Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > ANNOUNCE: London 31.03.1974 FLAC - PRE LP

forum rss feed
Author

Mean Mr. Ketchup user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mean Mr. Ketchup
Bohemian: 234 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen
London, UK
31st March, 1974

I am sharing this as a thank you to all those people who have helped me to pad out my own collection (you know who you are), and I offer something that even some traders with a pretty big colection may not have...

Here we have the March show from the Rainbow Theatre in London, 1974. This is the Rare pre LP version, I recently aquired it in a trade (thanks again!) and decided to share it around. This is a fantastic upgrade to the LP source, the most complete version and the quality is EX! Enjoy...

Rainbow Theatre, London, UK - 31st March 1974 (Pre LP)
Quality: EX
Setlist:

1. Procession (1.09)
2. Father To Son (5.52)
3. Ogre Battle (4.59)
4. Son And Daughter (7.30)
5. Keep Yourself Alive (4.12)
6. Seven Seas Of Rhye (2.59)
7. Modern Times Rock'n'Roll (2.47)
8. Liar (7.38)

You have permission to convert to lossy formats but only for your own personal use. Distribute these files only in lossless quality!

Parts 1-3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6l1ksy9i0m4
http://www.mediafire.com/?0y1m2z0zrcy
http://www.mediafire.com/?f3th0dnvjjx

"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not the master tape. Someone along the line made up that story... so I definitely suggest you rename this topic from "mastertape" to "pre-LP", because that's definitely what it is. We don't want everyone thinking it's the master tape, because you know how people just uncritically download without thinking about these things for themselves. A community is judged by how critical they are of these things. Here, people would say "Oh wow, the master!". At a Zeppelin site, everyone will be asking, "Where was the master tape? How did you get it? How much did it cost?," etc. etc., and there would be an open discussion. Here... not so much.

This tape originally came from a cassette tape that an American collector acquired in 1980. It seems it is exactly the tape that was used for all of the LPs. I was the first one to get it, and was thrilled at how good the quality was!

Someone filled in a few small gaps with an LP source, but I smoothed out the edits... and that exact version was bootlegged as "Majestic Rock" by Wardour. So, *someone* we know sent it to them, because it wasn't shared anywhere online that I know of.

But I'm glad you shared it... this is one of the best documents of Queen "live", and I say that in quotations since there are plenty of vocal overdubs on it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great, thanks! This one shurely beats my "Sheetkickers" version.
I always loved this recording, even it's incomplete, it's a true adrenaline fueled tour-de-force! Very raw and high energy -Brians guitar never sounded so agressive and heavy as on this recording. Wasn't it supposed to be an "official" live album?

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

It's not the master tape. Someone along the line made up that story... so I definitely suggest you rename this topic from "mastertape" to "pre-LP", because that's definitely what it is. This tape originally came from a cassette tape that an American collector acquired in 1980. It is exactly the tape that was used for all of the LPs and subsequent silvers. I was the first one to get it, and was thrilled at how good the quality was!

A few small gaps were filled an LP source, but I smoothed out the edits... and that exact version was bootlegged as "Majestic Rock" by Wardour. So, *someone* we know sent it to them, because it wasn't shared anywhere online that I know of.

But I'm glad you shared it... this is one of the best documents of Queen "live", even though there are plenty of vocal overdubs on it.

WTF - Wardour bootlegged you bootleg ???

Mean Mr. Ketchup

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not the master tape. Someone along the line made up that story... so I definitely suggest you rename this topic from "mastertape" to "pre-LP", because that's definitely what it is. This tape originally came from a cassette tape that an American collector acquired in 1980. It is exactly the tape that was used for all of the LPs and subsequent silvers. I was the first one to get it, and was thrilled at how good the quality was!

A few small gaps were filled an LP source, but I smoothed out the edits... and that exact version was bootlegged as "Majestic Rock" by Wardour. So, *someone* we know sent it to them, because it wasn't shared anywhere online that I know of.

But I'm glad you shared it... this is one of the best documents of Queen "live", even though there are plenty of vocal overdubs on it.

Thanks for the info, I've edited the post.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Essentially, yes. But mine technically wasn't a bootleg. It was a RoIO... it's not a bootleg until a company presses it for sale.

MeanMrKetchup <br><h6>formerly Pred</h6> wrote:

Thanks for the info, I've edited the post.

No prob!

Gahhh... you both quoted my post before I edited it!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Money money money...

labels pay big money for recordings.

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not the master tape. Someone along the line made up that story... so I definitely suggest you rename this topic from "mastertape" to "pre-LP", because that's definitely what it is. We don't want everyone thinking it's the master tape, because you know how people just uncritically download without thinking about these things for themselves. A community is judged by how critical they are of these things. Here, people would say "Oh wow, the master!". At a Zeppelin site, everyone will be asking, "Where was the master tape? How did you get it? How much did it cost?," etc. etc., and there would be an open discussion. Here... not so much.

Fully agree on your points here Bob. This isn't from the master tape (wich is in the pocession queen productions obviously).

is there anyone out here who knows the generation of the tape? Could it be possible that what we have here is a first generation copy of the mastertape?

(Just want to make the lineage notes in my list as accurate as possible)

Cheers,
Dennis

The Real Wizard

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope, it's impossible to know...

The guy I got it from had it as an unmarked gen... and like I said, that was 27 years ago!

gb_master user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One day we'll have the mastertape too hopefully...
But now I really enjoy this release...
Thanks

tassilo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1660 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much, the sound is great!

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope, it's impossible to know...

The guy I got it from had it as an unmarked gen... and like I said, that was 27 years ago!

True,

Exact lineage or not, it's still a fantastic upgrade to the LP version we all had for years!

aristides user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But I'm glad you shared it... this is one of the best documents of Queen "live", and I say that in quotations since there are plenty of vocal overdubs on it.

What overdubs are you talking about ?
This tape is a raw mixing desk recording or a remaster for an official release ?

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristides wrote:

What overdubs are you talking about ?
This tape is a raw mixing desk recording or a remaster for an official release ?

please.... not this discussion again. We all know this recording is heavily overdubbed.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 07, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am "glad" to know the vocals are overdubbed. I was listening to this wonderful recording (THANKS!) and thinking exactly that:

"Wow, the band is awesome this night, but it seems that Freddie is just not there with them."

His voice sounds softer on Father to Son, which sounded weird to me. Now I think I know why: it might be one of those overdubs, is it?

Incredible band performance, though. Is it also overdubbed? I hope not!

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristides wrote:

I'm definitely convinced that this show was intended to be an official release. This is two perfect sides of vinyl. It's 37 minutes, there are edits between songs, and there are vocal overdubs (and perhaps musical overdubs too).

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira wrote:

Incredible band performance, though. Is it also overdubbed? I hope not!

It's pretty much impossible to tell.. !

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Talk to Sikke, he claims he's got the complete show.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Mean Mr. Ketchup

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristides wrote:

I'm definitely convinced that this show was intended to be an official release. This is two perfect sides of vinyl. It's 37 minutes, there are edits between songs, and there are vocal overdubs (and perhaps musical overdubs too).

In a way I think it's a shame that they overdubbed their live material, id rather heard Queen live how they really were..

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Talk to Sikke, he claims he's got the complete show.

Yeah, he claims a lot of things... and I don't believe a word of them. We've never once heard any kind of a sample of his outrageous claims (and of course by sheer coincidence he's horrible at replying to emails), so until then, it's guilty until proven innocent in my books.

Hippolyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing.