Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Say It's Not True

forum rss feed
Author

Roger Meadows Tailor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 330 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well at last its here.Something tangible yet something real.
I love it.Its got all the trademark Queen hallmarks,guitar orchestrations,vocal ensembles etc and a neat vocal from Paul also.
What do you QZers think.
Rock on folks.Now for the album!!!

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great :D

Totally Queenworthy, and I can't wait for the album :D

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not what I expected/hoped for - but it's great none the less :D

I just hope they won't update the rest of the 46664 tracks for the album.

Paul Mark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listening to it now and I think its f^cking awesome. Love the part when Paul comes in!

Nightjar_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nightjar_
Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not too sure. I think it's great what there doing and I'm not going to complain about the cover as it's nice to have a product again with a big QUEEN logo, but I do think the lead vocal should have be left with RT with BM and PR on backing. So overall yea a nice product, maybe predicable. Can it chart, as it's free, will it get airplay? Lets wait and see, now we've got the teaser looking forward to the album......

I was born on the 22nd floor of a bird cage
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MP3? They should've made it available in Flac. For this, all members of Queen should be banned from Queenzone. That will teach 'em who's the boss around here.

ps it rocks though.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest with you all, I think Paul should sing all the lead vocals as he has the strongest voice. Fair enough, Bri and Rog should have a vocal each on the album as they always used to but at the end of the day why drive around in a Lada when you've got a Porche! I like the Queen sound on the track, love it when Paul comes in, but I've never been a fan of this song. Obviously they weren't gonna give away something completely new, so we get another version of SINT!!

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm...

This is me being oldfashionedly critical:
At the beginning of the song I was realy disappointed. I don't like the backingtrack (strings). It takes just a little bit too long for the song to get going and think that it is too slow to be realy powerfull. Both Brian and Roger's vocals are a bit weak at times, cheesy and miss edgyness. Also I find that phasing effect on the vocals just plain crap.
I liked the live versions better. This sounds as a demo. Second time I listened I already found some peace with these elements though.

But THEN, when the guitars, drums and Paul kick in, it is totally fantastic and it moved me the way I expected and hoped it would move me.
Marvellous.
Good to hear Brian is playing old fashioned great guitarparts again! (I was realy disappointed with his sound and parts on MIH for instance...) That part sure has the Queen-classiness and power and it fits Paul greatly. Good job, guys!

I agree though, with what others already said,that this should realy be the last time that they put more then one leadsinger on a track. It should have been all Roger or all Paul. This way it realy sounds like three parts pasted together.

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry that sounds negative, I just wanna hear new songs without a guest singer being allowed to sing the last verse. I think it messes with the continuity of the song.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kirkpatrickuk wrote:

Sorry that sounds negative, I just wanna hear new songs without a guest singer being allowed to sing the last verse. I think it messes with the continuity of the song.

'continuity', yes that's the word I was looking for! ;-)

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with your words, Jeroen. The sound gets my hope for the album up. Amazing guitar and drums and a huge singer in the second part of the song. Still, I will always cherish Roger's live version which is simple and honest and never fails to touch me. I know what he felt when he wrote the song and it reaches out to anybody who ever had to hear the words "I am positive " from a loved one.

This song is a wonderful gift to the cause - and us fans, of course.

I do not want any google ads here.

g_pretender user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

Hmm...

This is me being oldfashionedly critical:
At the beginning of the song I was realy disappointed. I don't like the backingtrack (strings). It takes just a little bit too long for the song to get going and think that it is too slow to be realy powerfull. Both Brian and Roger's vocals are a bit weak at times, cheesy and miss edgyness. Also I find that phasing effect on the vocals just plain crap.
I liked the live versions better. This sounds as a demo. Second time I listened I already found some peace with these elements though.

But THEN, when the guitars, drums and Paul kick in, it is totally fantastic and it moved me the way I expected and hoped it would move me.
Marvellous.
Good to hear Brian is playing old fashioned great guitarparts again! (I was realy disappointed with his sound and parts on MIH for instance...) That part sure has the Queen-classiness and power and it fits Paul greatly. Good job, guys!

I agree though, with what others already said,that this should realy be the last time that they put more then one leadsinger on a track. It should have been all Roger or all Paul. This way it realy sounds like three parts pasted together.

I partialy agree that the vocals should have bee left to just one singer. Particularly Brian seems a bit off on this.
Rog had to be there as he always sung it live, and Paul's vocals on the final part are awsome.
Great guitar solo, caught me completely of guard.

All in all a mixed bag for me. Brian should realy leave the singing for Rog and Paul. (but that is just probably me who never realy liked Brian's singing in the first place with rare exceptions)

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed, Jeroen, I think the phased vocals are plain wrong and it takes to long to get going.

Strangely enough, I wish there were more Rodgers here, too. And, even more strangely, I hope the guitars did not overlap everything.

The last part is almost a finished Queen song, though. I REALLY hope it still grows on me.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great welcome back queen and paul rodgers the second half of the song is typical queen, nice to hear the red special again and considering it was a rush job it's still great.

ROLL ON THE NEW ALBUM!.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After listening a couple of times I noticed there's sooo much guitar in there. I'm really glad to hear that. There are some really great harmonies in there.

It really sounds like them, doesn't it? :D

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah yes, finally!

It seems like most people so far agree on the performance on this track.
The beginning really didnt convince me, it goes just too slow...bit boring.
However, i liked Brian`s voiced was involved in the song. It could been better though.
However, when the guitars!! and Paul section began.....I loved it!

I`m really beginning to be excited about the fortcoming album now.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song ONLY starts to really take off at 2:15 ...

Anything before that (especially the terrible keyboard arrangements during the 1st verse) is way below average!

The song itself is not very inspiring as the chord arrangements are overall dull (and too predictive)

I would have expected a more interesting song arrangement from Queen + PR , it's definately a try, but unfortunately below average!

Nightjar_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nightjar_
Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have they lost the meaning of the song? When RT sang it live there was a feeling what the songs was about, now it's been heavily produced but to me it's lost the original feeling.
WTF it's a freebie from Queen production

I was born on the 22nd floor of a bird cage
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting! There was hardly any Paul. Not that I don't like him, but I ain't complaining! ;-) I agree with the comments about the effects on the vocals. I just don't care for the sound of that, but it's not toooo overpowering. I do love the over the top drums and guitar. :-) Don't think this is representative of what will be on the album, necessarily, but it's got me excited!

Posted: 30 Nov 07, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like this arrangement, because it also shows the anger. When I look at the lyrics I feel the original acoustic version really didn't do justice to the anger that was in the song.

"say it's not true, say it today, when I open my eyes, will it all go away"
In my opinion that's a really angry and hopeless cry of someone who just heard he has aids