Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Seven Seas Of Rhye - Top Of The Pops 1974

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is one of the three performances of Seven Seas Of Rhye on BBC's Top Of The Pops in 1974.
Originally transferred by Rien (http://www.mercuryparadise.com/) from a VHS sent to him by an Argentinian collector (thanks for the share).
Date is unknown, so if anybody has some info to add, feel free to contribute.
Download link : http://www.mediafire.com/?8zch9tvtl4b
Enjoy :-)
A second version has been added here :
http://rapidshare.com/files/63004127/Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye_TOTP2-3.mpg

boffy user not visiting Queenzone.com
boffy
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Pittrek! I didn't know there were three, I've only seen the two on YouTube*. I read somewhere that one's actually from a Dutch program called "Top Pops".

EDIT: I wrote that whilst downloading it. This version is actually a mix of the two I've seen, but either filmed from the screen or deliberately filtered blue and high contrast. Thanks anyway though, what're the other two you have like?

* http://youtube.com/watch?v=DDb2ziPQSTA

pittrek

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, 15 downloads and 1 reply ? A really GREAT motivation to upload other things.

And now to the answer - I'm writing this from a computer where youtube is blocked, so I can't check the link you've posted.
But the second video I have is a combination of 2 performances, the first one is (I think) identical to the one I posted, but it's black and white, and in the end it's colour. The second performance is a live performance before an audience overdubbed with the album version of the song, if I remember correctly it was also B&W. I don't know where I have the second video, I have aprox. 150 unlabelled CDs full of Queen mp3s and vids, so it takes some time to find something there :-)

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

This is one of the three performances of Seven Seas Of Rhye on BBC's Top Of The Pops in 1974.
Date is unknown, so if anybody has some info to add, feel free to contribute.
Download link : http://www.mediafire.com/?8zch9tvtl4b
Enjoy :-)

First of all, thanks for uploading this. Secondly, the best person to ask about the origins of this recording is Rien ( www.mercuryparadise.com ) as he uploaded this a long while back to here and on his site. From memory, this wasnt from Top Of The Pops but instead the Dutch version of that show (Top Pop I think it was called). He uploaded two versions of the same clip the first being the colourwashed version and then the second one which was converted to black and white (as shown in the youtube link). The clip you have uploaded is the same one but with a blue tint matched to the audio of the album version.

Hope that helps...

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
boffy

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the Youtube video is the two versions Pittrek describes, one after the other. Thanks for uploading, and please keep searching!

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Wow, 15 downloads and 1 reply ? A really GREAT motivation to upload other things.

I just downloaded to check if it was the same version I've already had. I had it already, but thanks for uploading it anyway!

pittrek wrote:

But the second video I have is a combination of 2 performances, the first one is (I think) identical to the one I posted, but it's black and white, and in the end it's colour. The second performance is a live performance before an audience overdubbed with the album version of the song, if I remember correctly it was also B&W.

The second one is a compilation of two sources, one including some colour. It's available in the queenhub and on the youtube link posted in this thread.

pittrek

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info guys, I have the videos for a long time without any info.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as I know Queen never performed Seven Seas of Rhye on the Dutch TV show Top Pop. They did do Killer Queen in November 1974, but that's it.

pittrek

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

As far as I know Queen never performed Seven Seas of Rhye on the Dutch TV show Top Pop. They did do Killer Queen in November 1974, but that's it.

Are you talking about this show ?
http://www.webalice.it/pikkololuca/vcd/totp/1974%20Killer%20Queen/Killerqueen2.jpg

boffy

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's interesting, is the video of Killer Queen on Top Pop available? I've only seen the well-known TOTP performance.

The two versions of SSOR in the YouTube video seem to be from different programs: One is in a plain studio with no audience, the other has an audience and Roger is in front of a big symbol or set piece.

It resembles, but doesn't seem to be, the NBC logo. Does anyone recognise this logo or know for sure where either video is from? I've attached a screenshot from YouTube.

Attachment: nbc-like_symbol.jpg 11 KB
This has been downloaded 118 time(s).

pittrek

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boffy wrote:

That's interesting, is the video of Killer Queen on Top Pop available? I've only seen the well-known TOTP performance.

I'll upload it in the next few days

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boffy wrote:

The two versions of SSOR in the YouTube video seem to be from different programs: One is in a plain studio with no audience, the other has an audience and Roger is in front of a big symbol or set piece.

It resembles, but doesn't seem to be, the NBC logo. Does anyone recognise this logo or know for sure where either video is from? I've attached a screenshot from YouTube.

old totp logo

boffy

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I'll upload it in the next few days

Thanks again, Pittrek.

Ducksoup wrote:

old totp logo

Cheers, Duck Soup. (I wonder if ANATO would've sold as well if they'd named it after that Marx bros. film instead.)

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double post

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boffy wrote:

Cheers, Duck Soup. (I wonder if ANATO would've sold as well if they'd named it after that Marx bros. film instead.)

:-)

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Pim Derks wrote:

Are you talking about this show ?
http://www.webalice.it/pikkololuca/vcd/totp/1974%20Killer%20Queen/Killerqueen2.jpg

Yeah, that's the Top Pop scenery.

tassilo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1660 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks!

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all, thanks to Mr Mercury for recalling me as the source of the TOTP video of SSOR.
A long while ago I discovered I had this video on a VHS tape that was sent to me by mail by a Queenfan from Argentina. He sent me this tape years and years ago.
When I found out I had this on VHS I quickly transferred it to my pc and made it available for download. Something I first regretted because I did not put my "signature" on it (to claim I was the source). Why? Because when you put something on the Internet it belongs to everyone.
I did it because I want to share (not trade or sell). Once out on the Internet you'll find out that others offer this clip as if they are the source. This is just the way it is. Full stop.

(I also provided another version of this same video but then transferred completely to black&white (on request from a Queenzoner) so there were less white spots and lines in the video.

Back then I even contacted Greg Brooks and he called me up and told me he would like to have this video. Now it was already available through my site I did not mail him a cd with the clip. About a year later or so I talked to him in person on a Dutch Queen meeting about this video.

If I recall correctly the "blue" version that is shared here in this post is part of the video I made available, but obviously with the blue coloured effect AND overdubbed with the original (single) audio track to have better sound. Both done by another Queenzoner.

And last but not least, Pim is correct (he often is!). Queen did not perform SSOR on the Dutch Top Pop, that indeed was Killer Queen.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
boffy

Posted: 14 Oct 07, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rien, you have all the answers! Thanks for sharing, and for enlightening.

Do you still have the original physical tape then? How did you digitise it? Wouldn't Queen Productions(or anyone with swanky professional equipment) be able to possibly recover more of the original quality and colour?

pittrek

Posted: 15 Oct 07, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rien, thanks a lot for the info. I actually have this from a collector, not internet, so it's very interesting to know who was the original source. So thank you again for sharing it and for NOT watermarking it :) And yes, you are right, this is the "blue" clip with overdubbed audio.