Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What you think about that...(Mika)

forum rss feed
Author

queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY31YyAjVQ
Pay attention in 3:20 - 4:10...
My personal appeal to Brian and Roger is:Record at least one song with that boy,i think it will be fab...

"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doesn't sound like Freddie, it sounds like someone doing a comedy of the song. And he forgot the lyrics that most people know.

His music is more poppy than anything Queen have done.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it dont matter,many will try,many will fail,and make no mistake somday someone will come along and be better then freddie.get used to it.he wasnt god.he was just a good singer.

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

someday

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

galashiels wrote:

it dont matter,many will try,many will fail,and make no mistake somday someone will come along and be better then freddie.get used to it.he wasnt god.he was just a good singer.

If you are talking to me, I haven't heard anyone else better than Freddie. It's hard to tell who's the best, he's just my personal favorite. I don't, and never have, considered Freddie a god. He wasn't a good singer though. He was an excellent singer.

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

messenger.no not just you.all my friends on queenzone.freddie was a good singer.but lets remember people like mccartney.simmons.judas priest.fred was good .but like i said.someday someone better will come along.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.*.Messenger: Jake Pyndle.*. wrote:

If you are talking to me, I haven't heard anyone else better than Freddie. It's hard to tell who's the best, he's just my personal favorite. I don't, and never have, considered Freddie a god. He wasn't a good singer though. He was an excellent singer.

Exactly! Messenger made the point that a lot of people seem to be missing here 'he's just my personal favorite' He's the best for *me*. Nobody's denying the vocal skills of McCartney, Simmons and Halford but why is it such a crime to defend your *personal* choice of vocalist?

Over the last 16 years, there's been a gradual build up of divisions within Queen fandom.
I'll concede that some people are rather obsessive in their vehement rejection of Brian and Roger's new venture but on the other hand, that 'oh, you're just a Stepford' comment is both trite and rather insulting to the contribution made to the band by Freddie during his life.

The use of superlatives like 'best' and 'greatest' are only ever going to be subjective but if you can't come to a Queen forum and share your biased yet enthusiastic love for the guys-then where can you do it?!

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

galashiels wrote:

messenger.no not just you.all my friends on queenzone.freddie was a good singer.but lets remember people like mccartney.simmons.judas priest.fred was good .but like i said.someday someone better will come along.

They weren't as versatile.!

Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent post, as usual.

saltnvinegar wrote:

Exactly! Messenger made the point that a lot of people seem to be missing here 'he's just my personal favorite' He's the best for *me*. Nobody's denying the vocal skills of McCartney, Simmons and Halford but why is it such a crime to defend your *personal* choice of vocalist?

Over the last 16 years, there's been a gradual build up of divisions within Queen fandom.
I'll concede that some people are rather obsessive in their vehement rejection of Brian and Roger's new venture but on the other hand, that 'oh, you're just a Stepford' comment is both trite and rather insulting to the contribution made to the band by Freddie during his life.

The use of superlatives like 'best' and 'greatest' are only ever going to be subjective but if you can't come to a Queen forum and share your biased yet enthusiastic love for the guys-then where can you do it?!

It is all random
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like Mika, but I think it'd be a big mistake on both parts for them to record together. Queen and Mika are both doing just fine on their own.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

Exactly! Messenger made the point that a lot of people seem to be missing here 'he's just my personal favorite' He's the best for *me*.

(...) but why is it such a crime to defend your *personal* choice of vocalist?

(...) I'll concede that some people are rather obsessive in their vehement rejection of Brian and Roger's new venture but on the other hand, that 'oh, you're just a Stepford' comment is both trite and rather insulting to the contribution made to the band by Freddie during his life.

Very good post, and I agree that we all should respect the ones who don't wanna see Queen+PR... But some people disrespect the fans who do and they insult the contribution made to the band by Brian and Roger.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
emma246000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenfanbg wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY31YyAjVQ
Pay attention in 3:20 - 4:10...
My personal appeal to Brian and Roger is:Record at least one song with that boy,i think it will be fab...

Well, MIKA has his own unique sound and style of music but I think its wrong to say that he sounds like Freddie..Freddie Mercury was a power house..not a singer..A Power House! He's a legend in my book..On Nov.24th 1991- the music industry suffered its biggest loss to date..Long Live Freddie!

A Queen Fan From Down-Under
Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie would kick Mika's ass!

queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My point is that Mika is much much much much muche aaaand much better then Paul...

"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"
saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenfanbg wrote:

My point is that Mika is much much much much muche aaaand much better then Paul...

The thing about Mika is, whether he likes it or not, he has drawn some comparisons to early Freddie vocally (not musically-'Lollipop' is no 'March of the Black Queen' is it?)
You can't deny he can reach the high notes but I honestly don't think he has the range, maturity and sheer power to take on a lot of the material in Queen's back catalogue.

What's more, to have him bounching around fronting a band of guys pushing 60 would, in my opinion, look a little out of place.

Paul, whilst not a top favourite of mine, isn't attempting an impersonation. Sure, he does tend to belt out Queen's rockier songs in a rather predictable way (the warble) but I do like the fact that they've teamed up with one of their peers. Importantly,he is a similar age (despite the nip/tuck)
Something always jars when I see Brian and Roger with the likes of 5ive, the youthful cast of WWRY, the hopefuls on American Idol etc At least in performing with one of their own generation, they can maintain a certain dignity.

mizz_smash user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i honestly dont know how people relate Freddie to Mika...they sound nothing alike, and the songs they sing are completely different. The only Queen material that i think is even close to Mika is Brighton Rock.

Love never dies...it just gets pushed into the shadows.
Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

queenfanbg wrote:

The thing about Mika is, whether he likes it or not, he has drawn some comparisons to early Freddie vocally (not musically-'Lollipop' is no 'March of the Black Queen' is it?)
You can't deny he can reach the high notes but I honestly don't think he has the range, maturity and sheer power to take on a lot of the material in Queen's back catalogue.

What's more, to have him bounching around fronting a band of guys pushing 60 would, in my opinion, look a little out of place.

Paul, whilst not a top favourite of mine, isn't attempting an impersonation. Sure, he does tend to belt out Queen's rockier songs in a rather predictable way (the warble) but I do like the fact that they've teamed up with one of their peers. Importantly,he is a similar age (despite the nip/tuck)
Something always jars when I see Brian and Roger with the likes of 5ive, the youthful cast of WWRY, the hopefuls on American Idol etc At least in performing with one of their own generation, they can maintain a certain dignity.

Exactly... and when Mika writes music, it's in the same genre as Britney Spears. Bubblegum pop! Freddie's never written anything as poppy as Mika has. If you call things on Hot Space, like Body Language, poppy... well, it's a bit more mature than things Mika would do.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

galashiels wrote:

shut the fuck up you stupid low creature with no intelligence!! Freddie was/is/will always be the god of music by far and NO ONE can EVER come close!

get that through your head you stupid low creature!

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika is a talentless bitch, he is freddies urine

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

Nobody's denying the vocal skills of McCartney, Simmons and Halford

Can I?

We're talking about best rock vocalists and these three get brought up? Huh? Rob Halford?!?!

Yeah, they could sing, but what garage band CAN'T find a singer to cover those tunes?

Try picking or comparing Freddie to someone with some real vocal talent: Daryl Hall, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Bobby Kimball, Jon Anderson, etc. These are all guys who had much longer careers than Freddie and they never had the live vocal trouble that he did. Or such a dramatic change in their voice as Freddie did later on. While Perry burned his voice out from touring too much, there are plenty of great singers out there that sing in a similar style still going strong today.

Treasure Moment wrote:

Mika is a talentless bitch, he is freddies urine

Ah, a taste test. You go ahead.