Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Is It Worth It? (about Cleveland 23.1.1977)

forum rss feed
Author

tonimau user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all,

I have some FLAC files from this show, but as many of you might already know... this show´s recording as an awful lot of tape hiss.

What I tried to do was play around with the sound to try to improve. This would be my first "serious" remaster of anything at all.

I bring to you a sample of my work in FLAC format.

The lineage is: ??? > FLAC (from gr8kingrat website) > Soundwork with Audacity > WAV > FLAC

The details of the sample are:

From 0 to 10 seconds: original FLAC sound
From 10 to 25 seconds: remastered sound
From 25 seconds to the end: original FLAC sound

The sample song is Stone Cold Crazy.

This is an amazing show, even if the tape is almost crappy. I remind you this is still a soundboard stereo recording!

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?7jgknnhckbk

AND PLEASE, if this FLAC source is worse than any other available source, please tell me. I wouldn´t like to be spreading crappy stuff when the good stuff is floating.

The same thing goes for my remaster. If you think this is total crap, it isn´t worth it for me to share it, maybe I´ll keep it to myself.

This is my first work in sound stuff, so don´t expect something spectacular. Maybe I´ll improve over time.

I also remind you that this show has a kick-ass version of White Man. I mean, really really great.

(Anyway the remaster of all songs is far from complete...)

Mean Mr. Ketchup user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mean Mr. Ketchup
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tonimau wrote:

Hi all,

I have some FLAC files from this show, but as many of you might already know... this show´s recording as an awful lot of tape hiss.

What I tried to do was play around with the sound to try to improve. This would be my first "serious" remaster of anything at all.

I bring to you a sample of my work in FLAC format.

The lineage is: ??? > FLAC (from gr8kingrat website) > Soundwork with Audacity > WAV > FLAC

The details of the sample are:

From 0 to 10 seconds: original FLAC sound
From 10 to 25 seconds: remastered sound
From 25 seconds to the end: original FLAC sound

The sample song is Stone Cold Crazy.

This is an amazing show, even if the tape is almost crappy. I remind you this is still a soundboard stereo recording!

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?7jgknnhckbk

AND PLEASE, if this FLAC source is worse than any other available source, please tell me. I wouldn´t like to be spreading crappy stuff when the good stuff is floating.

The same thing goes for my remaster. If you think this is total crap, it isn´t worth it for me to share it, maybe I´ll keep it to myself.

This is my first work in sound stuff, so don´t expect something spectacular. Maybe I´ll improve over time.

I also remind you that this show has a kick-ass version of White Man. I mean, really really great.

(Anyway the remaster of all songs is far from complete...)

I can notice a very slight difference, but nothing which makes it anything special, which is a shame, with respect you you.. is there anyone more experienced who thinks they could do a better job?, thanks anyway!

"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MeanMrKetchup <br><h6>formerly Pred</h6> wrote:

I can notice a very slight difference, but nothing which makes it anything special, which is a shame, with respect you you.. is there anyone more experienced who thinks they could do a better job?, thanks anyway!

Well thanks for your honest asnwer.

I think you are right, this recording deserves a pro-remaster. Anyone with experience can do it?

EDIT: I´ll continue to do a small work on this anyway. Even if I don´t end up sharing the rest, I´ll keep it to myself.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With all respect to you, but I don't think this version of this particular concert could be made anything better.

You need at least a low gen or better master tape of this show for an enjoyable listening experience.

Well, at least you tried :-)

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Mean Mr. Ketchup user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mean Mr. Ketchup
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tonimau wrote:

Well thanks for your honest asnwer.

I think you are right, this recording deserves a pro-remaster. Anyone with experience can do it?

Perhaps you could try a different recording?

"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps you could try a different recording?

I´ll think about that.

But not this month, as I´m quite near the download limit, and I almost have no FLAC recordings in my computer right now. Also , I need to decide if i´ll do that and which recording.

The only full recordings that I have in FLAC right now are Cleveland and the Rainbow March Show (the new Pre-LP one). And I wouldn´t dare to touch the Rainbow show, it seems so perfect already! :-)

EDIT: Or maybe I´ll try some old concert in MP3 that isn´t available as FLAC in the Internet...

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´m starting to think about playing around with the Uris Theatre 7.05.1974 recording. After all, it´s bad... so it could need some tuning. First, it has a very low amount of bass.

I know it´s also a very bad recording, but I believe there is no need to remaster a good recording, it already sounds great as it is...

I´ll see what I can do, and if I really do something at all, at least I´ll post a sample later.

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tonimau wrote:

I´m starting to think about playing around with the Uris Theatre 7.05.1974 recording. After all, it´s bad... so it could need some tuning. First, it has a very low amount of bass.

I know it´s also a very bad recording, but I believe there is no need to remaster a good recording, it already sounds great as it is...

I´ll see what I can do, and if I really do something at all, at least I´ll post a sample later.

Something like this ? :-)
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1051957

Posted: 25 Nov 07, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

tonimau wrote:

Something like this ? :-)
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1051957

Ha! You got me! Didn´t know that one was already remastered. :P

Well, I think I´ll just continue with my life and forget about this remaster thingy, that´s for the masters...

After all, this is a time consuming task, and time is to short for me to be doing these kind of things.

Thanks for that remaster, by the way ;-)

indyclev user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 07, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was my 1st Queen concert ever opened by Thin Lizzy, I would love to hear any upgrade of this show that anyone is willing to provide. Queen left quite an impression on me at that first show.

Posted: 26 Nov 07, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

indyclev wrote:

This was my 1st Queen concert ever opened by Thin Lizzy, I would love to hear any upgrade of this show that anyone is willing to provide. Queen left quite an impression on me at that first show.

Well, I really hope that someone professional does it. In the meantime, I´ll do my remaster of at least some songs... maybe all of them later.

(I´m playing around with Brighton Rock right now ;-) )

I really am thinking about remastering this show after all. It can take a while, I´m quite busy, but maybe I´ll upload something before Christmas.