Author

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 07, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQU3eZtmKY

Hmm, now that this guy mentions it, I have heard Freddie do this on many occasions. This is from the Under Review/The Freddie Mercury Story DVD.

mr bad guy 5656 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 07, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh well, freddie's voice was so strong.

but indeed, he wasn't supernatural. it's not a shame freddie didn't always reach the very high notes (wembley for example), but sometimes he really did (milton keynes). but on the other hand, I prefer freddie realizing he wouldn't reach the high notes and solving that problem by using that 'hard voice', or just singing it a bit lower, but still very powerfull. he often tried to reach the high notes, but failed (japan '81 tour). what does it matter in the end? most rockstars never (!) reach the high notes in concert. most rockstars don't make a connection with their crowd like freddie did. most rockstars don't deliver a show like freddie did. and 'framför allt': most rockstars don't write beautiful songs like freddie did.

oh yes, another little thing, using that 'hard voice' is rather a quality than a shame if you have to win over 100,000 people.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 07, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to hear more about the prominent front teeth! I wanna I wanna I WANNA!!!

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 07, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All in all, given the amount of touring they did, and, the difficulty he had with the nodules, I think Freddie sounded amazing live, in most cases. Of course, every singer who does that much live performing is going to have off moments...the odds are in favor of that.

It is all random
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 07, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something which Freddie did, and admitted to, was sing incorrectly. He would NOT sing from his stomach, he would sing from his throat. This irratated his nodules.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Roger Meadows Tailor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 330 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.*.Messenger: Jake Pyndle.*. wrote:

Something which Freddie did, and admitted to, was sing incorrectly. He would NOT sing from his stomach, he would sing from his throat. This irratated his nodules.

Plus the fact that singing under the heat produced from the lighting rig also causes you to lose notes from time to time.He used to compensate for that by having carbonated drinks lying around handy (although lager/beer is not necessarily a good one for that purpose as alchohol tends to dry your throat up)

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
Barbie Jupiter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THe ability to CONTROL your voice is the most important thing for singer! It is the secret of success:> Freddie was perfect in that!!!

Barbie Jupiter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and, wahh...XD He was doing it not only live!.. You can hear that in almost every song!! Very clear in "I was born to love you", for ex, you can hear.

olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This bloke is a wanker. I hate it when people try to analyse it in a negative way. Analyse him if you want to be as good as him, which there is very little chance of, but otherwise dont try and make yourlself look good by making other people look bad.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

olly1988 wrote:

This bloke is a wanker. I hate it when people try to analyse it in a negative way. Analyse him if you want to be as good as him, which there is very little chance of, but otherwise dont try and make yourlself look good by making other people look bad.

stepford alert...

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A complete FUCKWIT wrote:

He didn't say a single negative thing. He just pointed out a technique Freddie used to employ.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live, he was an entertainer. In the studio, he was a musician.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Live, he was an entertainer. In the studio, he was a musician.

Concerts like Milton Keynes ’82, Montreal ’81 and Hammersmith ’79, Houston ’77 etc; where Freddie reaches the high notes are considered to be some of greatest performances (VOCALLY) of all time. That means that Freddie has already proven him self to be one of the greatest (live) singers of all time. He being an entertainer is totally true but if Freddie wanted to hit the high notes, he could do so during his concerts (Live aid ’85). Sometimes he just wasn’t enough interested and than he just concentrated on the showmanship.

Wiley user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darko wrote:

Sometimes he just wasn’t enough interested and than he just concentrated on the showmanship.

He wasn't interested? Hahaha :). Freddie was, after all HUMAN! (Sorry if this upsets some of you, guys).

There is no way a singer who wasn't properly trained can give 3 to 5 two hour shows a week for 8 to 10 weeks and reach all the hight notes every time, particularly in songs as demanding as Queen's.

Freddie did it when he knew he could. If not, he would just avoid it. Add years of singing, touring and smoking, and it gets worse.

Compare Stockholm 86 to Wembley. There is a difference... and that wasn't a particularly long tour.

Consider Freddie in what I consider his prime voice-wise: 1980-81. Imagine his voice after singing Play the Game, Killer Queen, Get down make love and then Love of My life in its original studio pitch, in a row.

I imagine it would sound like... late The Works gigs :(.

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some people don't take into consideration that Freddie was actually a baritone. That's why he wasn't able to hit those high notes in concert and that's why he often cracked when trying to reach them.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was a great live singer. When he was at his best he was really impressive. Here's a list of my favourite shows
-Newcastle 4/12/79
-Hammy'79
-Milton keynes official release
-Queen rock montreal
-Tokyo 9/5/85
-Brussels 24/8/84
-Buenos Aires 8/3/81
-Puebla 17/10/81
-many others:-)

BUT he couldn't sing the songs like he did in the studio. He always pushed his voice to the limit and it was obviously too much to take for his voice in a live concert.He sang really careful, always making sure his voice would not crack.

Even the most fanatic Freddie addicts will agree with me that freddie had some really weak shows(japan'79,ouch!, japan'82watch the video.) and sometimes entire periods(live killers tour is actually not too good) in which his voice was not there. He could compensate it with passion at times but not always. He was always a great entertainer but not always a great singer live.

I'm a great Zeppelin fan too and people here should listen to plant in the years 68-72. He sings with much more variation,power and range than freddie. Altough I prefer freddie as overall singer(he's my favourite singer of all!), as live vocalist Plant is better. But since I'm such a big fan of freddie, this is something I only say to other Queen fans:-)So do'nt stone me;-)

on my way up

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will not stone you, however, I WILL disagree with this portion of your post. I am also a Zep fan, however, I cannot agree that Plant sang with more power, range variation than Freddie.

on my way up wrote:

I'm a great Zeppelin fan too and people here should listen to plant in the years 68-72. He sings with much more variation,power and range than freddie. Altough I prefer freddie as overall singer(he's my favourite singer of all!), as live vocalist Plant is better. But since I'm such a big fan of freddie, this is something I only say to other Queen fans:-)So do'nt stone me;-)

It is all random
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 07, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing is, Robert Plant is a good singer. But he's not even 10% of what he was in his golden years.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 07, 05:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

The thing is, Robert Plant is a good singer. But he's not even 10% of what he was in his golden years.
I agree completely. I was referring to his golden days:-)

on my way up

Posted: 13 Dec 07, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No question he is/was a good singer. It is just that I would not say he has more power and range than Freddie. I would say that he has more power and range than...Roger Daltrey, or, Steven Tyler, but, definitely not Freddie.

Sebastian wrote:

It is all random