Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > This is why I think Knebworth ’86 concert footage DOESN'T exist in archive

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Nov 07, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is why I think Knebworth ’86 concert footage DOESN'T exist in the archive....

1. Because I work there and the concert footage doesn't exist there, and it never ever ever ever has. Not ever. Not once. Not even half of once.

2. Because I work there and have seen the AUDIO tapes... and ONLY audio tapes.

3. If Knebworth film or video tapes were there somewhere (even out of sight hidden behind a box perhaps, or under a rarely used piano, or someone had mistakingly put them in the teabags cupboard, I think Justin or I would have noticed them by now over the last 9 years. We might even have thought to have logged them and labelled them. And I think we would very likely have thought by now of safety copying them... if they were there, which they're not - as I thought everyone knew.

4. Like most of you, I have seen only bits and pieces from Knebworth on various Queen docu's, such as shots of the audience, the helicopter arriving with the band, etc. And the odd bit of the band on stage, but only the odd bit.

5. Phil Collins covered the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows on his first (and unsurpsssed) solo album Face Value, in 1981. I know this is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, but so were a few of the reasons the other chap listed for why he thought Knebworth footage DID exist... to which I am responding. I wanted to say some things equeally strange and unhelpful.

THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY HERE people. Queen's last ever concert, incredible but true, was NOT filmed.Yes it went out on the day over the huge screen/s, but curiously it wasn't being recorded... as SURELY BY NOW everyone knows.

So do not set yourself up for a big disappointment. Do not expect what can never in this world be delivered. You might as well expect Jon Pertwee to come back in the next series of Dr Who, or Scooby Doo to marry Lassie and live happily ever after in a secluded Coventry love-nest rented from Basil Brush.

The odd moment from a few songs, as we already know, is all that exists for the visual side. But the full audio is there, so look on the bright side for a change.

I think it's entirely feasible that a great Knebwort product will happen, despite the absence of footage of the actual stage action.

Stop being so glib and bleak. I can tell you that one day a very great Knebworth 'item' might well surprise you a lot - that's my guess. I said this back in 1999 about the forthcoming Freddie Mercury Solo box... and so it proved to be. I'm not saying more than that other than that it could be much more promising than you imagine. Have faith Queen fans. And eat more fruit.

GB
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 07, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 07, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fat boy has answered so go wretches and be cleaned

martinjkstones
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What really annoys me is that there'll still be optimistic people (read : idiots) who'll ignore this.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

This is why I think Knebworth ’86 concert footage DOESN'T exist in the archive....

1. Because I work there and the concert footage doesn't exist there, and it never ever ever ever has. Not ever. Not once. Not even half of once.

3. If Knebworth film or video tapes were there somewhere (even out of sight hidden behind a box perhaps, or under a rarely used piano, or someone had mistakingly put them in the teabags cupboard, I think Justin or I would have noticed them by now over the last 9 years. We might even have thought to have logged them and labelled them. And I think we would very likely have thought by now of safety copying them... if they were there, which they're not - as I thought everyone knew.

4. Like most of you, I have seen only bits and pieces from Knebworth on various Queen docu's, such as shots of the audience, the helicopter arriving with the band, etc. And the odd bit of the band on stage, but only the odd bit.

5. Phil Collins covered the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows on his first (and unsurpsssed) solo album Face Value, in 1981. I know this is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, but so were a few of the reasons the other chap listed for why he thought Knebworth footage DID exist... to which I am responding. I wanted to say some things equeally strange and unhelpful.

THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY HERE people. Queen's last ever concert, incredible but true, was NOT filmed.Yes it went out on the day over the huge screen/s, but curiously it wasn't being recorded... as SURELY BY NOW everyone knows.

So do not set yourself up for a big disappointment. Do not expect what can never in this world be delivered. You might as well expect Jon Pertwee to come back in the next series of Dr Who, or Scooby Doo to marry Lassie and live happily ever after in a secluded Coventry love-nest rented from Basil Brush.

The odd moment from a few songs, as we already know, is all that exists for the visual side. But the full audio is there, so look on the bright side for a change.

I think it's entirely feasible that a great Knebwort product will happen, despite the absence of footage of the actual stage action.

Stop being so glib and bleak. I can tell you that one day a very great Knebworth 'item' might well surprise you a lot - that's my guess. I said this back in 1999 about the forthcoming Freddie Mercury Solo box... and so it proved to be. I'm not saying more than that other than that it could be much more promising than you imagine. Have faith Queen fans. And eat more fruit.

I know I said I was never going to post in this site again but, why must you be a pain in the ass all time??
I know that Queen fans are the weirdest, they complain about every little shit and even fight for stupid shit, but still, I think u should calm down about us and realice that u have a job thanks to us

:)
bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi GB...I just ran back a handycam tape i filmed at a convention during a Q & A session when the question was asked. (that was allowed by the way...!) if such a recording existed and why it had never been released. Your answer then, was: It was filmed, but during large sections of the recording the audio got damaged or had a lot of sound lost or in a very bad quality with subnoises that can't be taken out without the rest getting worse aswell...and that it would be impossible to ever re-record it as Freddie isn't with us anymore, and that although the images are superb, the sound is much too bad for an official release to Queenstandards...and that THAT is the reason why it will not see the light of day as a Queen DVD.... does this still stand?

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

I think the full knebworth concert coupled with budapest in a nice set would be great.Imagine this: the biggest show behind the Iron Curtain and the last show of Queen(which was an incredible one) in 1 set.

Don't you think, greg?

on my way up
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kids, learn to accept the facts.
It has been said by many people many times that the only thing that exists from Knebworth on video was released on Magic Years

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, I know a nice idea for a new Queen DVD.

Knebworth 1986, I heard it was filmed completely and it was the last Queen show with Freddie!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Kids, learn to accept the facts.
It has been said by many people many times that the only thing that exists from Knebworth on video was released on Magic Years
yeah, but the audio of knebworth would be great to have aswell. It would make the release of budapest more exciting. Knebworth has something magical about it because it was such a huge event, the last show and also because it was a great one. Greg says they have the full audio. If they can make it sound as good as QRM I'd be very happy. That would also mean 1986 has perfect concert represetation. The last show from Queen, the one which is most famous(wembley)and the one which was filmed best and had historical relevance aswell being the biggest show behind the iron curtain(and also a fantastic show, filmed in great style!)

But of course, I fear Budapest will be a released without knebworth being included. And just a second disc with some other stuff like a docu and some bits and pieces from other shows...

on my way up

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bas asselbergs wrote:

Hi GB...I just ran back a handycam tape i filmed at a convention during a Q & A session when the question was asked. (that was allowed by the way...!) if such a recording existed and why it had never been released. Your answer then, was: It was filmed, but during large sections of the recording the audio got damaged or had a lot of sound lost or in a very bad quality with subnoises that can't be taken out without the rest getting worse aswell...and that it would be impossible to ever re-record it as Freddie isn't with us anymore, and that although the images are superb, the sound is much too bad for an official release to Queenstandards...and that THAT is the reason why it will not see the light of day as a Queen DVD.... does this still stand?
You can easily proof it by uploading the video file.

What you say is totally the opposite of what greg says in his post above. You'll understand we need proof before we can believe you:-)

on my way up
Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suggest QP release :

- Knebworth : CD/DVD box (full concert on CD and a documentary with rare footage on DVD)

- Budapest : DVD (+ blu-ray and HD-DVD) : full concert, documentary of the boys in town and extras from all the other magic tours

In this case I don't think a live album from Budapest will be really necessary. Who needs 3 magic shows on CD :-p

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHY do people insist on suggesting possible DVD releases? Didn't you see Greg saying himself he has NOT seen good video footage in the archives where he's been working for years?

Stop daydreaming. QP wouldn't have any good reason to hide this kind of information.

And let's face it... Knebworth is special for us, Queen fans, but releasing 3 gigs from the same tour would be simply stupid.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just said a documentary with SOME footage, I didn't talk about the live show...

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie May wrote:

I suggest QP release :

- Knebworth : CD/DVD box (full concert on CD and a documentary with rare footage on DVD)

- Budapest : DVD (+ blu-ray and HD-DVD) : full concert, documentary of the boys in town and extras from all the other magic tours

In this case I don't think a live album from Budapest will be really necessary. Who needs 3 magic shows on CD :-p

Or even better, a DVD audio release of Knebworth with the existing visuals as a bonus.

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Greg.

Hopefully, and as you suggest, we may one day get a release of this concert, if purely for historical reasons as their last gig. A CD release of the whole gig (Live Magic still sounds better from a mix point of view that Live At Wembley), with bonus DVD of what footage exists, interviews with the band, documentary about the gig, interviews with famous people who attended? etc...

Greg - on an almost related point, I started a thread a long while back (link here http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=858678) regarding a different mix of the Wembley 86 vinyl release. Do you have any info regarding this please??

Cheers

dsmeer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I 'm not sure but the last live performance of the Beatles is also incomplete (and I am talking about audio).

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dsmeer wrote:

I 'm not sure but the last live performance of the Beatles is also incomplete (and I am talking about audio).

Yep, you're right. The common recording cuts out after about 27 minutes, and I don't think another one exists.

Greg...

Great, promising post. Loved the humour.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

bas asselbergs wrote:

You can easily proof it by uploading the video file.

What you say is totally the opposite of what greg says in his post above. You'll understand we need proof before we can believe you:-)

If Bas says that he has this on tape - then I can guarantee he has this on tape. He has nothing to prove here - or among genuine collectors.
Rather, I - like he, (because we are not privy to the inside story) would like to know how this official explanation has changed from one account into another.
If NOT a genuine mistake, (and let's face it - that is why they put erasers at the end of pencils) this original explanation then seems to me to be either incompetence at best - or at worse - deliberate misinformation, and I would just like to ask why in either case.

As I wrote in another thread:

"If the video footage does NOT exist - perhaps it could be re-created (in total or in part) from all the various segments or fragments which DO exist?

For example, I know that various 'Doctor Who' stories have been reconstructed, and that versions of 'The Invasion' the 'Ice Warriors' and the original 'Autons' have all been remade using all sorts of varying techniques... If so, I also like the idea that an official 'Budapest' DVD release could have an additional bonus Kebworth (or best of) disc."

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who says it doesn't exist somewhere else besides the almighty Queen archives?