Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Rogers comment on The Montreal DVD

forum rss feed
Author

Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Dec 07, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have just a little question to ask.

At the very end of Bohemian Rhapsody Roger says: “There’s a little correction, starts going flat and just gets himself in tune again”.

What does Roger mean by that, when exactly does Freddie go flat?


Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 07, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was on the commentary track of the new DVD.

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 07, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darko wrote:

I have just a little question to ask.

At the very end of Bohemian Rhapsody Roger says: “There’s a little correction, starts going flat and just gets himself in tune again”.

What does Roger mean by that, when exactly does Freddie go flat?


Freddie's singing is a little flat ( you can hear it) and then corrects himself and gets back in tune.
I think it's pretty self explanatory. Perhaps singing the song so many times, he lapses in concentration or experiments a little.

decampos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 07, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

Freddie's singing is a little flat ( you can hear it) and then corrects himself and gets back in tune.
I think it's pretty self explanatory.



Didn't sound flat to me. Maybe the version Brian and Roger were commenting on wasn't yet 'corrected' (like when they 'corrected' the crowd not singing during Love of my Life')

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 07, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

decampos wrote:

coops wrote:

Freddie's singing is a little flat ( you can hear it) and then corrects himself and gets back in tune.
I think it's pretty self explanatory.



Didn't sound flat to me. Maybe the version Brian and Roger were commenting on wasn't yet 'corrected' (like when they 'corrected' the crowd not singing during Love of my Life')


This, I think is spot on. The 'old' DVD (& VHS)versions are still available. So to compare, I think you would need to watch the 'original' releases against the new 'sonically enhanced' version.

That way you should be able to hear what Roger hears - so his comments may make more sense.

Sorry, I do not know how to 'capture' small sound files from DVD - or else I would have posted the 'before' and 'after' extracts for you to compare.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 07, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

decampos wrote:

coops wrote:

Freddie's singing is a little flat ( you can hear it) and then corrects himself and gets back in tune.
I think it's pretty self explanatory.



Didn't sound flat to me. Maybe the version Brian and Roger were commenting on wasn't yet 'corrected' (like when they 'corrected' the crowd not singing during Love of my Life')


This, I think is spot on. The 'old' DVD (& VHS)versions are still available. So to compare, I think you would need to watch the 'original' releases against the new 'sonically enhanced' version.

That way you should be able to hear what Roger hears - so his comments may make more sense.

Sorry, I do not know how to 'capture' small sound files from DVD - or else I would have posted the 'before' and 'after' extracts for you to compare.


Far be it for me to suggest they dont tidy up, enhance and occasionally correct bits of the live releases, but I dont think thats what Roger is talking about here at all - the commentary at that point from memory has Bri and Roger talking about Freddie's voice and abilities, and in that context Im certain the correct interpretation is that Roger was admiring Freddie's vocal control.

Admittedly I dont hear Fred go flat, but I think Roger is actually just hearing the different choice of notes Freddie often sang on various bits of songs, and in particular on that part of Bo Rap. This strikes me as an intentional variation from what he sings on the record, and I think Roger assumed this was a mistake which Fred then corrects, rather than intentional - he's only listened to it once after all.

As for the Love of My Life crowd singing - I dont have the basis of comparison to hand, as I dont have a working VHS player at the moment, but, is it not possible that they merely increased the volume of the crowd when it came to remixing the audio - this enhancement isnt really anything to get upset about if its just "turning up" the level of the crowd in the mix, as opposed to tacking on something from another show.


Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
decampos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 07, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:

Far be it for me to suggest they dont tidy up, enhance and occasionally correct bits of the live releases, but I dont think thats what Roger is talking about here at all - the commentary at that point from memory has Bri and Roger talking about Freddie's voice and abilities, and in that context Im certain the correct interpretation is that Roger was admiring Freddie's vocal control.

Admittedly I dont hear Fred go flat, but I think Roger is actually just hearing the different choice of notes Freddie often sang on various bits of songs, and in particular on that part of Bo Rap. This strikes me as an intentional variation from what he sings on the record, and I think Roger assumed this was a mistake which Fred then corrects, rather than intentional - he's only listened to it once after all.

As for the Love of My Life crowd singing - I dont have the basis of comparison to hand, as I dont have a working VHS player at the moment, but, is it not possible that they merely increased the volume of the crowd when it came to remixing the audio - this enhancement isnt really anything to get upset about if its just "turning up" the level of the crowd in the mix, as opposed to tacking on something from another show.



This is becoming a bit of a mystery. I've just dug out the VHS of this and the previous DVD release and I'll be buggered if I can hear Freddie singing flat. Yet both Roger and Brian *really do* make it sound as though Freddie was singing off key at that particular moment ... then corrected himself. I can't actually recall anytime that Freddie was out of tune (apart from when his voice would crack). Brian and Roger on the other hand ...

As for Love of my life, it's fairly well known that the crowd just 'didn't sing' at those two gigs for that tune. Queen productions are (in my opinion) trying to rewrite history and have quite blatantly (again, in my opinion) 'dropped in' the singing. Probably taken it from Rio or something like that. If you listen to the original version, it's as though you could hear a pin drop. I personally liked it liked that.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 07, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

decampos wrote:

Cwazy little thing wrote:



Far be it for me to suggest they dont tidy up, enhance and occasionally correct bits of the live releases, but I dont think thats what Roger is talking about here at all - the commentary at that point from memory has Bri and Roger talking about Freddie's voice and abilities, and in that context Im certain the correct interpretation is that Roger was admiring Freddie's vocal control.

Admittedly I dont hear Fred go flat, but I think Roger is actually just hearing the different choice of notes Freddie often sang on various bits of songs, and in particular on that part of Bo Rap. This strikes me as an intentional variation from what he sings on the record, and I think Roger assumed this was a mistake which Fred then corrects, rather than intentional - he's only listened to it once after all.

As for the Love of My Life crowd singing - I dont have the basis of comparison to hand, as I dont have a working VHS player at the moment, but, is it not possible that they merely increased the volume of the crowd when it came to remixing the audio - this enhancement isnt really anything to get upset about if its just "turning up" the level of the crowd in the mix, as opposed to tacking on something from another show.


This is becoming a bit of a mystery. I've just dug out the VHS of this and the previous DVD release and I'll be buggered if I can hear Freddie singing flat. Yet both Roger and Brian *really do* make it sound as though Freddie was singing off key at that particular moment ... then corrected himself. I can't actually recall anytime that Freddie was out of tune (apart from when his voice would crack). Brian and Roger on the other hand ...

As for Love of my life, it's fairly well known that the crowd just 'didn't sing' at those two gigs for that tune. Queen productions are (in my opinion) trying to rewrite history and have quite blatantly (again, in my opinion) 'dropped in' the singing. Probably taken it from Rio or something like that. If you listen to the original version, it's as though you could hear a pin drop. I personally liked it liked that.

Guys, just to stop the bold font in quotes , just add a [ /QUOTENAME ] (without the spaces) after "Cwazy little thing wrote:"


decampos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 07, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:


Guys, just to stop the bold font in quotes , just add a [ /QUOTENAME ] (without the spaces) after ""


I was wondering what was going on there. Thanks for the tip. This forum engine is quite 'old skool' I guess.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

decampos wrote:

coops wrote:

Freddie's singing is a little flat ( you can hear it) and then corrects himself and gets back in tune.
I think it's pretty self explanatory.



Didn't sound flat to me. Maybe the version Brian and Roger were commenting on wasn't yet 'corrected' (like when they 'corrected' the crowd not singing during Love of my Life')


This, I think is spot on. The 'old' DVD (& VHS)versions are still available. So to compare, I think you would need to watch the 'original' releases against the new 'sonically enhanced' version.

That way you should be able to hear what Roger hears - so his comments may make more sense.

Sorry, I do not know how to 'capture' small sound files from DVD - or else I would have posted the 'before' and 'after' extracts for you to compare.


Far be it for me to suggest they dont tidy up, enhance and occasionally correct bits of the live releases, but I dont think thats what Roger is talking about here at all - the commentary at that point from memory has Bri and Roger talking about Freddie's voice and abilities, and in that context Im certain the correct interpretation is that Roger was admiring Freddie's vocal control.

Admittedly I dont hear Fred go flat, but I think Roger is actually just hearing the different choice of notes Freddie often sang on various bits of songs, and in particular on that part of Bo Rap. This strikes me as an intentional variation from what he sings on the record, and I think Roger assumed this was a mistake which Fred then corrects, rather than intentional - he's only listened to it once after all.

As for the Love of My Life crowd singing - I dont have the basis of comparison to hand, as I dont have a working VHS player at the moment, but, is it not possible that they merely increased the volume of the crowd when it came to remixing the audio - this enhancement isnt really anything to get upset about if its just "turning up" the level of the crowd in the mix, as opposed to tacking on something from another show.



Regarding the Roger comment about Freddie, I think you are correct here, i don't think he was refering to anything other than Freds amazig vocal abilities here.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"