Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > WWTLF - Organ sound question

forum rss feed
Author

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Oct 07, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My friends and I had recorded this for our WWRY show back in August, but unfortunately it wasn't used cause of our dumb audio guy. So, we decided to finish it and include it on our WWRY dvd.

We'd been recording this song in full for our WWRY show disc and getting the organ sound has stumped me. I know it's the DX7 that was used. And of course, I've seen the Wembley show where you can clearly see Brian play the keyboard. Heck, I even looked up the tribute concert to see him play it there too!
Now, I have the native instruments FM8 which has the fm7 (aka dx7) sounds. However, the closest I've come by tinkering tonight is with the trumpet sound. It's partly there, but is still missing certain tones.

To be honest, it's late (3am) and haven't tackled it well cause I'm real tired. But can anyone help put me on the right track with what I should be layering/editing to get close to the sound in question?

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's the "Syn Orch" preset. Note that the same sound is used in 'Magic' as well.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seb, you beautiful person, you!!!

At first, I realised it wasn't in the NI FM8 program's memory which was gutting. But I found a whole site full of patches and found the DX7 factory set!!

It sounds amazing to play it and hear it back. Such a wonderful feel, too. Very surprised. Hey, this synth had some great sounds, didn't it? I've been tweaking all afternoon and came nowhere near the factory sound.

Thanks very much, Seb. I hope that in a couple of weeks, I can share the cover with you.

Adam.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love those Fm7 and Fm8, but I don't think the modular section is very satisfactory

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't know really. I'm not a synth guy, ya see. Anyway, just been recording with it and it sounds great already.

Adam.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loooooooooooooooove the Fm7.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me too, it's so cool

Sebastian, do you happen to know some other presets Queen used (I don't think they made their own sounds very often :P)

For both the Dx7 and the Korg M1?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be interesting to find out about other sounds, true. I read on Seb's site that the DX7 was also utilised in TSMGO. Wonder where...

Adam.

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The bell sound in "WIAWI" is coming straight from the DX7 too without much processing. The preset is called "Stand Alone". I recorded it : http://www.starpix.net/sound/worthit.mp3

The same for "PISCTP", still from DX7 : http://www.starpix.net/sound/pisctp.mp3

@ Adam : Could you tell me DX7 site you are talking about ? Many thx !!

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK ! I've found it ! It was in the "Synths & Complex effects" bank. Wonderfull !!

Sebastian

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As sent to me by a visitor:

'The Miracle': Pizzagogo preset from a Roland D-50 for the intro

'Was It All Worth It' uses a D-50 too for the intro - Fantasia preset.

'Breakthru' has a D-50 as well: rock organ.

And of course there's the DX-7 e-piano in several songs.

Korg M1 Symphonic preset for most 'Innuendo' strings, Overture preset for the orchestra in the same song, preset 00 in 'Don't Try So Hard' and 23 in 'Slightly Mad'.

---

The 'Show' comment was made because Mike Crossley used a DX-7 in Rog's concerts for that one, and the sound was sort of close (or at least I thought so back then). Now, according to the person who sent me the previous data, the main pad on both this and 'Innuendo' could come from any analogue synth as well as M1 or D-50, although it was not a preset but very easy to programme.

And Adam, I'm looking forward to your version!

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice thread guys. Wish I could offer something, but you two are doing just fine.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw, here's a taster of how it sounds - http://www.mediafire.com/?bhdx4b4x0wg

Adam.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 10 May 08, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seb, need a wee bit of a hand with finding a sound again.

Myself and two other guys (from the WWRY show we did) are planning a viewing night of our show at the end of June. Now, I had an idea where we could warm up the crowd by playing 2-3 songs before the main event. In doing so, I recorded my brother playing drums (Excellent playing!) for "Save Me" yesterday.

Now, there's some kind of synth (Oberheim?) at 2:26 to 2:38 that plays very nicely in the background. Is this a preset or an original sound the band created. I've always loved that sound, but until now, never pursued it. Can you help identify it?

Thanks,
Adam.

P.s. sorry for not sharing WWTLF but due to certain details missing from it, I couldn't complete it. But, we're going back to get it done in time for our WWRY event next month. It will be shared. No doubt.

Sebastian

Posted: 10 May 08, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good question. I wish I still had the DTS files so I could hear it more isolated. Or more to the point, I wish multitracks leaked ;)

I don't know about OBX presets, there's very little info about it on the net or modern keyboard mags, compared with DX-7, JP-800 or M1, for obvious reasons.

But I doubt it's a preset. It's more like a (warm?) pad with some polymod, and maybe a bit of soundboard trickery. Mack surely had experience with that.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 10 May 08, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've downloaded the OP-X softsynth and will definitely mess about with it and other synths. Would be interesting to find something that fits from the OP-X software!

Adam.

BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 11 May 08, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[StArMaN] wrote:

The bell sound in "WIAWI" is coming straight from the DX7 too without much processing. The preset is called "Stand Alone". I recorded it : http://www.starpix.net/sound/worthit.mp3

The same for "PISCTP", still from DX7 : http://www.starpix.net/sound/pisctp.mp3

@ Adam : Could you tell me DX7 site you are talking about ? Many thx !!

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/html/dx7.html

that is the site where you can download thousands and thousands sound banks and original roms from the dx7.

i used them myself in Vsampler 2,75 but offcourse they will work in fm7 or fm8.

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 11 May 08, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant find the Vsampler2.75 does anyone know where i can download it?
thanks.

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 11 May 08, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Way to hijack the thread... This is about Queen synth use and how to recreate them.

Sebastian

Posted: 11 May 08, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any luck so far, Adam?