort for a final transfer to mp3?
hummmm ... let´s wait if this finally comes to light. And if so, will be an apreciated welcome

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 07, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

edit