Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > QRM on CD - Jailhouse Rock

forum rss feed
Author

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is the chin of my enquiry with Brian's Soapbox, given the comments made about the DVD:

>>>Brian,
>>>
>>>Reference to your recent soapbox entry: and >>>our boys mixed them with just as much love >>>and care as the rest of the show.
>>>
>>>
>>>Can you explain, then, how they managed >>>to "insert" the performance of 'Jailhouse >>>Rock' in completely the wrong place?

>>Hi Ben
>>
>>Thanks for the note. 
>>
>>Where would you have expected Jailhouse Rock >>to come?
>>
>>Best wishes
>>Jen
>>FOR SOAPBOX

>Jen,
>
>I'd have "expected" it to come after 'Sheer >Heart Attack' as per the audience tapes from the two shows.

Hopefully, more to follow......

Benn
Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your answer is in the audio commentary of the DVD.
Freddie didn't want to wear the same thing during both shows. To annoy the director he wore pants during the encores of the second night so footage couldn't be alternated between both shows.

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>>Your answer is in the audio commentary of the DVD.

And what difference does that make?

Queen have taken this opportunity to apparently give what they believe to be the very best representation of this show.

The fact is that "Jailhouse Rock" is not in the same position that it was on either night in the set list and, therefore, is NOT the best representation of the show.

On the CD - which I am refering to - you can't see Freddie's fucking trousers, so it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether his clothes matched or not.

What you essentially have is what you'd get if they moved the WWRY / WATC encore and stuck it in after 'Save Me'.

It's either laziness or arrogance or stupidity at the very least and ought to be corrected.

Benn
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is rediculas... You expect one shot of Fred in white jean and the next in shorts and there to be no issue with continuity !

If you want the best representation of the show it has to match from a visual point of view.

Only an obsessive fan would notice the difference in the set list, however everyone else would have not problem spotting Fred with quick change trousers and back again.

If you are going to comment about coninuity, at least think about it first before you shoot yourself in the foot with a stupid comment, I am sure Brian will be highly amused with your feedback!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
riku_queencdr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Only an obsessive fan would notice the difference in the set list, however everyone else would have not problem spotting Fred with quick change trousers and back again.

Not (only) obsessive fans but everyone who has some knowledge of Queen's setlists over the years.

I don't consider myself as an obsessive fan by any means but I still think it is ridiculous they have put Jailhouse rock in that spot. Especially as they keep giving statements they want to offer us fans the best ever representation of these two shows in Montreal.

I really don't give a damn what pants Freddie wore (or if any at all) but it annoys me way more when they say this is "the ultimate Montreal release".
It is not. No extra songs (on the DVD) and JR is still in the wrong spot...

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg,

What is "rediculas" is that you haven't noted that I am refering to the CD release of the show, not the DVD; please see my second post for the reference. I have no interest in the DVD whatsoever as I have already paid for this material twice already.

Before you 'lash out', please take the time to fully read what other people are posting before making an arse of yourself.

Benn

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.....also note that on the UK release, the sticker on the jewel case reads "Taken from their brilliant concert at The Montreal Forum"

Surely, this indicates that it represents a single concert and not butchered together from two nights.

Flash and The Hero are also refered to as bonus tracks too. How are they bonus tracks when they were an integral part of the show and not represented on the discs as bonus tracks?

Small points, but important in terms of accuracy.

Benn
Togg

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read your post carefully, and you seem to fail to take into account that it would make no commercial sense to issue a CD in a different order to the dvd.

Never mind that fact that as I said only a hand full of 'fans' will worry about it.

But if anyone is proving themself to be an arse it is you with your whinge to Brian

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg,

>>I read your post carefully,

No, you didn't as you STILL seem not to have noticed that I am nat linking the CD release to the DVD release.

>>and you seem to fail to take into account that it would make no commercial sense to issue a CD in a different order to the dvd.

It doesn't make commercial sense to release something that can be found to have umpteen flaws in it.

The CD is not being marketed as "The Soundtrack To The Film Queen Rocks Montreal" and, therefore, anyone with an ounce of sense will see that they are separate entities. The only reference to the DVD is a small not on the inside of the booklet, refering to is as "also available".

Also, due to the fact that they are available on separate media, the CD and the DVD will also be looked at by different markets in terms of whose going to buy what, so someone loving the music, but not necesarily the visuals would have no interest in whether Fred wore trousers, shorts or a fucking skirt......

Queen Audiophile: "Hmmm, I wonder why they played JR after CLTCL at Montreal when they never did at any other show.......?"

QPL: "Aah, Freddie was wearing trousers at one show and then decided to play games with the director of the film and wear shorts the next night. Wasn't he a clever boy!"

QA: "But the Queen Concerts website and the Concert File both say that JR was played as an encore. Which is correct?"

QPL: "See the answer to the first question"

QA: "But the sound of the audience on the CD really makes me think that they'd been through a great energy number like SHA, so it just doesn't sound right after CLTCL"

QPL: "Freddie was wearing shorts though - it wouldn't look right"

QA: "But I'm talking about the CD, not the DVD"

QPL: "We had to make it look like a real show on the DVD"

QA: "But wasn't it advertised originally and explained by Brian as having been cobbled together in the first place from two nights in Montreal?"

QPL: "Ummmm.....errrr......yes, but Freddie was wearing trousers at the first show and shorts at the second.......or was it the other way round? Where's Saul Swimmer......!!!!!"

QA: "So a CD has been released that's like a jigsaw of a gig. Isn't thst a bit like what happened with 'Live Killers'?"

QPL: "Yes"

QA: "But they managed to keep roughly the same running order on that release"

QPL: "Freddie was wearing shorts on the DVD, so it's been edited to reflect that"

QA: "Are you listening at all to me QPL?"

QPL: "Hands in the air and sing......"We will, we will, rock you"

QA: "Hello!?"

QPL: "Tickets for the musical are on a 2-for-1 offer!"

QA: "Sheesh!"

Benn
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL @ Benn :)

There are liner notes where different pants can be explained and the concert can still have the correct set list. For example the Cream concert in the Royal Albert Hall 2005 was compiled of 2 nights and in the liner notes each song has a date, so the viewer knows when each song was performed. While watching the show I always forget about the 2 nights but I am fully informed about the correct source.

Now it's too late, anyway but it's obvious that the history of this product makes people look more critical than ever before.

I do not want any google ads here.

Togg

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yawn.... I think you are getting a little obsessive about this!

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg,

And you aren't? Your posting in MULTIPLE threads about this whilst making exactly the same point......

Benn

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine.

"Different pants"? I'd love to think that was a deliberate slip of the keyboard :-)))))))))

But you're right. 'Live Killers' was from multiple nights of a tour and presented with no further explanation. Regardless of the overdubs etc, we'r just told that the album represents that period in time.

We already knew which two shows QRM came from, so I really don't think it's too much to ask to have the setlist reflect what was played.

And including 'Flash' and 'The Hero', why not just tack them on at the end of disc 2 after a suitable pause to denote them as the "Bonus Tracks" they are purported to be as opposed to inserting them in THE RIGHT PLACE........

I swear that, one day, QPL wil release something that's flawless.

<<Hides behind his hand in shame for even entertaining the idea!>>

Benn
YourValentine

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's wrong with the pants? I am a foreigner...

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why not Jailhouse Rock before SHA? Problem solved...far more representative, no continuity error

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't understand it. If Freddie's pants are the main problem, why didn't they use footage from only 1 night for Jailhouse rock? I'm also angry that despite all the improvement we get once again an incomplete recording with an incorrect tracklist.

Thank god it was such a bad concert anyway. I can't imagine watching a butchered version of HamOdeon 1979, for example...

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

What's wrong with the pants? I am a foreigner...

When I first read it, I thought it was supposed to be "parts", but I also believe that "pants" is a British word for undergarments, and "trousers" is the word for slacks, jeans, etc.

That's how I interpreted it... I'm not sure how it all goes in European countries.

YourValentine

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, okay :)

YourValentine

Posted: 01 Nov 07, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double post

Trumpeter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My memory is somewhat rusty but I was at one of these two concerts that were filmed (also at shows in 78 and 82)and the band started the show with Jailhouse Rock if I recall correctly but not a complete version. I remember finding it odd that they would start a show with a song that wasn't theirs.

In any case I was young and those were marvelous virtuoso performances that I will never forget!

Be glad that they have been captured and preserved and are being put out for all to enjoy regardless of "the order".

You need a bullet like a hole in the head!