Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 39

forum rss feed
Author

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the song uses a capo or else you don't use standard tuning. How come brian doesn't seem to use either when playing...like 39 into love of my life same guitar.

Still can't get the intro to that song right. Anyone any advice on the intro?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The speed of the song was altered after recording the guitar. I think the reason was that they thought it was too slow and they wanted to speed it up just a little bit.

But when you speed up a tape, the pitch changes too. And therefor it sounds like it's played with a capo on the first.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 07, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Niek (or anybody else who's good with mixing), do you think you could remix it and share it in its original speed?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's nothing more than Brian tuning his guitar up a half step on the recording. His guitar is standard tuning live.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, it's sped up.

You know, good times are now.

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd certainly like to know where it is stated that the recording was sped up. It's stated in the ANATO Tab Songbook that the song is tuned up a half step.

GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was sped up so that the highest note Roger hits during the middle is the one Brian wanted, rather than the one Roger could do.

James

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually it was sung far to fast so they had to slow it down. It also used to be called 40.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I am saying from a recording engineer's point of view is that when a tape is sped up and slowed back down, you can tell the instrument or voice is not natural sounding. It tends to get that "chipmunk" effect. The guitar in that song sounds perfectly natural and does not sound sped up in either an audible or sonic sense. That's not Brian on the high notes either. Where are yo guys getting this information? If it's true, I'll shut my mouth but this is the first I've ever heard this. Please provide accurate and proven accounts. Thanks.

Sebastian

Posted: 11 Oct 07, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rotwang wrote:

All I am saying from a recording engineer's point of view is that when a tape is sped up and slowed back down, you can tell the instrument or voice is not natural sounding. It tends to get that "chipmunk" effect.

When it's just a semitone it doesn't get the "chimpunk" effect.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 12 Oct 07, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Rotwang wrote:

All I am saying from a recording engineer's point of view is that when a tape is sped up and slowed back down, you can tell the instrument or voice is not natural sounding. It tends to get that "chipmunk" effect.

OK, but how do you guys know this?

Take care

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Hey Niek (or anybody else who's good with mixing), do you think you could remix it and share it in its original speed?

Sure. I'll do it tomorrow. If I forget about it, please bump this topic back to the top :-)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Leaky Luke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 07, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bump :P

Micrówave wrote: I would prefer they release a concert of all four sitting at a table just talking about Queen without exerting any kind of energy. Well, maybe Fred can smoke
Freddie-B user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-B
Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 07, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Actually it was sung far to fast so they had to slow it down. It also used to be called 40. "

Genius!

Danne user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 07, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Rotwang wrote:

Actually, it does, although it's not as obvious. A good example is The Beatles 'When I'm 64', which is sped up a semitone. Which is noticable, if you listen to Paul's timbre.

Sebastian

Posted: 25 Oct 07, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, you can tell ... but it's not obvious, as you say. Thus, it's not "chimpunk".

Aric user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 07, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another sped up song is Caroline, No by Brian Wilson.

It's noticeable, but not obvious.

If I have time I'll drop '39 a semitone tonight and post it up for a listen.

Aric
Aric user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 07, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright, here's '39 dropped a semitone:
www.junglenoisestudio.com/songs/39retuned.mp3

Now that I've heard it, I suspect the vocals are NOT sped up, but rather just the instrumental track.

You can hear in this version that the vocals seem wierd, they definitely sound 'slowed down'. Which supports the assertion that the song either was a)not sped up or b)sped up before the vocals were recorded.

Given that it's just easier to play in the key of G than G# on the guitar, I'd venture it was the latter.

Please note, this was done on my computer digitally, which is why there is significant distortion and artifact in the 'retuned' version.

Aric