forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks, Italian Queen fan Andrea (Skizzo on QZ and elsewhere) had the chance to ask Morgan Fisher a couple of questions and wrote up the answers for the forum of www.Queenitalia.it:

Q: Where, when and how did you first meet Queen?

A: Probably when they joined the Mott the Hoople UK tour in '74. I had already met Brian and Freddie before that. Brian came to see my Morgan band play at the Marquee Club a few times in '72/'73. Tim Staffell introduced me to Freddie at his home, as "the new singer in Smile."

Q: You worked with Mott from '73 to '80 and Queen, in the early years, Queen was one of your support-bands. Did you see them performing in that period? What do you remember?

A: I was with Mott from '73 to '77. Of course I saw Queen play on our UK/US tours. They were enormously energetic, almost frantic. And their clothes became more and more outrageous. Brian's guitar playing was unique - very impressive. They were trying to make it more than anyone else I had seen. And as we all know - they did.

Q: How good were they, in your opinion?

A: Well at that time I was completely into rock as we played it in Mott. We were already successful so we could lay back sometimes and not try to impress all the time. By contrast, Queen seemed desperate to make it, and sometimes I felt that they were trying too hard. But we didn't feel any rivalry because they were quite different to us.

Q: Can you tell us any anecdotes of that period?

A: Freddie was so hung over one morning on the US tour, that in the hotel cafe he fell forward with his face in his fried eggs - and stayed there!

Q: There's an old story about Queen and Aerosmith in 1974. What do you remember about it?
( look this: http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/live/105/01.05.1974+-+Concert:+Queen+in+Farm+Arena,+Harrisburg,+Pennsylvania,+USA/ )

A: Don't remember that - but then I drank a lot in those days too! I can't remember Brian drinking heavily, he always seemed such a gentleman.

Q: During the Morgan Band period one of your members was Tim Staffel: has he ever told you anything about his ex-band Smile and the new band, Queen, born just after he decided to leave Smile?

A: No he didn't say much about Smile. Perhaps he didn't feel good about leaving them - who knows? Many years after being in my Morgan band he said in an interview that he wished we had been playing R'n'B instead of progressive rock, which surprised me - he was so good at it!

Q: Who asked you to work with Queen in the Hot Space tour?

A: Brian sent me a telegram, when I was living in Brussels. I had decided to get back into music after a couple of years' break, and had written to several friends (including Brian) asking if they knew of any work I could do. I never expected to receive such a big offer!

Q: What were the band's indications about how to play their songs?

A: Very little. They just sent me all their albums and a list of songs for me to learn. I figured them out by myself, did the audition in Los Angeles (they had also asked Roger Powell to audition), got the job, then rehearsed with them for two weeks in Coppola's Zoetrope Studios in Hollywood. During one of the quieter songs Brian ran over to me and yelled "play more beautifully!" That's all I can remember!

Q: What kind of keyboard did you play in their concerts?

A: A grand piano and an Oberheim synthesizer.

Q: What do you remember about the two months you spent with Queen? Any anecdotes?

A: Freddie travelled with his boyfriend. At nearly every after-show meal he would insist that Freddie stopped smoking. Freddie would always tell him loudly to "shutup and leave me alone!"

During one of Brian's long guitar solos (when the rest of the band would go and sit in a little backstage tent) Freddie looked really bored, then raised his eyes to the ceiling and said "Ohhh, let's go shopping!"

After I had been on the tour for a while, the ban

I do not want any google ads here.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like Morgan still doesn't get it. It wasn't just about being a decent keyboardist, he obviously didn't fit in in '82 and he sounds a little bitter about receiving a telegram termination.

He can directly quote Freddie to his "boyfriend" but doesn't remember a fully drunk Brian May at all? Hmmmmm.......

Thanks for posting, though.

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you YV VERY MUCH ! This is the type of posts which was the reason why I joined Queenzone

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was quite enlightening. Thanks!

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Rami user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 916 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting indeed. Thank you!

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Sounds like Morgan still doesn't get it. It wasn't just about being a decent keyboardist, he obviously didn't fit in in '82 and he sounds a little bitter about receiving a telegram termination.

He can directly quote Freddie to his "boyfriend" but doesn't remember a fully drunk Brian May at all? Hmmmmm.......

Thanks for posting, though.

Remembering 1982 when you were fairly sober, versus remembering 1974 when you were a raging drunk are two very different things....being fired via telegram is probably the same today as being fired via e-mail - just a bad way to do business. A phone call would suffice.

Great interview, great find!!

Thanks!

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, it was very interesting.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for this. Interesting to hear his side of the story.

AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many thanks to Skizzo, YourValentine and all the people at QueenItalia involved in this, it was very interesting.

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 733 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the two Morgan albums on CD, and there definitely interesting -- one of them has a note from Brian! Tin's singing is really beautiful and in the moment--I would side with Morgan on that score. Their version of Earth is really great.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 07, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was entertaining. Love reading something new all the time.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 07, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh wow, this guy played with Queen?

I know he was in Mott the Hoople who toured with them.

Here is a collection of 8mm film reels he made back on tour in 1974.
It has a shot of a record store with Queen II posters all over it, and he even mentions that other singer who generates controversy here..lol.
Did Queen open for them on this US tour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkVppBawko

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 07, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh wow, this guy played with Queen?

I know he was in Mott the Hoople who toured with them.

Here is a collection of 8mm film reels he made back on tour in 1974.
It has a shot of a record store with Queen II posters all over it, and he even mentions that other singer who generates controversy here..lol.
Did Queen open for them on this US tour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkVppBawko

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 07, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's an amazing video, thanks for posting it. He does not even mention Queen but it's very interesting to listen to Morgan's stories. Yes, Queen supported Mott in 1974 and Morgan played with Queen in 1982, you can see him on the Milton Keynes DVD. Freddie introduced him before CLTCL making fun of his pink outfit.

I do not want any google ads here.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 07, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's strange because when I contacted him a couple of years ago asking if he would do a Q&A for Queen Archives he was less than interested in talking about Queen. He gave the indication that he would have nothing good to say about them.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 07, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess no one is interested in Mott The Hoople anymore :D

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mott the Who?

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

During one of Brian's long guitar solos (when the rest of the band would go and sit in a little backstage tent) Freddie looked really bored, then raised his eyes to the ceiling and said "Ohhh, let's go shopping!"

After I had been on the tour for a while, the band and road crew all knew that I was involved in Indian spirituality and meditation. One night when I came on stage, I saw that one of the crew had written in chalk, on the floor by my stool, a big arrow pointing left, and the word "EAST!"

Those two anecdotes made me laugh really loudly here! :D

Thanks, YV!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!