Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > mp3 links deleted

forum rss feed
Author

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Nov 07, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most mp3'ers have been weeded out of Queenzone.

There have have only been 4 topics with mp3 download links in the last week or so (the original Edinburgh 76 mp3 thread, the Edinburgh 76 Flac hoax, Cologne 79, and Chicago 82), but every one of these 4 topics has had mp3 links discontinued due to "complaints" to Rapidshare or Megaupload.

However, the one song flac link in the Chicago 82 thread was not discontinued. in fact, I doubt that any flac links in the last week or so have been deleted (unless the material was official).

Coincidence? I think not. Obviously a few militant flac hardliners have conspired to censor mp3 links.

Queenzone has a long tradition of avoiding censorship. The views of all Queenzoners, even if the views are unpopular (except in cases of extreme abuse or spamming), have not been censored. The ideas, views and DOWNLOADS of a minority should not be censored on Queenzone.

Unfortunately, a few flac'ers have violated that tradition. Perhaps these flac'ers were not aware they were on Queenzone, but thought they were posting on that censorship haven known as Queen On-Line.




Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 02:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but this sound really paranoid. Check the forum for lossless downloads placed on servers like rapidshare or mediafire. You will find out that 90% of the files were deleted. Does it mean that the mp3 lovers are guilty of doing this ?

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"You will find out that 90% of the files were deleted. Does it mean that the mp3 lovers are guilty of doing this ?"

Mike's links were deleted for "violating the terms of use" - other links just expired.



I do not want any google ads here.

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IF it's true, that Mike's links were denounced deliberately, THEN it obviously is a private war between 2 people on this board. There's no such thing as a "war between FLAC supporters and MP3 lovers", that's ridiculous. Some people are trying to lift the file sharing standards up to a contemporary standard. And as long as there are different opinions on what standards are necessary, there's a debate about it. And, as always, some people seem to overshoot the mark.

Keep calm and stay friends.


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer 2, I could not be calmer. This is the situation: Richard allows all formats to be shared here. It's his website. People just should respect the rules of this forum, how hard is that to understand? If collectors want a pure collector site like trader's den with similar rules, they are free to open one. I would surely join. I would most certainly not open one myself because I do not want to take the risk of running such a website, I am most grateful to Richard that he runs this website.

I cannot believe how users can troll a forum trying to enforce their own rules on a forum they do not own. Actually, I do not even feel like sharing anything at the moment when I have to expect that Bob pops up in my thread to teach me I have to find out about the lineage before I can post something (see Miami thread). Or 928 talks down to me because I chose a certain bitrate for encoding a DVD because he is an alleged professional and I am just an amateur.

I do understand that Bob was mad about Mike sharing his Cologne show in mp3 format but Mike deleted the link, so why do they have to denounce his other shares on file hosting websites? If we all would act like this - what would happen to this website or other fan websites, for that matter? This website is the most tolerant I ever knew but the users must be just as tolerant.


I do not want any google ads here.

Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's crazy.
Obviously this is something private between two persons.
Don't put every Flac user at the same level, it becomes quite frustrating. I'm more than sure that 99% of the Flac users only use this for quality and are as respectable people as you or me or anyone. It upsets me to see that you consider me as a terrorist. I'm not gonna put a bomb in your house or something, nor I'm gonna "skyjacking" Queenzone's plane. Bullshit. Put a term to these attacks. I understand you being angry, but Flac is not at all censorship, it is not terrorism, and that's it.
It makes me think about an attitude which is quite bad, being afraid or uncomfortable with a newcomer that wants to share something we are used to do since a long time ago, and not trying to incorporate its thoughts and all that, not trying to evolve with him. I used mp3 before. I now prefer Flac, I learned to use it (and it's not difficult, believe me !), and now I prefer that format, now that it is freely available and easy to use. I would be happy to see Queenzone evolve into something better (as far as quality is concerned), and would be quite frustrated to see it stagnate and being far from what technology (I don't mean top and exclusive technology, but one can be used everyday) can offer. that's it. But I will NEVER go into those terrorism actions you described.

Obviously, it is one person's matter. It could be Bob himself, but I don't think he is that stupid (no matter what your point of view is, it seems that he is an intelligent enough person to avoid this behaviour, he seems quite mature), maybe someone describing himself as a fan of Bob and having a taste for extremism or something, or a new trouble maker (we have some on Queenzone sometimes, I'm sure you know about that) who saws that Flac-Mp3 ideas were confronted, sometimes with bad words or so, and found it a perfect thing for making everything go wrong, I think more about this last thing but anyway I don't care. I don't know and I don't care. But that doesn't allow you to describe me, as a Flac user, as a terrorist. Such words will probably be misunderstood by a lot of queenzoners here, and I don't know why you give a bad image of me (once again as a Flac user) that easily. Mp3 files were deleted, for my part I don't care because I don't use, but I feel somewhat frustrated because I don't like censorship.
Well, have a good night on it, think about it, and start tomorrow thinking before talking.
Is there a jail on Queenzone where I could be thrown for some tims because I use Flac ? I hope not. Ok, this is not my website, that doesn't mean that I can't say that I wish this website to evolve. If it can't evolve, then no problem, I have tried my best to. But I won't go denouncing someone, just for that.
But anyway I think you don't want anymore to hear about Flac users. Flac became synonymous to problems here. Really don't understand why.

Olivier,
France.


wanna trade ?
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YV, you are perfectly right. But if some people (including me) are disappointed with the rules or the situation – in this case, the file sharing standards at QZ – it's just natural, that they try to deliver their arguments to the the site owner in hope that at some point he understands their arguments and changes something. Of course that's annoying, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't work ;-)

But after all it's all just about a file format, a simple hobby, not about life or death. So using terms like "FLAC Nazi", "war" or denouncing or sabotaging other people's shares is way overdone.

Lately there was a lot of talk about the FLAC/MP3 issue, so I think, if Richard is interested in improving his site (by accepting the wishes of its users), he will change something, e.g. by dividing the announce forum in two sections, even if it takes its time. And if he doesn't care (what's absolutely okay, he has done more than enough for us), someone else will present a solution, maybe by installing a new website.

By the way, the "Keep calm" wasn't addressed to you, it was meant generally.


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

So using terms like "FLAC Nazi", "war" or denouncing or sabotaging other people's shares is way overdone.


Since it was me who's invented that term ("FLAC nazi"), I have the question: how would you call the people who'd come to the hotel where you are living and tell you - when you should watch TV, use the toilet, read the newspapers (and by the way they'll tell you which papers are allowed to be read in their opinion), go to the restaraunt and have sex with parlormaid? No, they're not the hotel owners, they're the same hotel guests as you are. Find another word for them if you don't like "nazis". Maybe "Public Morals Administrative Division" will be good.

I know who you are, pal, I've seen you in other forums on QZ for over last 1000 years, but how about 80% of other the FLAC supporters? They're downloading their FLACs and nothing more, well except "thank you" and "I have nothing to offer back, but maybe on one sunny day... Who knows what could happens!", and they're trying to make rules over here. Is it okay? I've never seen the veterans making their own rules here even! Download and be happy, but please don't teach me how and what should I download.

EDIT: I'm ready to sorry for "nazis" if it hurts FLAC supporters too much, but it won't change my opinion about the whole case. I've had enough of those "life-teachers" in the Soviet Union, no more, please!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

But if some people (including me) are disappointed with the rules or the situation – in this case, the file sharing standards at QZ – it's just natural, that they try to deliver their arguments to the the site owner in hope that at some point he understands their arguments and changes something. Of course that's annoying, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't work ;-)

... so I think, if Richard is interested in improving his site (by accepting the wishes of its users), he will change something, e.g. by dividing the announce forum in two sections, even if it takes its time.



If someone has suggestions to improve the forum or to change the rules, they can email the website owner. (Just click on the "contact us" button and write "for Richard" into the subject line) That is the normal and polite thing to do - it's not normal to spam the sharing threads with ever repeating comments (I am not talking about helpful advice!)and it's not normal to take action against other users' shares. I am on many other forums and I can guarantee you that on ALL other forums such behaviour would lead to banning users. For example, on the German Queen FC board you cannot post any links to rapidshare or other file hosts - people simply obey the rules because they know they would be kicked off the website. Would you prefer such strictness on Queenzone?

As to the split into lossy/lossless forums - that was suggested before but it was made clear that the flac campaigners would not be satisfied with such a solution - they want to "weed out" mp3 sharing. Therefore, I have never asked Richard if he can provide for that. It would be useless if the solution would not be accepted by the flac supporters. Btw, let's not forget that only very few users are even involved in this discussion. Most flac downloaders don't give a toss if there are mp3s shared on the forum and almost all mp3 downloaders do not comment at all.



I do not want any google ads here.

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Serry: Call them "nuisance" ;-)

@ YourValentine: You are right again. But I like to add something: The "weed out" talk is as bad as the "Nazi" words. The stopping of MP3 sharing is wishful thinking, there are too many places on the net where MP3 files can be shared, and it's absolute nonsense to think it can be prohibited. Even if so, it wouldn't prevent people from converting FLAC files to MP3 prior to burning them to cd (maybe to avoid to have to use a Nero plugin).

No, the bigger problem is the attraction of careless people to the community, who just grab some files and then leave without any contribution. Ever wondered why so many shares end early? In my opinion it would be helpful to have a few basic rules (share ratio, moderation of the sharing section), but I can absolutely understand that the forum owner doesn't want to invest money and time. It's his own decision and I have to respect that.

I guess, someone else has to create a sharing community for Queen live shows – as a friendly addition to QZ.


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"No, the bigger problem is the attraction of careless people to the community, who just grab some files and then leave without any contribution. Ever wondered why so many shares end early?"

That's a totally different issue. There is no enforced sharing ratio on the tracker. Lately, we have a better distribution of torrented files and faster download speed. Still, very many users just grab and run. BitTorrents live from the great and dedicated sharers we have on this forum like Ginger, Sithmarauder, bokkepoot et al and some people you never see posting but who re-open torrents all the time and feed the late comers in a very unselfish and unrewarded manner. On Dime and other torrenting sites torrents die too, although there is an enforced sharing ratio.


I do not want any google ads here.

Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

quite agree, Your Valentine, this is a different issue. It's not quite the same for rapidshare and mediafire but it's true that torrents are shared here, and we can't force someone to share something to be a queenzoner. That's the main attract of this site, permitting new curious people to come and discover Queen in a totally different way, and then decide if they like or not, if they want to collect and so on... so it is a different thing indeed.

REgards,

Olivier,
France.


wanna trade ?
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course it's a combination of several issues that makes top quality file sharing difficult or impossible at QZ. There are many working examples in the internet where Richard could copy from, but it's obvious, that Queenzone isn't supposed to be a true sharing community. It's an extended fan board without much restrictions and I understand, that this won't be changed.

But back to my last post: Do you (YV) think, it could work – a true file sharing website, run by Richard or someone else, and Queenzone as "sisters", not rivals? Linked? You know QZ better than any other here, don't you?


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
josedequeso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 277 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cologne 79 and your other "share" (mp3 disguised as flac) were completely acceptable to be deleted because they were a flagrant "fuck you," so we had to do it ourselves because the mods were certainly not going to do it. And yes, I did complain on those 2 "shares" but I did not on the other two you mentioned. The denouncing of the Chicago 82 "share" I believe was not warranted but you could have easily saved everyone's time by just posting the lossless version. Seems pretty foolish to me.

And another thing, stop acting like you are a martyr and we (flac supporters) unjustly persecuted you. Get over yourself.

I do believe I challenged you a month ago about "censorship" but you never responded and just insisted on calling me a nazi, do you care to justify your position now or would you rather shout out rhetoric that can not be backed up with facts?


Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

@ Serry: Call them "nuisance" ;-)


No, the bigger problem is the attraction of careless people to the community, who just grab some files and then leave without any contribution. Ever wondered why so many shares end early? In my opinion it would be helpful to have a few basic rules (share ratio, moderation of the sharing section), but I can absolutely understand that the forum owner doesn't want to invest money and time. It's his own decision and I have to respect that.

You hit the nail right on the head Nummer, too often have I watched people get there D/L to 100% then stop seeding immediately knowing that there are other peers that need seeding. There should be a ratio standard (per show) set for all to follow.
When you do a search for a song on Limewire, your search result is based on the number of songs you are sharing. The more songs you share, the more results you get. The user can even set their own parameters. For instance they can set Limewire to share with only peers who are currently sharing 50 or more songs.
I get more irritated at the lack of seeders than I do at MP3 sharing, though I do understand the trading community's concerns and I am a FLAC supporter.



"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Nov 07, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:



Lately there was a lot of talk about the FLAC/MP3 issue, so I think, if Richard is interested in improving his site (by accepting the wishes of its users), he will change something, e.g. by dividing the announce forum in two sections, even if it takes its time. .


that's a great idea...with one huge caveat...the "announce" sections maybe need to be renamed....
"queen files - mp3" and "queen files - flac"
this would make it clear to everyone that neither section is available for idiots to "pop by" and "aanounce" how great they thought something was, or how they haven't heard from so-and-so for ages




go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 07, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Actually, I do not even feel like sharing anything at the moment when I have to expect that Bob pops up in my thread to teach me I have to find out about the lineage before I can post something (see Miami thread). Or 928 talks down to me because I chose a certain bitrate for encoding a DVD because he is an alleged professional and I am just an amateur.


Queen collectors must be the only collectors who take it personally when someone is trying to track down the lineage of a recording, or when someone stresses quality standards. Lineage and quality standards are requirements in every other major trading community, but here it is an insult to some. It's truly unreal.

Just take a moment, and look at these websites:

http://www.achtungbootlegs.com
http://www.nirvanaguide.com

They are beautifully crafted in every way. Virtually every recording has full lineage and they are lossless, because those fans care. Please, don't make me out to be some kind of enemy because I care.

I challenge anyone to give me a good reason why the Queen trading community shouldn't be something similar, and why it would somehow be a negative thing.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
928 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 07, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Or 928 talks down to me because I chose a certain bitrate for encoding a DVD because he is an alleged professional and I am just an amateur.


I have only done that when you argue a case of "how its done".

Most people who i have barked at have seen it as a hard line education.Which it has been because pussyfootin' around saying the same things politly DID NOT WORK(4 years ago).

Hmmmm..and
as the quality standards here at QZ have improved from 3 years ago for both audio and video ,with only the odd piece of crap now getting through ,i think we the quality standard people have done a bloody good job.

Myself and others do nothing for Queen or this forum eh???(apart from teach you how to get the best from YOUR BAND so YOU can appreciate what THEY have done at its best).

If you choose to be "woe is me" about it...thats your perrogative.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 07, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are just rude, no need to try and rationalize it. Put your money where your mouth is.


I do not want any google ads here.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 07, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has 928 ever shared anything on Queenzone?

Barb - I think you are being too hard on 928 ;) Of course he has contributed greatly to this site ;) He has been a leader for years at creating a hostile environment at Queenzone ;)

Of course, 928 does not care about the music. All he cares about is "crossing t's and dotting i's", piling on the insults, and looking down his nose at others.

If he really cared about the music, he would be uploading on Queenzone to counteract potential polluting of the trading pool by those who intentionally or unintentionally convert mp3 to Flac then share or trade it.

Indeed, he should put his money where his filthy mouth is if he truly cares about the music.


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come