Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Warning! Fake Brian May guitar gear!

forum rss feed
Author

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

Has anyone else read Brian's soapbox entry from November 7th (yesterday)?

It looks like some idiot is making Brian May stuff and selling it as official. That includes an amp named "Deacy".

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

It looks like some idiot is making Brian May stuff and selling it as official. That includes an amp named "Deacy".

If he's making it he's obviously talented enough to know what he's doing. Don't people post Queen concerts on youtube which is basically the same thing, yet I don't hear fans complaining?

If he's making it he's obviously talented enough to know what he's doing. Don't people post Queen concerts on youtube which is basically the same thing, yet I don't hear fans complaining?

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

I suppose my point was so good it required 3 posts, just a mistake!!!

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

He sells Brian May guitars, amps, etc made by himself SAYING they were made by Brian's team.

That's not like concerts uploaded on YouTube. That would be the same as someone selling you a bootleg in a nice case saying it's a new official release.

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

He sells Brian May guitars, amps, etc made by himself SAYING they were made by Brian's team.

That's not like concerts uploaded on YouTube. That would be the same as someone selling you a bootleg in a nice case saying it's a new official release.

Well i'm sure Brian's legal guys are on the case perhaps. Personally i think it's mad cause you're gonna get caught doing something so obvious

smileexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I may add my 2-cents.

I think the problem was in the wording of this particular auction...

In my view, the product itself is quite good - but having anything even remotely stating 'Brian May' could have (and has - obviously) caused a bit of an eyebrow to be raised by Mr. May himself.

We are all fans of Brian and I can almost bet that no ill-will was intended by the auction - or the creators of this product. I think the pitfall was actually using Brian's name without his permission and (again) in the wording of the auction itself.

That's just my own opinion...not speaking for anyone else :)

A.

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me try to shed some light on this issue.

The Orchestrator Amp, as it's called, is made by a Chris Mahoney, who is also making RS like guitars, under the name "Taylor Imperial". Now, Chris is not selling these items as "The Deacky" amp or "The Red Special". This was done by the distributor on an Ebay auction, not by Chris. A mistake that has gotten him in a lot of trouble. Chris has made it very clear on his sites that he is not associated with BHM, or Queen productions.

http://www.pedalpushers.com/amp.html

http://crafterstn.com/crafters/Crafters_Store_Files/Imperial_Finished_Gtr.html

http://crafterstn.com/crafters/Crafters_Store_Files/Imperial.html

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the record..

I am the fellow who designed pedalpushers.com website -- and with that said - while this site was created purely and 100% on a volunteer level, I can almost say for certain that (from what I understand) Chris had been very careful in how things have been handeled in the use of names etc, and references to the original.

If this is in fact the fault of the distributor then this is a real f**king shame -- !!!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

Don't people post Queen concerts on youtube which is basically the same thing, yet I don't hear fans complaining?

If YouTube quality is the same as the quality of the DVDs bought in stores, then yes, I'd agree. But these guitars and amps Chris is selling aren't toys that are a fraction of the quality. They are full-sized, and are being passed off as the real thing.

A name is just a name. The point is that this guy is making money off a design of guitars and amps that aren't his own.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So forgive me for being thick - but I have to ask.

I understand all the legal and philosophical problems - so no need to rehash those.

But if I WAS a guitarist of any degree, and I wanted the BEST sounding Red Special and Deaky amp, how would these 'fakes' compare against the other 'imitation' makes and models on the market?
Just because a product is licensed - does not automatically mean it is superior.

If it turned out that these sounded closer to the original and BETTER than the competition - what would be so wrong in buying one?

Sadly, being no guitarist myself, I would never be in the postion to find out - but what if...

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man...honestly...I don't know what to think.

I just wish I could login to the site and get MY name off that website.

Yuck.

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good point JSS.

The mistake was made using any reference to Brian or the Deaky so blatantly in an auction.

We all see tremolo copies, or other parts that aren't licensed on ebay...but I don't know if either of them used BM's name to clearly in the description.

That's not to say one copy is better than the other or more authentic to the original...I guess it boils down to legal principals.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

Now, Chris is not selling these items as "The Deacky" amp or "The Red Special". This was done by the distributor on an Ebay auction, not by Chris.

I don't buy into that for a second.

This distributor probably isn't a Queen fan, so who else other than Chris would they have learned the term "Deacy" from?

So was Kaz from KZ Guitar Works. Why isn't Brian going after him too?

Brian's actions are his own. Let's not change the subject. The fact that others have done similar things doesn't make the actions of Chris any less wrong.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

una999 wrote:

Don't people post Queen concerts on youtube which is basically the same thing, yet I don't hear fans complaining?

A name is just a name. The point is that this guy is making money off a design of guitars and amps that aren't his own.

So was Kaz from KZ Guitar Works. Why isn't Brian going after him too?

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know for a fact that Chris wasn't the one who posted the auction, it was the distributor. I know this because the distributor lives in Spring, Texas. And the auction was based in Spring, Texas. Spring is a suburb of Houston, Texas, which is where I live.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's fine...

But the fact that a distributor posted the auction doesn't make Chris any less guilty for creating the goods being sold.

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Recording by his toilet, does he think he's Joe Meek?

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May

Posted: 08 Nov 07, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

That's fine...

But the fact that a distributor posted the auction doesn't make Chris any less guilty for creating the goods being sold.

Legal issues are very complicated. I know Brian didn't have a patent on his RS or on The Deacy for quite awhile. I hope that's changed. Lastly, Chris' guitars and amps aren't exact replicas of the Deacy or the RS, they're close, but not exact. Like RS guitars and the new RS Classics, they are being sold as an alternative to what BHM is producing.

My RS replica was custom built by a Houstonian luthier ten years ago. I wasn't able to find a Guild at the time, and this was pre-Burns/BHM. I hope Brian doesn't come after me and the luthier that built my guitar.