forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/12/03/venezuela-vote.html

After promising to properly distribute the profits from oil in '99 and clearly NOT pulling through with it, I couldn't be happier that Venezuela won't become a dictatorship under Hugo Chavez. I've heard too many stories of people who aren't able to have even the basics because the resources aren't there... thinks like bread and milk. I once saw someone on TV saying "We have oil but not bread. You can't eat oil."

Your thoughts?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, I know Mari is having a blast!

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's toast after losing a democratic election by a half a per cent margin, but it's always a good thing when the rise of dictatorships is at least slowed down by the people.

What I find more interesting is that yesterday there was also another election, where the dictatorship in Russia took another step forward.

Without reading the headlines of the North American media, I would guess that the election results of Venezuela (and the "defeat" of a sworn enemy of the USA) gets a lot more press than the situation in Russia...

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's going to blame his lose on the US and then become a dictator, he's one now but I think he might pull a Fidel Castro. He ain't going away.

Things in Russia frighten me more than things in Venezuela. A former KGB agent turn president who will eventually become a even more powerful prime minister. Let a new cold war begin.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, so he doesn't get to be the banker either. But nobody really likes him. The situation in Russia is strange to me, because everyone seems to like Putin:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/12/03/005.html

The Vote Was Not Free or Transparent
Vladimir Churov, head of the Central Elections Commission, gave a small group of foreign reporters a personal guarantee five days before the State Duma elections took place. "They will be the most free, most transparent and most suitable elections for citizens," Churov said.
Churov was right about one thing: The elections were transparent. Indeed, it was clear long before the results started coming in Sunday night that United Russia would win by a landslide.
More disturbing are the statements from numerous people -- including bureaucrats, doctors, teachers and students -- that they planned to vote for United Russia and convince friends to vote as well to avoid being fired, passed up for a promotion or given bad grades. The senior election official -- who was told to vote for United Russia and asked to recruit 10 people to follow suit -- said the pressure was coming from the party.
This kind of badgering is unacceptable. Elections cannot be described as free unless they are insulated from external authority, interference or restrictions, and no talk of the peculiarities of sovereign democracy can explain this away.

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Yes, so he doesn't get to be the banker either. But nobody really likes him. The situation in Russia is strange to me, because everyone seems to like Putin:

A lot of people in Russia prefer a Communist State than democracy. It's that simple really. I don't get it.

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Ahh, I know Mari is having a blast!

i was juuuuust thinking that XD

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

Micrówave wrote:

A lot of people in Russia prefer a Communist State than democracy. It's that simple really. I don't get it.

Communist state? The communist party is in the opposition with 10% of the votes... Just because Putin is a Russian and approaching a dictatorship, it doesn't make him a communist.

Chavez is much closer to being a communist than Putin because he's "stealing from the rich" and "giving to the poor", and that's why his defeat in the elections will be much more important to the US media.

As long as Putin is supporting at least a pseudo-capitalist oligarchy instead of capturing the businesses directly into state control, he will be held in much greater respect no matter how undemocratic the country really is. :/

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm another one who believes Chavez will try to use less democratic ways to keep himself powerful.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone who thinks that Chavez is done now is truly a new level of naive. A man like that, who has worked as hard for as long as he has to impose his will on the people of a country will not take a little setback like this lying down. Sure he looks calm now, resigned to his loss. But I can bet you dollars to donuts that he will find some way around this. Do not expect him to fade from the limelight any time soon...or quickly for that matter.

I am honestly more concerned with Russia, but I'll start a thread about that so this one isn't hijacked.

Formerly MHG

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

artemismoon wrote:

Micrówave wrote:

Communist state? The communist party is in the opposition with 10% of the votes... Just because Putin is a Russian and approaching a dictatorship, it doesn't make him a communist.

Chavez is much closer to being a communist than Putin because he's "stealing from the rich" and "giving to the poor", and that's why his defeat in the elections will be much more important to the US media.

As long as Putin is supporting at least a pseudo-capitalist oligarchy instead of capturing the businesses directly into state control, he will be held in much greater respect no matter how undemocratic the country really is. :/

Putin is a former KGB agent with extremist views, and there are a lot of people in the former USSR (citizens and politicians) that agree with him. That's the unfortunate truth.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

Anyone who thinks that Chavez is done now is truly a new level of naive. A man like that, who has worked as hard for as long as he has to impose his will on the people of a country will not take a little setback like this lying down. Sure he looks calm now, resigned to his loss. But I can bet you dollars to donuts that he will find some way around this. Do not expect him to fade from the limelight any time soon...or quickly for that matter.

I agree

The battle against Chavez is still far from over, but this truly represents a steps towards bringing democracy back in Venezuela.

If anything, this will be a wake up call to Chavez to realize that his ppopulist tactics are not working the way he expected. He will certainly try to find other ways to gather more power.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

I'm another one who believes Chavez will try to use less democratic ways to keep himself powerful.

I agree with you Raf, but for now, I can still say in my best "Nelson from 'The Simpsons'" voice" in Chavez' general direction: HA HA!

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_FIwX1tb8

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fyU7hnJsvas

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

HistoryGirl wrote:

I agree

The battle against Chavez is still far from over, but this truly represents a steps towards bringing democracy back in Venezuela.

If anything, this will be a wake up call to Chavez to realize that his ppopulist tactics are not working the way he expected. He will certainly try to find other ways to gather more power.

Well... that's already on the spectrum... there is a way with another law that he can change the constitution. But, he has to do something else which is a special congress to discuss that law, and knowthig things who are working this way he can't do that again like he did it in 1999. So... he'll lose again hopefully if he does it the democratic way.

Let's hope his war brain doesn't work, he has tons of death people behind him...

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And yes...

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY

*jumps on bed*

These Christmas are gonna be the best ones :D

josedequeso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 277 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 07, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

I am honestly more concerned with Russia, but I'll start a thread about that so this one isn't hijacked.

Well said, there is no way in hell chavez is stepping down on his own. Too oversimplify the situation, the Venezualan people are fucked! I feel very sorry for them.

And why are you more concerned with Russia? They don't have any oil :P

Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***

Posted: 04 Dec 07, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

Sorry, I have to tell you that's not true

Being 100% venezuelan, I have to tell you that I left my country 1 year ago thanks to the situation we were living there. Is that possible that i did have a career and I was doing more things there in Venezuela than my actual job and I earn 6 times more in this job than in Venezuela??? He just still from the rich and poor at the same time. And the only one with the benefits it's him.

He wants to make Venezuela as an extension of Cuba... but thank God people voted and not let him do that.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 07, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

josedequeso wrote:

HistoryGirl wrote:

Well said, there is no way in hell chavez is stepping down on his own. Too oversimplify the situation, the Venezualan people are fucked! I feel very sorry for them.

And why are you more concerned with Russia? They don't have any oil :P

Oh yes they do....how do you think they've managed to get the economic improvements they have gotten in the last eight years? Oil and Natural gas profits

Formerly MHG