Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > QRM Spot the overdubs

forum rss feed
Author

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK I'll go first. LMEY guitar solo been done. If you listen to the old version you hear half a dozen scuffed notes. Would even go as far as saying this is a new studio dub done by Brian.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with that observation! Good catch. Though, I wouldn't say a dozen scuffed notes. Compared the discs I have and sounds like a couple of changes on the solo bit.

Any others?

Adam.

D@VID user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am a huge Queen fan but come on,does it really matter?

Hello all
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David, this is a Queen forum. We are supposed to discuss these details to death. It's the only place where we can have such discussions without being frowned at.

I do not want any google ads here.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

David, this is a Queen forum. We are supposed to discuss these details to death. It's the only place where we can have such discussions without being frowned at.

Apparently not...

To go by what Mr Mercury said in another thread, if this was a Beatles forum and people were asking about what was being overdubbed and what was fresh, people would really get into it here. Yet, for some reason, on a Queen forum, it's considered nitpicky to dissect it. I don't get it. If you don't like the thread or don't like what's being discussed, just go to another thread that you do like.

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey! FUCK the overdubs!

Let's analyse Freddie's white shorts! :-P

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

Hey! FUCK the overdubs!

Man, them shorts was short!

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Jeroen wrote:

Hey! FUCK the overdubs!

Man, them shorts was short!

...and what about TIGHT! 8-O

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

...and what about TIGHT! 8-O

He must've used cooking oil to get 'em on!!

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

YourValentine wrote:

Apparently not...

To go by what Mr Mercury said in another thread, if this was a Beatles forum and people were asking about what was being overdubbed and what was fresh, people would really get into it here. Yet, for some reason, on a Queen forum, it's considered nitpicky to dissect it. I don't get it. If you don't like the thread or don't like what's being discussed, just go to another thread that you do like.

Not quite correct, Lester. I did not say any of that at all. My point in the other thread was solely about Benn talking about one song being out of place on the CD's and I only used the Beatles' Pepper album as a comparison. Please dont paint me as the villian here.

The overdubs thing does facinate me as I would rather hear a live concert as is - warts and all. And i will read this thread avidly to see what was fixed and what wasnt. Most of the time I wish that any band whether it be Queen or not, wouldnt touch any live recordings except maybe to correct the levels of the guitars, bass, drums, etc.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF9900>Mr Mercury</font> wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

YourValentine wrote:

Apparently not...

Not quite correct, Lester. I did not say any of that at all. My point in the other thread was solely about Benn talking about one song being out of place on the CD's and I only used the Beatles' Pepper album as a comparison. Please dont paint me as the villian here.

Erm, yeah. Sorry, I didn't quite mean what I had written... I didn't mean it to be a bad thing, I meant to say that I was going to use the Beatles as an example, as you had.

My post wasn't meant to single you out or use you as an example – sorry if it came off that way!

The "apparently not" was directed at D@VID, not at you, if that's what you thought.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not wishing to wander off topic too much, but the interesting question is whether or not if it were YOUR performance they filmed, would you not want to correct your mistakes?

At the end of the day it is a creative product and most artists only want the public to hear there work as they intend it to be heard 'perfectly'

I personnally feel it is almost two different things the live concert you attend is a moment in time or almost a feeling if you like, the DVD of the concert becomes something that is there forever and then becomes something different and therefore needs to be treated differently, if in twenty years time it is played it needs to be a good representation of the 'band'.

I rather like the whole in-perfect VHS version and the touched up DVD they are both just as interesting to me.

I know many will disagree with this, but I am looking at it from the artist point of view, naturally a member of the audience would really want a perfect copy of the night 'they' experienced, which is impossible to do asit will be different for everyone and we all have selective hearing!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester thanks for clearing that up, I did misunderstand you a bit. Sorry for my part as well

Anyway, peace to you!!

(Off topic - are you doing any more Queen related books?)

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg, I think it's a matter of taste - maybe it's more enjoyable NOT to hear Freddie's voice crack on FBG in Milton Keynes for 20 years but the idea of this thread is to trace down the actual overdubs and that is a very interesting topic. After 20 more people posted off-topic comments (myself included), the thread will hopefully return to the initial issue :))

I do not want any google ads here.

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The WWRY-dvd;

-Play the game
-Let me entertain you.

And probably a lot more.

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not saying that Brian is averse to making changes, but are we sure though that they are overdubs, and not simply clips taken from the first/second night which wasn't used for those bits on the original VHS release?

However I must say that it does seem daft to me when they tart things up that we've already got on another release, and so it's clearly obvious when they've done it!!

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 07, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

However I must say that it does seem daft to me when they tart things up that we've already got on another release, and so it's clearly obvious when they've done it!!

I think a vast majority of people won't notice any differences. These thing are "clearly obvious" for only few Queen-maniacs and "nitpickers"... well, that means us. :)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 07, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL wrote:

OK I'll go first. LMEY guitar solo been done. If you listen to the old version you hear half a dozen scuffed notes. Would even go as far as saying this is a new studio dub done by Brian.

Or it could be from the other night in Montreal, being as it's a compilation of two nights.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 07, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was listening to this version of Somebody To Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt2jX1kaYo

Freddie's voice is just different, Brian's guitarsolo is much better on QRM and they just polished everything.

From the other hand I am fascinated how the hell it is possible to 'clean up' a recording but on the other hand I feel cheated because it can not be real what we are listening to on QRM.

But how is it possible with Freddie's voice, obviously he can not sing it again in the studio and if they recorded overdubs earlier, why didnt they use it on the WWRY and later releases? I know they had to buy the rights and so on...but still..?

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 03 Nov 07, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sunshine wrote:

But how is it possible with Freddie's voice, obviously he can not sing it again in the studio and if they recorded overdubs earlier, why didnt they use it on the WWRY and later releases? I know they had to buy the rights and so on...but still..?

As well as using overdubs from elsewhere, they may also have used certain software to correct any flat notes, or moved parts in order to run in synch with the visuals.