Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Pooh or not to Pooh - that is the question...

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 07, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6uJzQQ8Xo

After a few listens, I think I am convinced - but is it really, or is it just what I want to hear?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 07, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I offer a $1,000,000 reward to the brave soul who posts this question to Jen, and another $1,000,000 if she lets it get through to Brian. Maybe if you phrase it "Dear Dr. May, I just love the WWWRY musical to death, it's the greatest thing ever (along with orbs and comets, LOL!!!) and think Paul Rodgers is a great choice for Freddie's favourite singer. Did you rip off Pooh's theme for Millionaire Waltz?", you stand a chance a getting a reply.

Love the person who posted "Another similarity I noticed recently is that Brian's solo in "Radio Ga Ga" starts off the same as the one in Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn"..." Hard to rip off something when you pre-date it by 17 or 18 years. BTW, similarities in the Pooh stuff, perhaps influenced Brian, but not a rip off IMHO.

You know, good times are now.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 07, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would't be surprised as Freddie also recited some other music in his songs. For example the Brahms lullaby in Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, and the intro of Hard life

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The waltz melody used in both songs is more traditional than anything else. Technically, both songs are rip offs (if you want to call it that).

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's incredibly hard for ANY artist not to show their influences in their own work.

Pete Townshend OPENLY created the riff for "I Can't Explain" off the back of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me". As long as it's new and fresh, I don't see why anyone should have a problem.

What I do have a problem with is the ENDLESS knocking-out of cover versions that to nothing to develop or enhance the original version......

Benn
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Impressive. I should compile a list of plagiarisms ;) So far let's see what we've got:

- 'Bites the Dust' bass-riff (apparently)
- 'Waltz' solo
- 'Innuendo' intro compared to Diamond Head's 'Am I Evil?'
- 'Bijou' compared to Jeff Beck's 'Where Were You'
- 'My Fairy King' lyrics (thanks to John for pointing that out)
- 'A Hard Life' intro
- 'Loverboy' doing the lullaby

It seems that nobody can escape from the 'My Sweet Lord' syndrome.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
kween-iloveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i noticed the other day that the whole of "Love of my life" is a total rip of the Thundercats theme tune.

I LOVE YOU ALL
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy Thomas Raker wrote:

I offer a $1,000,000 reward to the brave soul who posts this question to Jen, and another $1,000,000 if she lets it get through to Brian. Maybe if you phrase it "Dear Dr. May, I just love the WWWRY musical to death, it's the greatest thing ever (along with orbs and comets, LOL!!!) and think Paul Rodgers is a great choice for Freddie's favourite singer. Did you rip off Pooh's theme for Millionaire Waltz?", you stand a chance a getting a reply.

Love the person who posted "Another similarity I noticed recently is that Brian's solo in "Radio Ga Ga" starts off the same as the one in Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn"..." Hard to rip off something when you pre-date it by 17 or 18 years. BTW, similarities in the Pooh stuff, perhaps influenced Brian, but not a rip off IMHO.

I'm actually gonna write the e-mail, even though you won't pay me. ;) I just won't use the words you did. :P

*Edit* Done.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Impressive. I should compile a list of plagiarisms ;) So far let's see what we've got:

- 'Waltz' solo
- 'A Hard Life' intro

Yeah... damn them for having influences.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy Thomas Raker wrote:

Love the person who posted "Another similarity I noticed recently is that Brian's solo in "Radio Ga Ga" starts off the same as the one in Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn"..." Hard to rip off something when you pre-date it by 17 or 18 years.

Her version of Torn was a cover actually. Cant remember who had it out before her for the life of me though I dont doubt it came after Radio Ga Ga.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Being influenced by" is completely different to "copying". 'Bo Rhap' having structural similarities with 'A Day in the Life' (and lyrical as well, in the "head/dead" - "bed/head" rhymes) is an influence. 'Innuendo' intro having exactly the same pattern as the one in 'Am I Evil' is a rip-off.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Torn was released by Ednaswap on their first album in 1995, 11 years after the release of Radio Ga Ga.

You know, good times are now.
Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian,

without Metallica covering the song on the Creeping Death single and playing it live a lot of times since then, only a fraction of people would probably ever have heard the song at all. I seriously doubt that the four or five notes of Am I Evil are a straight rip-off. We're talking 1990. Do you think any Queen member would have checked out Metallica's back catalogue this far only because they just had a Grammy with Stone Cold Crazy? I think the Innuendo-Am I Evil connection is a bit far fetched. So you could even say, U2 ripped off Metallica by calling a song "One".

Best wishes

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...speaking of which. Would anyone go as far as calling "Action This Day" on the Milton Keynes DVD (second half of the song) a rip-off of Nutbush City Limits?

inmydefence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The melody of the chorus from "We are the champions" is basically Ner Ner N-Ner Ner!... you know, the ner ner you make as a kid when you have something that you little bro, sis or friend wants, and you want to wind them up about it?... Ner Ner N-Ner Ner!! that could be called a rip off... but its genius.. because no one can ever right a more fitting "I'VE WON AND YOU'VE LOST!!!!" song.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... and Huey Lewis gets paid everytime Ghostbusters is played or shown. Ray Parker Jr. doesn't.

What's the point? If we couldn't copy, plagerize, or steal, we wouldn't have rap music. And that would just be a shame.

Tim June user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Action This Day" on the Milton Keynes DVD
- Nutbush City Limits ?

Interesting though. The main melody works in a similiar way.

I think a lot of Queens early studio tricks were inspired (deeply) by the Beatles.

life could be magic if we break free
Tim June user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I mean a interesting idea... no "though".

life could be magic if we break free

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tim,

I noticed it especially towards the end of the song, where Freddie improvises "action, action...action give it to me" or something. But then maybe that's just a sign of my nerdyness and old age. :-))

Danne user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 07, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

- 'Waltz' solo
- 'A Hard Life' intro

Neither 'Loverboy' nor 'It's a Hard Life' could be called rip-offs (I haven't heard the others, so I can't comment), they're no more ripoffs than Brian's arrangement of 'The Wedding March' on Flash Gordon (although that one is more obvious), but concious homages or quotations, in a manner which is more reminicent of Bach (who borrowed quite a bit, not the least from himself :) ) than Vanilla Ice.