Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Yeah, Okay, I'm a Freddie Loving Lunatic.

forum rss feed
Author

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is that so WRONG? Really? I've noticed some...hostility toward the Freddie loving crowd. Is it justified? Could be, I suppose. I know I am likely the archetypal annoying Freddie fan. I am middle aged. I didn't fully appreciate Queen until after Freddie had left us.

What is really happening here? Wish I knew. I've always loved Queen. Always thought Brian May was an amazing guitar player...afreakingmazing...always have been enchanted with the song writing of each of them, and, always wowed by Freddie's vocals.

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...

I don't want to marry Freddie...he's dead, and, well, were he alive...my chances would not go up any. I don't have any posters on my wall, nor, a lunchbox. I don't wear harlequin leotards.

I HAVE amassed a good sized DVD collection. I DO cruise Youtube a bit more enthusiastically than most folks in their mid forties...and, I do get defensive of, "My Freddie," when I hear him put down, or, god forbid, someone suggest that another singer does Queen as well as Freddie.

So, I am aware that this could be mildly annoying, however, it seems as if there are some folks who get EXTREMELY annoyed, as if, by GREATLY appreciating a dead singer, I am somehow doing GRAVE harm to these folks.

And, I am relatively new to QZ, so, could be that there is a pink elephant in the room that I just haven't seen.


It is all random
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I get annoyed by people like that. However, it's only when 'those' people put down the rest of the band by saying "Freddie was and still is Queen."


"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Barbie Jupiter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dusta, i understand you, though it's weird and kinda crazy(maybe, not fair, and not objective to the singers), but i get annoyed when someone suggests another singer can sing as Freddie. too. Even if they do.. maybe we shouldn't worry, cuz, no one ever will be capable to replace Frederick, and it's very nice if someone can provide a high-qualified performance of those songs.. I just mean, that, Queen was Freddie's life, dream, choice and eager, that wasn't random, and he SUCCEEDED, and this is the miracle and greatness of it.
Wahhh... this is stupidXD Dusta, relax, no one will ever replace Freddie and people will always remember him hearing those songs, even in same or better qualityof singing.

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You said all this so betutiful, just perfect :D


Barbie Jupiter wrote:

Dusta, i understand you, though it's weird and kinda crazy(maybe, not fair, and not objective to the singers), but i get annoyed when someone suggests another singer can sing as Freddie. too. Even if they do.. maybe we shouldn't worry, cuz, no one ever will be capable to replace Frederick, and it's very nice if someone can provide a high-qualified performance of those songs.. I just mean, that, Queen was Freddie's life, dream, choice and eager, that wasn't random, and he SUCCEEDED, and this is the miracle and greatness of it.
Wahhh... this is stupidXD Dusta, relax, no one will ever replace Freddie and people will always remember him hearing those songs, even in same or better qualityof singing.



I'm sick of all my kicks.
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dusta wrote:

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...


I share that embarassing period - when I imagined myself married to Eric.

:)



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah...for me, it was Les, though, it was a secret, as, my friend was going to marry Les. Publically, you know, I was going to marry Woody.

:D


I will say, however, that I NEVER wore short pants with tartan cuffs and striped socks, and, I most decidely never sported a tuftie. I retained SOME dignity...which I later lost in the early eighties in ways I dare not mention, here.

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Dusta wrote:

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...


I share that embarassing period - when I imagined myself married to Eric.

:)



It is all random
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah...for me, it was Les, though, it was a secret, as, my friend was going to marry Les. Publically, you know, I was going to marry Woody.

:D


I will say, however, that I NEVER wore short pants with tartan cuffs and striped socks, and, I most decidely never sported a tuftie. I retained SOME dignity...which I later lost in the early eighties in ways I dare not mention, here.

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Dusta wrote:

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...


I share that embarassing period - when I imagined myself married to Eric.

:)



It is all random
Farrokh Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Farrokh Mercury
Bohemian: 212 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Freddie Loving Lunitic?

-Grins and extends hand-

Welcome to the club...


Shooting stars never stop, even when they reach the top.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Serry...wrote:[/QUOTENAME]I was more curious about - which font Freddie used for his thoughts? Arial? Verdana? Or Wingdings'
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 07, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you!

Here is a thought: One can be a Freddie loving lunatic, without disprespecting the remaining band members!
Before the lunacy began, I was a Queen fan. I'm not certain when this...Freddie thing started, nor, why, really. I don't believe that Freddie WAS Queen. I believe that Brian, John, Roger and Freddie were Queen. I even feel that Brian was the most consistant song writer, and, somewhat underrated as such.
So, it seems that one can be a Freddie lunatic, and, still a Queen fan.

<font face=symbol>Farrokh Mercury wrote:

A Freddie Loving Lunitic?

-Grins and extends hand-

Welcome to the club...



It is all random
saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dusta, loved your post, honest and funny. You've broken down the barriers for others, such as me: "I'm saltnvinegar and I'm a Freddieholic'-there, I said it!
I get that same hostility vibe. It's like you have to constantly acknowledge the other three before you say something in particular about Freddie.
I know another Queen fan, he's obsessed with Brian, but for some reason it's ok for him to gush over the Curly one however if you admit to a Freddie preference, you get the eye-roll and a 'typical, you only like *him*, not the band' Ah, well, you can't please everyone can you?

Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie loving lunatics do not bother me at all. Freddie was a fantastically talented individual and a lovely person, judging by the many loyal friends he had. It is no wonder he has such a strong and devoted following. It does bother me that SOME people think that Freddie WAS Queen, but most fans know that Queen consisted of four very talented individuals and realize each one’s importance to the overall performance of the band.

I love each of the members of the band, but like most people, I have my favorite(s). My favorite happens to be Brian. I think it is because I relate to him most; his songs speak to me in a personal way. But I find things to love about the other members as well.

What really gripes me is when SOME fans seem to feel the need to put Brian down to elevate Freddie. I cannot understand why they do that. But that seems to happen with other bands too; like the Beatles—some fans feel the need to vilify Paul and deify John.

So Dusta, I find nothing wrong at all with you, or anyone else, being a Freddie loving lunatic. I also admire Freddie greatly, miss him and wish he were still with us. And I value you as a fellow lover of the band Queen and as a fellow member of Queenzone.




We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't seen this, but, had I, I would find it surprising, as well. Existing evidence would seem to point to the fact that Freddie was one of Brian's biggest fans, so, I can't think that he would have appreciated his fans putting Brian down.

Good_Company50 wrote:


What really gripes me is when SOME fans seem to feel the need to put Brian down to elevate Freddie. I cannot understand why they do that. But that seems to happen with other bands too; like the Beatles—some fans feel the need to vilify Paul and deify John.




It is all random
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I agree that this rather extreme, and, puzzling.

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

I get annoyed by people like that. However, it's only when 'those' people put down the rest of the band by saying "Freddie was and still is Queen."



It is all random
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you! I am happy to have discovered this place. I have learned so much, and, it is nice to talk about Queen without someone getting that glazed look in their eye...can't see eyes, here.

Good_Company50 wrote:

Freddie loving lunatics do not bother me at all. Freddie was a fantastically talented individual and a lovely person, judging by the many loyal friends he had. It is no wonder he has such a strong and devoted following. It does bother me that SOME people think that Freddie WAS Queen, but most fans know that Queen consisted of four very talented individuals and realize each one’s importance to the overall performance of the band.

I love each of the members of the band, but like most people, I have my favorite(s). My favorite happens to be Brian. I think it is because I relate to him most; his songs speak to me in a personal way. But I find things to love about the other members as well.

What really gripes me is when SOME fans seem to feel the need to put Brian down to elevate Freddie. I cannot understand why they do that. But that seems to happen with other bands too; like the Beatles—some fans feel the need to vilify Paul and deify John.

So Dusta, I find nothing wrong at all with you, or anyone else, being a Freddie loving lunatic. I also admire Freddie greatly, miss him and wish he were still with us. And I value you as a fellow lover of the band Queen and as a fellow member of Queenzone.




It is all random
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 07, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, dear! Yeah, The Curly One gushers seem to be viewed as being a bit more...hip, or, something. I've done my share of gushing over Brian, to be certain, however, Brian is alive and well, and, enjoying the fruits of his labor, so, I suppose he doesn't break my heart in the same way that Freddie does. There's more, of course, that I won't go into, as it has been said a million times before, by a million other Freddie lovers. Suffice it to say that Freddie's voice(except in Made In Heaven--not, in my opinion, one of his better vocal performances) makes me happy!

saltnvinegar wrote:

Dusta, loved your post, honest and funny. You've broken down the barriers for others, such as me: "I'm saltnvinegar and I'm a Freddieholic'-there, I said it!
I get that same hostility vibe. It's like you have to constantly acknowledge the other three before you say something in particular about Freddie.
I know another Queen fan, he's obsessed with Brian, but for some reason it's ok for him to gush over the Curly one however if you admit to a Freddie preference, you get the eye-roll and a 'typical, you only like *him*, not the band' Ah, well, you can't please everyone can you?



It is all random
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 07, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dusta wrote:

Is that so WRONG? Really? I've noticed some...hostility toward the Freddie loving crowd. Is it justified? Could be, I suppose. I know I am likely the archetypal annoying Freddie fan. I am middle aged. I didn't fully appreciate Queen until after Freddie had left us.

What is really happening here? Wish I knew. I've always loved Queen. Always thought Brian May was an amazing guitar player...afreakingmazing...always have been enchanted with the song writing of each of them, and, always wowed by Freddie's vocals.

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...

I don't want to marry Freddie...he's dead, and, well, were he alive...my chances would not go up any. I don't have any posters on my wall, nor, a lunchbox. I don't wear harlequin leotards.

I HAVE amassed a good sized DVD collection. I DO cruise Youtube a bit more enthusiastically than most folks in their mid forties...and, I do get defensive of, "My Freddie," when I hear him put down, or, god forbid, someone suggest that another singer does Queen as well as Freddie.

So, I am aware that this could be mildly annoying, however, it seems as if there are some folks who get EXTREMELY annoyed, as if, by GREATLY appreciating a dead singer, I am somehow doing GRAVE harm to these folks.

And, I am relatively new to QZ, so, could be that there is a pink elephant in the room that I just haven't seen.


Fuck the people who get annoyed by you liking freddie so much, they are fake fans, garbage people, dont care about them coz they dont know shit.

Freddie was/is the best musician,singer,frontman of all time and that will remain forever, its impossible to be as good as him.


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 07, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do agree that Freddie's voice is almost magical...and, what a character he was!
I just don't get the hostility, really. Is it because some believe that Freddie was difficult to work with? Roger has said that Freddie was actually a JOY to work with, and, not at all what the perception has been.

I appreciate everyone that has the time to respond here. Very interesting to hear the point of view, here.

Treasure Moment wrote:

Dusta wrote:

Is that so WRONG? Really? I've noticed some...hostility toward the Freddie loving crowd. Is it justified? Could be, I suppose. I know I am likely the archetypal annoying Freddie fan. I am middle aged. I didn't fully appreciate Queen until after Freddie had left us.

What is really happening here? Wish I knew. I've always loved Queen. Always thought Brian May was an amazing guitar player...afreakingmazing...always have been enchanted with the song writing of each of them, and, always wowed by Freddie's vocals.

It is just that, recently, I have become obsessed, in a fangirl sort of way...in a way that is, alarmingly, reminiscent of a brief, and, embarassing, period during the middle seventies whereby I was certain I would marry one of the Bay City Rollers...

I don't want to marry Freddie...he's dead, and, well, were he alive...my chances would not go up any. I don't have any posters on my wall, nor, a lunchbox. I don't wear harlequin leotards.

I HAVE amassed a good sized DVD collection. I DO cruise Youtube a bit more enthusiastically than most folks in their mid forties...and, I do get defensive of, "My Freddie," when I hear him put down, or, god forbid, someone suggest that another singer does Queen as well as Freddie.

So, I am aware that this could be mildly annoying, however, it seems as if there are some folks who get EXTREMELY annoyed, as if, by GREATLY appreciating a dead singer, I am somehow doing GRAVE harm to these folks.

And, I am relatively new to QZ, so, could be that there is a pink elephant in the room that I just haven't seen.


Fuck the people who get annoyed by you liking freddie so much, they are fake fans, garbage people, dont care about them coz they dont know shit.

Freddie was/is the best musician,singer,frontman of all time and that will remain forever, its impossible to be as good as him.



It is all random