Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen fans.....how you became a fan and what led to it?

forum rss feed
Author

Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it'd be interesting to find out how everyone on this board became a Queen fan...IE what specific event or thought or feeling happened in your life that triggered it?

For myself, I became a fan because of the show Will and Grace. I was obsessed with Sean Hayes!
He reminded me of my 9th grade calculus teacher.
Don't ask my why I never developed a crush on Eric McCormack, who played "Will". He definitely has a strong physical resemblance to Freddie and even played the role of Freddie Mercury in a (broadway?) play a while back.
At the series finale, they used the song "My Best Friend". I loved the song and how they used it in the show. I had no clue who performed the song but I wanted it so I looked it up on YouTube. I was surprised it was by Queen. I only vaguely had a picture of the lead singer as a pale, dark haired guy with an overbite. I actually thought he was very pale!

I watched the video and the attraction to Freddie was instant. He looked much darker that I previously pictured him...exotic like a foreigner yet his skin had a beautiful light olive glow to it. I loved him instantly.
Needless to say my obsession with Sean Hayes and Will and Grace just kind of ....faded away :)
Of course I could always go back and start watching Will and Grace reruns again so I could start a crush on Eric McCormack, simply because he looks like Freddie (It's the dark coloring, eyes, high cheekbones and full lips).
Maybe I will!

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watched documentary. Bought CD's.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 06:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I posted too much on QZ and after being on the board for about 4 or 5 years someone gave me good counsel to listen the Queen music. "Hmmm", I thought, "let me have a try". This is how it's started off for me.

Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry<br><font size=1>The FLACer</font> wrote:

I posted too much on QZ and after being on the board for about 4 or 5 years someone gave me good counsel to listen the Queen music. "Hmmm", I thought, "let me have a try". This is how it's started off for me.

LMAO!!!!!! That is the funniest $%^t I've read in awhile. LOVE IT! :)
Ok my next question to you FLACer is.....exactly how did you come to be on the QZ board (and have the mind to come back time and time again for 5 years) if you had no idea who Queen was?
Also, what exactly kind of crap did you post on here if you hadn't the foggiest about that which you were posting?

M.H user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mum played me A Kind Of Magic. I fell in love, and spent any money I could get my hands on, on CD's. I then bought DVD's. Soon I will be buying members of the band and then I will frame them.

M.H

A Kind of Magic
Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When Freddie died in '91, my mother bought GH1&2 and listend to them all day (and loud!) First I was annoyed, everything what your parents do sucks when you are 12 years old, but when BoRap sounds through our house the first time, I was blown away. I never heard something like this before and was amazed what a cool band they where.
Short time later, I rushed into a record store and bought "Live Killers" (only because of the frontcover - long haired Guys & A LOT of lights; they must kick ass!!). It is one of my favourite Albums still today. From this day on, they where my number one..(unfortunatly, a few month later I heard an well-known Canadian power trio for the first time..and Queen was "only" number two from then on ;-)

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was the samurai. The samurai introduced me to this form of aural pleasure when I was only 9 years old.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Girl with the Golden Pants wrote:

It was the samurai. The samurai introduced me to this form of aural pleasure when I was only 9 years old.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One horny day I became one.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was 8 years old and heard Bicycle race and had my Mom buy the album for me. Oh, what a nice bonus inside for an 8 year old boy.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably Freddie's impressive package.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Oh my....

unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I first discovered Queen in 1994, when my father bought ANATO; I was 6 then. I really liked the music, but I became 'Queen crazy' just with 13 - I decided to buy the Greatest Flix VHS; so when I first 'saw' Bohemian Rhapsody, I thought (gazing at an effeminate Freddie Mercury) "wow, what a beautiful and emotional man" :). That's how it all started... Now, I just realise how unique their music is and appreciate everything they've achieved.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1978 I was played Bicycle Race as it had a Star Wars connection - was hugely impressed with the film and the toys as a 4 year old. And got the buzz from there.

Have lost amost all of the interest (and subsequently sold my relatively impressive collection) in the years since Freddie passed away - the organisation is a shambles and a joke.

Benn
Phill the Thrill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not 100% positive on how it happend, I think it was just there...yes I know that sounds lame. I also always loved the highlander movie.

The biggest time period I can remeber is trying to find the Highlander TV theme song, knowing it was by Queen, but not knowing the name of the song. This was long before I had internet access, so anytime I found an inexpensive queen cd I bought it.

It took a long time to find that song, but I was never dissapointed with what i got instead. So i kept buying more, and loving all of it.

Now I have a vast collection, and my friends think I need a support group, and that I will magically appear whenever Queen plays on the radio, because I have some strange link with it.....the funny part is it has acctually happend a few times.

Ie: friends in the mall, Under Pressure plays on the intercom, I walk around the corner and my friends see me.

So yeah, thats my story.

Queen+PR Vancouver 13/04/06 anyone? Please FIND and SHARE it!
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Oh my....

That's interesting. Pieter told me it was John's package that got him into Queen.

earl court user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was working with Denis Devallance,met Jim Beach who gave me tickets for the Game concert, fell totaly in love with the music, met Brian who has nicely kept a lovely email correspondence and show tickets coming my way ever since! By the way,for all the stick that Mr. Beach gets from fans, I can assure you that at every encounter he has been a gentleman, and wonderfully generous with time and attention to fans!

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Oh my....

That's interesting. Pieter told me it was John's package that got him into Queen.

He must've watched Wembley '86 too many times. Those dinky shorts came alarmingly close to showing his little Deacon on more than one occasion!

smileexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The day I became hooked was 20th April 1992. I was in Grade 8 - 14 years old.

Yes - I'll admit that I was a very casual fan upto that point but I'll also admit that I was one of MANY who was turned on to the band from Wayne's World...

So - Easter Monday, 1992 - I go down to our local record shop and pick up what I 'thought' was Greatest Hits -- but it was actually 'Live Killers'. Nevertheless, I am in the car on the way home, and the radio station starts to broadcast the Tribute concert...

That was IT -- I went home and sat transfixed in front of the TV while MuchMusic had a 6-hour broadcast of the concert...with a LOT of commercials...haha!- I have no idea why I sat there, but there was something about the band there that I HAD to learn more about...and get more music from this band.

....and there you have it.

...for what it's worth.

A.

Miss Fire user not visiting Queenzone.com
Miss Fire
Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I watched Highlander

Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow