forum rss feed
Author

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just bought the dvd today, and well, it's what I expected. Nothing really fancy. Great show, and perfect sound and image, but the setlist is getting really old.. Bonus disc is pretty ok in the sence that having a nice official DVD with the full Live Aid performance and some additional footage to that is pretty cool. The rest has been said before. imho almost the worst choices Queen Productions Ltd have ever made concerning a DVD release.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's quite well packaged, the design doesn't look as bad in real life as it did on screen. Still, it's no Greatest Hits 3 or Made in Heaven.

Contentwise: I'm glad I have Live Aid on DVD now. The audio-commentary is nice too (nothing really new, but nice all the same). All in all I'd say it's worth the 22 euros I paid for it, but just barely.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bought the DVD yesterday! I liked the Montreal concert and audiocommentary by Brian and Roger. Amazing sound and picture.Also the live aid rehearsal was nice!!

But...What a fucking ugly cover..... Have they done this in WINDOWS PAINT?? Must be because Richard Gray didn't do the design like the Wembley DVD and Milton Keynes DVD and because Eagles Vision is involved with this project.
Also a very basis disc 2. My old videotape with the live aid interview is better quality, the PM footage is shit and looked awful. Where the hell is GB compiling this footage from??!!! You must think some old betamax tapes from 30 years back. There is so many stuff available on tape at the archives of TV stations in EXCELLENT quality, but it looks like QP won't like to spent 1 dollar for buying stuff.Think of the SNL performance we saw at ABC two years ago. Millions and millions and millions are owned by the guys from Queen and QP and this quality on a commercial selling DVD??? What a total shame!

There was a interview with Brian held after the Live Aid performance next day. There were interviews with Brian and Roger just before the show. Where is the picture gallery on the DVD?

About the Montreal concert. It looks like the same concert as all others. No changes in songs they picked from the first or second night.
Jailhouse Rock is even at the wrong spot. This is totally stupid!!
Brian said on his website there were some nice new bits between the songs that were cut out in the old DVD and video. Where are those?? The only thing I saw was the beginning of Now I'm Here which they added for the first time on this DVD.

I would rate the first DVD with a SEVEN and the second with a FIVE.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 07, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The beginning of NIH isn't the real footage, anyway. They just took footage from the beginning of the show (from when the stage initially lights up). It seems they're playing it forwards and then quickly backwards, to make it look like the lights are going on and off again. Very cleverly done.

In the end, the only reason it's there is because the audio was available.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 07, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How is the quality of Live Aid compared to the previous DVD-box ? Have they done something to make "Is this the world..." sounds better ?

mick82 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 07, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello...

This is one of my long-time doubts about Queen.

When I was a teenager I watched the "We will rock you" VHS and had the sensation some bits by Freddie had been overdubbed in a studio, or altered someway, cause in NO other concert I saw him reach some of those high notes.

Now, from a quick look at the DVD I see that some of those notes have changed back to something more "common" in his live performances (just like the "many a tear lives on in my eye" word in Now I'm Here that's been posted on Youtube). Some are still there (like the "higher" word in Under Pressure).

Do any of you know if the highest parts were the results of a cut/paste from the two nights, or recorded in a studio by Freddie, or altered with some software or what?

I ask because for example, in Live at the Bowl, you can hear that Fat bottomed girls has changed from the Milton Keynes bootleg... He almost coughed while singing "locality", while in the DVD it's different. And Live killers was heavily overdubbed too.
Thank you very much...

ezee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Mick82, Cut / Paste (or fly as it was known back in the analog days) .. overdubs.. your tingling spider senses are correct.. I was 'dismayed' within moments of watching the original release because it was fairly obvious to me that we were watching the picture from one night and the audio from another. Classic example, the opening number.. easy to spot if your a drummer... audio has Roger crashing away on the cymbals during the chorus or what-not.. but picture shows him playing the hats.. and a few other subtle but tell tale details to me.
e.

pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's nice to just have Queen at Live Aid and not all of the other acts, which I don't want to watch.

Dislocate your spine...

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, so audio and video from the two nights have been matched and that's confirmed... anyone has got any certain proof there are overdubs as well?

It's just a curiosity, one of those subtle ones which survive for years. I've been asking myself for years if really Fred could sing that well live, cause it's the vocal performance that I like the most among the dozens of concert I heard (even if the Kampuchea one is great, I only discovered it recently thanks to your torrent.. I never liked '79 gigs before that).

Anyway... the DVD seems great, with a much better audio than the "We will rock you" DivX I found yesterday (I've got the original VHS but no videotape anymore :( ).

The other doubt about Queen is why I still got "shivers down my spine" listening to the same songs after 15 years, but with this I don't think you can help me :D

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mick82 wrote:

Ok, so audio and video from the two nights have been matched and that's confirmed... anyone has got any certain proof there are overdubs as well?

It's just a curiosity, one of those subtle ones which survive for years. I've been asking myself for years if really Fred could sing that well live, cause it's the vocal performance that I like the most among the dozens of concert I heard (even if the Kampuchea one is great, I only discovered it recently thanks to your torrent.. I never liked '79 gigs before that).

Anyway... the DVD seems great, with a much better audio than the "We will rock you" DivX I found yesterday (I've got the original VHS but no videotape anymore :( ).

The other doubt about Queen is why I still got "shivers down my spine" listening to the same songs after 15 years, but with this I don't think you can help me :D

On the old video release I am sure I can hear two Freds singing on TYMD. This suggests that the original live recording is 'underneath' the added studio vocals. Under Pressure also sounds like it's been touched up. I think a lot of it is redone in the studio but that's only an opinion. If anyone has an audience recording it would be easy to compare and contrast. Also, I seem tor ecall reading an interview with brian about the original release. The question of overdubs came up and if memory serves he admitted that there were some. He added that Livekillers had been untouched (ha!) and that the band had been naive in not adding studio vocals and music, as many other artists have done (eg Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous and Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East -- nicknamed Unleased in the Studio).

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's why I prefer usually the real thing - sweaty bootlegs. But I admit the charme of having your eyes and ears so beautifully stolen by Queen. 22€ have been well spent, and who f***ing cares about studio changes :)

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So does anybody have something to say about the Live Aid disc ?

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anyone found any easter eggs?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm waiting for the HD-DVD release.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Screenshots perhaps?? :D

Killed by drones.
KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Has anyone found any easter eggs?

Do they still put these on DVDs? I thought they went out with flippers and letter box dvds

Snowdome user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know that everyone wanted something we've not seen before but I am surprised at what people are saying about this DVD. The sound quality is first rate, listen to the previous DTS version and you'll understand just how much better the audio is on this DVD than the earlier release. Also, if you want to know why we all love this band and why we know that they're the best live band ever just stick the Live Aid disc on wind your surround sound up and re-live the magic of that performance. I am more than happy with these discs but like everyone else I still want to see those elusive rarities CD's that keep getting put back and a concert I've not seen 20 times before. But for £11.99 I certianly can't complain.

Snowdome.

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 07, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Yes! Mine wont play in DTS onlt the stereo PCM. Anyone else having this prob?

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 07, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL wrote:

pittrek wrote:

Yes! Mine wont play in DTS onlt the stereo PCM. Anyone else having this prob?

Is it supposed to have DTS sound?

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 07, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KevoM wrote:

I'm waiting for the HD-DVD release.

Blu-ray for me :)